Topics

KST frustration

mike G6TRM

I took part in the 2nd 5.7/10GHz contest today (Sunday) but gave up in frustration due to amount of time wasted, waiting on stations/callsigns who do not bother to answer any messages sent to them. I know KST is not just for contesters but over 40% of the inquiries I made ( mostly UK stations) remained un-answered. many were multiple requests but still no answer.
There must be some who want to watch the site but there is a facility to do that and not participate.You can also indicate what bands you have available, so why all these inconsiderate spoilers...
please please, be considerate.... use the (away) if you are not active...its not that hard..

PS A big thank you to all the other stations that I spoke to and those I didn't who made the effort.....

Mike G6TRM

Steve G4HTZ

Hi mike 
i share your pain .
i had the same during the 24ghz contest ....only one station answered and tried the path ....others didn't show any response .....why log in if your not going to have the courtesy to reply ...or set your status away .

anyway 24ghz off the mast now ...seems a bit of a waste of time having a home station on that band .

hope you worked a few people ....

steve G4HTZ 

John Lemay

Mike

I gave up early too. I share your frustration at users of 'KST who do not reply. In a busy contest, such as the major IARU events, there is so much traffic that it's easy to miss a request or reply, but that wasn't the case today. My biggest gripe was the French stations, where I had a 100% failure to raise a sked. Consequently, no contacts in that direction.

The other issue today was having a contest and a microwave round table concurrently. Enough said.

But I really do sympathise with your frustration - you took the time and effort to go /P, all for a handful of contacts.

Regards

John G4ZTR

-----Original Message-----
From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io [mailto:UKMicrowaves@groups.io] On Behalf Of mike G6TRM via Groups.Io
Sent: 30 June 2019 16:45
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: [UKMicrowaves] KST frustration

I took part in the 2nd 5.7/10GHz contest today (Sunday) but gave up in frustration due to amount of time wasted, waiting on stations/callsigns who do not bother to answer any messages sent to them. I know KST is not just for contesters but over 40% of the inquiries I made ( mostly UK stations) remained un-answered. many were multiple requests but still no answer.
There must be some who want to watch the site but there is a facility to do that and not participate.You can also indicate what bands you have available, so why all these inconsiderate spoilers...
please please, be considerate.... use the (away) if you are not active...its not that hard..

PS A big thank you to all the other stations that I spoke to and those I didn't who made the effort.....

Mike G6TRM

mike G6TRM

Hi Steve, I have a 24GHz system that I need to repair, I cannot get enough enthusiasm to repair it because I'm too isolated, ironically I might have been able to work you but with the greatest respect, buying it, getting it all ready, loading everything up, setting up, then getting one contact per contest, soul destroying. I know we should keep trying and encourage more on the band but I will put my efforts into parts of the hobby that gives a better return...It will happen, 10GHz started with a few on WB, now one of the most popular bands ( just not today!!)

73 Mike G6TRM

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2019 7:26 PM
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] KST frustration

Hi mike 
i share your pain .
i had the same during the 24ghz contest ....only one station answered and tried the path ....others didn't show any response .....why log in if your not going to have the courtesy to reply ...or set your status away .

anyway 24ghz off the mast now ...seems a bit of a waste of time having a home station on that band .

steve G4HTZ 

Graham G3VKV

When you are a single operator working two bands (or more) full attention to KST when you are trying for a difficult contact is not easy.
Especially when several stations call and demand immediate attention.
Don't give up, try and analyse when someone is going to be free you will find it does work.
Put a general call out and get others to call you. See if you can cope when three reply at once.
Keep at it,  it is worth it in the end.

73 Graham G3VKV

mike G6TRM

Hi John,
The sunny weather today gave a false indicator of good conditions, Lots of heavy QSB, stations 59 then lost in the noise...AS didn't work for me today, I usually bag a couple that way, very strange..2 or 3 of the stations that didn't/wouldn't reply should have been easy contacts...I don't get it..do they log on, forget and then sit in the garden??

How did you do? I managed 7 in 5 hours.....not good

Mike G6TRM

To: <UKMicrowaves@groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2019 7:50 PM

Mike

I gave up early too. I share your frustration at users of 'KST who do not reply. In a busy contest, such as the major IARU events, there is so much traffic that it's easy to miss a request or reply, but that wasn't the case today. My biggest gripe was the French stations, where I had a 100% failure to raise a sked. Consequently, no contacts in that direction.

The other issue today was having a contest and a microwave round table concurrently. Enough said.

But I really do sympathise with your frustration - you took the time and effort to go /P, all for a handful of contacts.

Regards

John G4ZTR

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io [mailto:UKMicrowaves@groups.io] On Behalf Of mike G6TRM via Groups.Io

Mike G6TRM

Ed G3VPF

Mike

I would regard 7 in 5 hours as a good day! I managed 1 in 3 hours! KST is not good. I called the next nearest station to me a number of times on KST, but no response. My only QSO was on 3cms and was 400 km down into France. No QSO’s at all on 6cms. KST locked up twice in that time and had to be rebooted.

Zello: just one QSO being set up in those three hours. How do we improve the talkback problem - no idea, but a lot more QSO’s could have been made today with a better system and/or better talkback operating.

Ed G3VPF

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io> on behalf of mike G6TRM via Groups.Io <mike.bryant@...>
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2019 9:17:43 PM

Hi John,
The sunny weather today gave a false indicator of good conditions, Lots of
heavy QSB, stations 59 then lost in the noise...AS didn't work for me today,
I usually bag a couple that way, very strange..2 or 3 of the stations that
didn't/wouldn't reply should have been easy contacts...I don't get it..do
they log on, forget and then sit in the garden??

Mike G6TRM

Mike

I gave up early too. I share your frustration at users of 'KST who do not
reply. In a busy contest, such as the major IARU events, there is so much
traffic that it's easy to miss a request or reply, but that wasn't the case
today. My biggest gripe was the French stations, where I had a 100% failure
to raise a sked. Consequently, no contacts in that direction.

The other issue today was having a contest and a microwave round table
concurrently. Enough said.

But I really do sympathise with your frustration - you took the time and
effort to go /P, all for a handful of contacts.

Regards

John G4ZTR

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io [mailto:UKMicrowaves@groups.io] On Behalf Of
mike G6TRM via Groups.Io

I took part in the 2nd 5.7/10GHz contest today (Sunday) but gave up in
frustration due to amount of time wasted, waiting on stations/callsigns who
do not bother to answer any messages sent to them. I know KST is not just
for contesters but over 40% of the inquiries I made ( mostly UK stations)
remained un-answered. many were multiple requests but still no answer.
There must be some who want to watch the site but there is a facility to do
that and not participate.You can also indicate what bands you have
available, so why all these inconsiderate spoilers...
please please, be considerate.... use the (away) if you are not active...its
not that hard..

PS  A big thank you to all the other stations that I spoke to and those I
didn't who made the effort.....

Mike G6TRM

mike G6TRM

Hi Graham,
During the Low Band contests, I work 3 stations as a single op ( should be a specific section for that) so I know it can be difficult.
I must admit not always being able to work everyone straight away, but I do try to reply with an offer to meep them when I'm free and those I can't because of being busy, I apologize as soon as I am able. to me it is being considerate and polite. I put a lot of effort in going out portable and others put a lot of time into their stations as well.
To be honest I do analyze the activity, but it is not the active station that are the problem.
Not that I'm going to, But I do wonder if I posted the callsigns of those who did not reply, I wonder just how many station would have worked them..not many I bet

The last Lowband contest I had a pileup on 23cm with 3 German stations all asking for QSO's on KST and 2 calling me on frequency...I managed that ok and worked them all.
But saying that, I still had lots of no responses for QSO's on KST.
Thanks for the encouragement, I just feel my efforts are defeated by those  *****.

Mike G6TRM

Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2019 9:04 PM

When you are a single operator working two bands (or more) full attention to KST when you are trying for a difficult contact is not easy.
Don't give up, try and analyse when someone is going to be free you will find it does work.
Put a general call out and get others to call you. See if you can cope when three reply at once.

73 Graham G3VKV

Neil Smith G4DBN

I always try to add which bands I am active on to my KST name, and try to remember to set nohere when I am away, but sometimes forget.

Trying to operate multiple bands, listen to Zello, watch KST and monitor beacons for propagation changes, it is all too easy to miss a meep, but the fact is that activity levels at the weekend are always poor compared with the UKACs for some reason.

I *would* use KST2ME but I lost the PC on whcih the key was saved, and tried to renew, but it says I already have a key so hard luck. Bit disappointing, as KST2ME solves the problem of extracting the personal messages during busy contests.

I also find that being from boring old IO93, I am not the top priority for some stations, and they will work more distant stuff, so if I don't hear back within 20 minutes, I send a second meep with sked proposals.

There is no solution to the ones who are logged in but fail to respond for hours at a time though.

Ideally, there should be a way to queue up and prioritise sked requests, but how to get a link between the contesting software with sked-passing facilities and KST isn't obvious, so we are stuck with fallible humans.  Up to a point, if you keep asking every 15 minutes and the other station isn't watching KST, it isn't a problem, and if it is, they can always tell you to bugger off!

Neil G4DBN

Neil Smith G4DBN

Perhaps we need a script to fire off auto-nagging requests.  You fire off a nag, and it sends the sked request automagically evey 10 minutes until the other op responds!

On the other hand, perhaps not!

Neil

On 30/06/2019 21:43, mike G6TRM via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi Graham,
During the Low Band contests, I work 3 stations as a single op ( should be a specific section for that) so I know it can be difficult.
I must admit not always being able to work everyone straight away, but I do try to reply with an offer to meep them when I'm free and those I can't because of being busy, I apologize as soon as I am able. to me it is being considerate and polite. I put a lot of effort in going out portable and others put a lot of time into their stations as well.
To be honest I do analyze the activity, but it is not the active station that are the problem.
Not that I'm going to, But I do wonder if I posted the callsigns of those who did not reply, I wonder just how many station would have worked them..not many I bet

The last Lowband contest I had a pileup on 23cm with 3 German stations all asking for QSO's on KST and 2 calling me on frequency...I managed that ok and worked them all.
Thanks for the encouragement, I just feel my efforts are defeated by those  *****.

Mike G6TRM

73 Graham G3VKV

militaryoperator

I gave up early too. I share your frustration at users of 'KST who do not reply. 

I took part in the 2nd 5.7/10GHz contest today (Sunday) but gave up in frustration due to amount of time wasted, waiting on stations/callsigns who do not bother to answer any messages sent to them.

Not really setup yet for full-blown ops but maybe there's too much reliance on the web? Why not call CQ on 2?

As a non-mobile phone user when I get /p I will not have access to the web, unless there's wifi nearby so will have to rely on calling on 2 or such. I can always post a message from home before I leave saying I'll be here or there but if KST and such is so prevalent, I best take a book with me it seems!

Still, if its just contacts one is after, maybe these bands are the wrong choice?

cheers, Ben G4BXD

mike G6TRM

Hi Ed,
In many respect I am lucky, I live in a RF hole, so there is no possibility in working anyone from home, so I have to go out portable, Where I'm lucky, there is a fantastic site on top of the cliffs in Dover that is only a couple of miles from home. Good for the UK and the continent...
It normally taken me 2 hours to unload my van and reload it with all my gear. 10GHz takes about an hour to set up and my 3 Station Lowband take 3.5 hours to set up working, then of course there is the take down and put it all away. Often I'm shattered when its all done.My point being, going out portable takes a considerable amount of my time and effort. For me KST works well, KST4Me even better as it gets rid of the excessive clutter, but it is let down by these non replying stations.
400Km was very good for today, beats me...it just makes no sense at all that it is spoilt in such a a way. Of course when things are buzzing and the QSO's are good and long distance, we don't mind so much but it is still there...
I guess it is down to educating those who use it to do so correctly..

Mike G6TRM

Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2019 9:32 PM

Mike

I would regard 7 in 5 hours as a good day! I managed 1 in 3 hours! KST is not good. I called the next nearest station to me a number of times on KST, but no response. My only QSO was on 3cms and was 400 km down into France. No QSO’s at all on 6cms. KST locked up twice in that time and had to be rebooted.

Zello: just one QSO being set up in those three hours. How do we improve the talkback problem - no idea, but a lot more QSO’s could have been made today with a better system and/or better talkback operating.

Ed G3VPF

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io> on behalf of mike G6TRM via Groups.Io <mike.bryant@...>
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2019 9:17:43 PM

Hi John,
The sunny weather today gave a false indicator of good conditions, Lots of
heavy QSB, stations 59 then lost in the noise...AS didn't work for me today,
I usually bag a couple that way, very strange..2 or 3 of the stations that
didn't/wouldn't reply should have been easy contacts...I don't get it..do
they log on, forget and then sit in the garden??

Mike G6TRM

Mike

I gave up early too. I share your frustration at users of 'KST who do not
reply. In a busy contest, such as the major IARU events, there is so much
traffic that it's easy to miss a request or reply, but that wasn't the case
today. My biggest gripe was the French stations, where I had a 100% failure
to raise a sked. Consequently, no contacts in that direction.

The other issue today was having a contest and a microwave round table
concurrently. Enough said.

But I really do sympathise with your frustration - you took the time and
effort to go /P, all for a handful of contacts.

Regards

John G4ZTR

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io [mailto:UKMicrowaves@groups.io] On Behalf Of
mike G6TRM via Groups.Io

I took part in the 2nd 5.7/10GHz contest today (Sunday) but gave up in
frustration due to amount of time wasted, waiting on stations/callsigns who
do not bother to answer any messages sent to them. I know KST is not just
for contesters but over 40% of the inquiries I made ( mostly UK stations)
remained un-answered. many were multiple requests but still no answer.
There must be some who want to watch the site but there is a facility to do
that and not participate.You can also indicate what bands you have
available, so why all these inconsiderate spoilers...
please please, be considerate.... use the (away) if you are not active...its
not that hard..

PS  A big thank you to all the other stations that I spoke to and those I
didn't who made the effort.....

Mike G6TRM

mike G6TRM

Hi Neil, I can always rely on you to find a way to fix it...I like your idea of nagging, brilliant...
 73 Mike G6TRM

Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2019 9:47 PM

Perhaps we need a script to fire off auto-nagging requests.  You fire off a nag, and it sends the sked request automagically evey 10 minutes until the other op responds!

Neil

Hi Graham,

Mike G6TRM

73 Graham G3VKV

Neil Smith G4DBN

Perhaps the best use of fixed station SHF installations is for long-term propagation studies with a number of partner stations rather than the fingers-crossed approach of hoping someone is in range AND there is some propagation during contests.  We need to think about ways to lower the entry barrier for 24/47GHz so we can get more stations on from home on there as well as on 10GHz.

I'd vote for putting 23cm and 13cm together in the UKACs and adding in 24 and 47 to SHF, just to spike a bit of activity, like happened with the wideband 5.7GHz stuff. We need a simple entry-level system that doesn't cost $$$$ and can be sold as a kit.  Even if that was just a front-end up/downconverter with add-on PA/LNA options to go in front of a Lime or something.  OK, it would only work in areas where there is a reasonable concentration of operators with reasonable paths (IO93!), but seeing the distances worked on 5.7 wideband on Tuesday evenings, it could be that some of those paths would work on the higher bands with mildly decent narrowband kit.

This could be a transparently obvious attempt to garner UKAC points for the 807 group in the pursuance of Glory on the instruction of the Dear Leader (Hi Robert!), but we need to come up with somehting that will fire up interest, and at the moment, the UKACs appear to be in the driving seat.

Neil G4DBN

On 30/06/2019 19:26, Steve G4HTZ via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi mike 
i share your pain .

steve G4HTZ 

alwyn.seeds1

Dear All,

Since we have VHF NFD coming up, it would be good to correct a further problem.

Stations logging on with their full callsign but operating with a short callsign.

A few contests back, I requested a sked with a station who came back a little cross, saying “already worked”. I replied “not in my log” and he then told me his short callsign.

It is not exactly difficult to set up an additional KST account for a short callsign, or appending the short call instead of a personal name.

Regards,

Alwyn G8DOH

Alwyn Seeds, Director
SynOptika Ltd.,
114 Beaufort Street,
London,
SW3 6BU,
England.

Tel.: +44 (0) 20 7376 4110

SynOptika Ltd., Registered in England and Wales: No. 04606737
Registered Office: 114 Beaufort Street, London, SW3 6BU, United Kingdom.

mike G6TRM

Hi Ben,
The technology of microwaves has improved so much over the years that 2 mtrs can be outgunned by a half decent microwave station, so something else is needed.
Why are you not a mobile user? even just for going out portable...  much easier to carry about than 2mtr gear, aerial, mast etc. the mobile can provide a local wifi signal for  a laptop/KST
I'm not complaining about KST, not at all, just some of the station that sign up to it then don't participate.
Why make efforts to build a good station, spend time finding/going to a good site, then working only locals... makes no sense..it is a contest. after all

Don't think you could ever get me on HF. even at its busiest on the microwave bands there is often time to have a quick chat about how its going, band conditions etc...
A much more relaxed way to communicate.....apart from the ***** on KST ( I'm smiling now!!)

Mike G6TRM

Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2019 10:00 PM

I gave up early too. I share your frustration at users of 'KST who do not reply. 

I took part in the 2nd 5.7/10GHz contest today (Sunday) but gave up in frustration due to amount of time wasted, waiting on stations/callsigns who do not bother to answer any messages sent to them.

Not really setup yet for full-blown ops but maybe there's too much reliance on the web? Why not call CQ on 2?

As a non-mobile phone user when I get /p I will not have access to the web, unless there's wifi nearby so will have to rely on calling on 2 or such. I can always post a message from home before I leave saying I'll be here or there but if KST and such is so prevalent, I best take a book with me it seems!

Still, if its just contacts one is after, maybe these bands are the wrong choice?

cheers, Ben G4BXD

militaryoperator

Dear All,
Stations logging on with their full callsign but operating with a short callsign.
A few contests back, I requested a sked with a station who came back a little cross, saying “already worked”. I replied “not in my log” and he then told me his short callsign.
-----------------------

Why is it they need to have such? how much faster can it be to call G9X than G9XYZ ?  When I heard my first ?0? I thought I was missing some letters. 

That and the hams who 'pretend' to be old timers with G2 and such calls, sometimes not even ex family related. 

Odd only hobby. 

Ben. G4 plus 3

ian hope (2E0IJH)

Seen this myself in couple of Contest, BTW Mike we are up at Faversham for VHF NFD if you fancy dropping in

Ian
2E0IJH

Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2019 at 10:34 PM
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] KST frustration
Dear All,

It is not exactly difficult to set up an additional KST account for a short callsign, or appending the short call instead of a personal name.

Regards,

Alwyn G8DOH

Alwyn Seeds, Director
SynOptika Ltd.,
114 Beaufort Street,
London,
SW3 6BU,
England.

Tel.: +44 (0) 20 7376 4110

SynOptika Ltd., Registered in England and Wales: No. 04606737
Registered Office: 114 Beaufort Street, London, SW3 6BU, United Kingdom.

Keith Le Boutillier

Hi Neil

I feel that I am, between a rock and a hard place, If I don’t use KST on the upper bands I am unlikely to have many if any QSO’s  I have called and called with no luck.

Use KCT usually ends up with many QSO’s but being signal OP its difficult when the KST screen turns red with all the QSO requests trying to keep up.

73 Keith GU6EFB

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io [mailto:UKMicrowaves@groups.io] On Behalf Of Neil Smith G4DBN
Sent: 30 June 2019 21:48

Neil

Hi Graham,

Mike G6TRM

73 Graham G3VKV

Neil Smith G4DBN

The issue for me with 2m is that getting a system out portable which can match the performance of a competitive SHF system is not trivial. Getting 400-800km on 2m to set up an SHF aircraft scatter or rainscatter contact using  5 watt 2m radio isn't really practical, whereas a mobile phone can do KST and Zello, distance or direction are not an issue. For me, it would mean buying another rig at home as well to do 2m at the same time as SHF. Then there is the additional problem of having a directive antenna and mast out portable, or if using omni, needing a lot more power.  Carting a 100 watt plus 2m radio and antenna system that can reach out as far as decent SHF gear can is going to eat up your power budget very quickly. 

For short-range stuff out to a couple of hundred km, 2m is possible, especially if you happen to have a 2m radio that can operate independently of the SHF stuff. 

I really should shell out for the kit to add concurrent 144.390 talkback capability at home, but doing it portable is a big investment in time and energy that I can avoid by using a phone.  Also I get Airscout and WhatsApp and propagation and cluster and DXMaps with my phone.  Yes, I need a different phone for some locations where there is no reliable coverage on the primary one, but I just nick my wife's....

Perhaps a mobile QO100 system might be the answer for SHF skeds.  Now THAT would be fun as well.

Neil

On 30/06/2019 22:00, militaryoperator via Groups.Io wrote:

cheers, Ben G4BXD