New Subscribers

Andy G4JNT

Folks,  we have had a fair number of new subscribers within the last few days.  Presumably due to the famous satellite

Many of these new subscribers are not supplying a name or callsign, just a meaningless email address and a basic forename.

If you cannot be identified as having a valid Am. radio callsign, or do not set your display name moderation status will remain at moderated, at lest for the firs tfew posts.

New subscribers who qualify will usually be switched to unmoderated status immediately (well, almost ...).

Ideally. set your display name to be  forename and callsign

Andy G4JNT
Group Owner

Richard <richard@...>

The address list on this group has already been harvested, I suspect from postings and not the full subscriber list
I doubt if I'm the only one getting junk emails from members with their e-mail address just slightly altered..
Usually with a pasted url and a different return address
Richard

On Tue, 2019-03-05 at 16:50 +0000, Andy G4JNT wrote:
Folks,  we have had a fair number of new subscribers within the last few days.  Presumably due to the famous satellite

Many of these new subscribers are not supplying a name or callsign, just a meaningless email address and a basic forename.

If you cannot be identified as having a valid Am. radio callsign, or do not set your display name moderation status will remain at moderated, at lest for the firs tfew posts.

New subscribers who qualify will usually be switched to unmoderated status immediately (well, almost ...).

Ideally. set your display name to be  forename and callsign

Andy G4JNT
Group Owner

Jerzy Najda <hf1d@...>

Ok Andy, I apologize for indiscretion and lack of greeting.

I am Jerry HF1D from Szczecin, NW Poland and I have been a member of the UK Microwave Group since 1 January 2019.
Satellite, yes, but I'm more interested in 10 GHz and 47 GHz work

My setup is:

10 GHz - DB6NT G3 Transverter with LNA and PA 8W with 85 cm offset

47 GHz - Transverter 0,1 mW with 45 cm dish

Two week ago bought a 13 cm SG LAB transverter

Greetings for all

Jerry HF1D (Locator: JO73hi)

Member of SP VHF and Microwave Lovers Group SP0KKM

W dniu 2019-03-05 o 17:50, Andy G4JNT pisze:

Folks,  we have had a fair number of new subscribers within the last few days.  Presumably due to the famous satellite

Many of these new subscribers are not supplying a name or callsign, just a meaningless email address and a basic forename.

If you cannot be identified as having a valid Am. radio callsign, or do not set your display name moderation status will remain at moderated, at lest for the firs tfew posts.

New subscribers who qualify will usually be switched to unmoderated status immediately (well, almost ...).

Ideally. set your display name to be  forename and callsign

Andy G4JNT
Group Owner

Richard <richard@...>

Hi Jerry
I bet you have fun with that call sign
with a lot of hams getting confused

73 Richard g8jvm

On Tue, 2019-03-05 at 19:32 +0100, Jerzy Najda wrote:

[...]

Alan Melia

I may be wrong but I have not received any of these mails, so I doubt whether they have come from a hacking of the group. If the address list had been hacked we surely should all get these messages not just the new members.

However remember that the Yahoo group was hacked a few years back and generally these messages are the result of a Yahoo list member using the website and leaving it open when they finish. The messages are sent to everyone on his contact list. I have none of these very obvious spam messages from here or any other of my groups.io lists.

If this is a failing in the registration of new members it should be queried with groups.io support. I find them very responsive .....unlike Yahoo. The header for one of these messages might be interesting to see.

Alan
G3NYK

Richard <richard@...>

The only group I subscribe that has Andy JNTs e-mail address is this
one, and a couple of others as well, only on this list.

Anyone can read the postings and the originators e-mail address is in
each.
First place for any collection bot is open mailings lists.
You may have not noticed any if your ISP has a spam filter

Richard

On Tue, 2019-03-05 at 19:56 +0000, Alan Melia via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Hi Richard no I have no entries in the spam filter...... I checked. I seem to remember Andy was one whose email was hacked at Yahoo. You note he has a btinternet.com address. BT-Yahoo was hacked at Yahoo. My email is BTmail, the in-house server. If it was a message-read harvestingsurely all the recent posters should be getting the spam messages, not just new members.....very odd, because the new members were obviously not on the old Yahoo group.

I dont wantto drag this on but are there any other addresses besides yours on the messages?

Alan
G3NYK

Richard <richard@...>

leave it Alan, its not worth arguing about

On Tue, 2019-03-05 at 20:29 +0000, Alan Melia via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi Richard no I have no entries in the spam filter...... I checked.
seem to remember Andy was one whose email was hacked at Yahoo. You
note
he has a btinternet.com address. BT-Yahoo was hacked at Yahoo. My
email
is BTmail, the in-house server. If it was a message-read
harvestingsurely all the recent posters should be getting the spam
messages, not just new members.....very odd, because the new members
were obviously not on the old Yahoo group.

I dont wantto drag this on but are there any other addresses besides
yours on the messages?

Alan
G3NYK

Brian Flynn GM8BJF

I have had not have had any spam as a result of this group. My ISP is not noted for filtering ;-)

73s Brian Flynn
GM8BJF.

Richard <richard@...>

your probably of little interest to them Brian
its probably its targeted at anyone with what looks like a company e-mail address
Richard