Topics

KST frustration

mike G6TRM

I took part in the 2nd 5.7/10GHz contest today (Sunday) but gave up in frustration due to amount of time wasted, waiting on stations/callsigns who do not bother to answer any messages sent to them. I know KST is not just for contesters but over 40% of the inquiries I made ( mostly UK stations) remained un-answered. many were multiple requests but still no answer.
There must be some who want to watch the site but there is a facility to do that and not participate.You can also indicate what bands you have available, so why all these inconsiderate spoilers...
please please, be considerate.... use the (away) if you are not active...its not that hard..

PS A big thank you to all the other stations that I spoke to and those I didn't who made the effort.....

Mike G6TRM

Steve G4HTZ

Hi mike
i share your pain .
i had the same during the 24ghz contest ....only one station answered and tried the path ....others didn't show any response .....why log in if your not going to have the courtesy to reply ...or set your status away .

anyway 24ghz off the mast now ...seems a bit of a waste of time having a home station on that band .

hope you worked a few people ....

steve G4HTZ

John Lemay

Mike

I gave up early too. I share your frustration at users of 'KST who do not reply. In a busy contest, such as the major IARU events, there is so much traffic that it's easy to miss a request or reply, but that wasn't the case today. My biggest gripe was the French stations, where I had a 100% failure to raise a sked. Consequently, no contacts in that direction.

The other issue today was having a contest and a microwave round table concurrently. Enough said.

But I really do sympathise with your frustration - you took the time and effort to go /P, all for a handful of contacts.

Regards

John G4ZTR

I took part in the 2nd 5.7/10GHz contest today (Sunday) but gave up in frustration due to amount of time wasted, waiting on stations/callsigns who do not bother to answer any messages sent to them. I know KST is not just for contesters but over 40% of the inquiries I made ( mostly UK stations) remained un-answered. many were multiple requests but still no answer.
There must be some who want to watch the site but there is a facility to do that and not participate.You can also indicate what bands you have available, so why all these inconsiderate spoilers...
please please, be considerate.... use the (away) if you are not active...its not that hard..

PS A big thank you to all the other stations that I spoke to and those I didn't who made the effort.....

Mike G6TRM

mike G6TRM

Hi Steve, I have a 24GHz system that I need to repair, I cannot get enough enthusiasm to repair it because I'm too isolated, ironically I might have been able to work you but with the greatest respect, buying it, getting it all ready, loading everything up, setting up, then getting one contact per contest, soul destroying. I know we should keep trying and encourage more on the band but I will put my efforts into parts of the hobby that gives a better return...It will happen, 10GHz started with a few on WB, now one of the most popular bands ( just not today!!)

73 Mike G6TRM

From: "alwyn.seeds1" <a.seeds@...>
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Dear All,

Since we have VHF NFD coming up, it would be good to correct a further problem.

Stations logging on with their full callsign but operating with a short callsign.

A few contests back, I requested a sked with a station who came back a little cross, saying “already worked”. I replied “not in my log” and he then told me his short callsign.

It is not exactly difficult to set up an additional KST account for a short callsign, or appending the short call instead of a personal name.

Regards,

Alwyn G8DOH

Alwyn Seeds, Director
SynOptika Ltd.,
114 Beaufort Street,
London,
SW3 6BU,
England.

Tel.: +44 (0) 20 7376 4110

Keith Le Boutillier

Hi Neil

I feel that I am, between a rock and a hard place, If I don’t use KST on the upper bands I am unlikely to have many if any QSO’s  I have called and called with no luck.

Use KCT usually ends up with many QSO’s but being signal OP its difficult when the KST screen turns red with all the QSO requests trying to keep up.

73 Keith GU6EFB

When you are a single operator working two bands (or more) full attention to KST when you are trying for a difficult contact is not easy.
Especially when several stations call and demand immediate attention.
Don't give up, try and analyse when someone is going to be free you will find it does work.
Put a general call out and get others to call you. See if you can cope when three reply at once.
Keep at it,  it is worth it in the end.

73 Graham G3VKV

Neil Smith G4DBN

The issue for me with 2m is that getting a system out portable which can match the performance of a competitive SHF system is not trivial. Getting 400-800km on 2m to set up an SHF aircraft scatter or rainscatter contact using  5 watt 2m radio isn't really practical, whereas a mobile phone can do KST and Zello, distance or direction are not an issue. For me, it would mean buying another rig at home as well to do 2m at the same time as SHF. Then there is the additional problem of having a directive antenna and mast out portable, or if using omni, needing a lot more power.  Carting a 100 watt plus 2m radio and antenna system that can reach out as far as decent SHF gear can is going to eat up your power budget very quickly.

For short-range stuff out to a couple of hundred km, 2m is possible, especially if you happen to have a 2m radio that can operate independently of the SHF stuff.

I really should shell out for the kit to add concurrent 144.390 talkback capability at home, but doing it portable is a big investment in time and energy that I can avoid by using a phone.  Also I get Airscout and WhatsApp and propagation and cluster and DXMaps with my phone.  Yes, I need a different phone for some locations where there is no reliable coverage on the primary one, but I just nick my wife's....

Perhaps a mobile QO100 system might be the answer for SHF skeds.  Now THAT would be fun as well.

Neil