Single Octagon LNB PCB removal

Conrad, PA5Y

I have in my possession a single output Octagon OSLSO and I got the lid off only to find that the Xtal is on the underside of the single PCB. I have seen details of dual Octogons but I am not sure how to get this board out.  I presume that the edges cannot be soldered so maybe it is just the vias that need to be desoldered. I'll start with desolder wick, I hope that this works!

Photo is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pylcangqop93v9r/single_octagon_lid_off.jpg?dl=0

www.dropbox.com
Shared with Dropbox

Any advice would be gratefully received, I really would like to know the Xtal frequency.

73

Conrad PA5Y

DD1US

Hi Conrad

That rather looks like a DRO based LNB.

Regards

Matthias

www.dd1us.de

I have in my possession a single output Octagon OSLSO and I got the lid off only to find that the Xtal is on the underside of the single PCB. I have seen details of dual Octogons but I am not sure how to get this board out.  I presume that the edges cannot be soldered so maybe it is just the vias that need to be desoldered. I'll start with desolder wick, I hope that this works!

Photo is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pylcangqop93v9r/single_octagon_lid_off.jpg?dl=0

Any advice would be gratefully received, I really would like to know the Xtal frequency.

73

Conrad PA5Y

Graham G3VKV

Edited

Hi Conrad,
picture of dual and single inside PLL  Graham G3VKV

on4cjq@...

Hey Conrad,

i'm sure it isn't a PLL version, i think you have this one:

Octagon Optima OSLSO Single Slim LNB 0,1dB

Today i did some tests on rx the EB high beacon:S/N 22dB with Triax 95*85 dish, Octagon out-of box PLL LNB; and some other modified LNB's  with the board from a Octagon PLL connected to them via sma, into a SDR RTL dongle. Polarisation is H. No reception on the EB low beacon due to some exremely high noise level, so need that to find out .

Jerry

I have in my possession a single output Octagon OSLSO and I got the lid off only to find that the Xtal is on the underside of the single PCB. I have seen details of dual Octogons but I am not sure how to get this board out.  I presume that the edges cannot be soldered so maybe it is just the vias that need to be desoldered. I'll start with desolder wick, I hope that this works!

Photo is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pylcangqop93v9r/single_octagon_lid_off.jpg?dl=0

www.dropbox.com
Shared with Dropbox

Any advice would be gratefully received, I really would like to know the Xtal frequency.

73

Conrad PA5Y

Conrad, PA5Y

Damn!

Back to the drawing board. Ebay again, at least it was less than 10 Euros.

73

Conrad PA5Y

I have in my possession a single output Octagon OSLSO and I got the lid off only to find that the Xtal is on the underside of the single PCB. I have seen details of dual Octogons but I am not sure how to get this board out.  I presume that the edges cannot be soldered so maybe it is just the vias that need to be desoldered. I'll start with desolder wick, I hope that this works!

Photo is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pylcangqop93v9r/single_octagon_lid_off.jpg?dl=0

www.dropbox.com
Shared with Dropbox

Any advice would be gratefully received, I really would like to know the Xtal frequency.

73

Conrad PA5Y

Conrad, PA5Y

As I am obviously quite stupid can someone confirm that this is correct?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Octagon-Optima-OTLSO-PLL-Twin-Slim-LNB-0-1-dB-FullHD-HDTV-Digital-2-Teilnehmer/160906911008?

This one clearly states PLL.

73

Conrad PA5Y

www.ebay.co.uk
OCTAGON GERMANY OPTIMA LNB Serie : Marken-LNB`s von OCTAGON ist zum Empfang von analogen sowie digitalen Sendern von jedem Satelliten geeignet. Mit den OCTAGON GERMANY OPTIMA LNB erwerben Sie nicht nur erstklassige Qualität, sondern auch allerneuste Technik (PLL-Technologie). | eBay!

[...]

Yes, this is correct

Regards

Matthias

Back to the drawing board. Ebay again, at least it was less than 10 Euros.

73

Conrad PA5Y

I have in my possession a single output Octagon OSLSO and I got the lid off only to find that the Xtal is on the underside of the single PCB. I have seen details of dual Octogons but I am not sure how to get this board out.  I presume that the edges cannot be soldered so maybe it is just the vias that need to be desoldered. I'll start with desolder wick, I hope that this works!

Photo is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pylcangqop93v9r/single_octagon_lid_off.jpg?dl=0

Any advice would be gratefully received, I really would like to know the Xtal frequency.

73

Conrad PA5Y

on4cjq@...

You can search for Inverto or Goobay LNB's too, they have also PLL.
It looks like Octagon's have unknown delivery date...

Jerry

[...]

The EAN number looks ok, so it is PLL

[...]

Thanks Matthias, so next week I should have made progress, I have ordered one😊

[...]

Unbelievably the dual Octagon from here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Octagon-Optima-OTLSO-PLL-Twin-Slim-LNB-0-1-dB-FullHD-HDTV-Digital-2-Teilnehmer/160906911008?

Turned up this morning, that is pretty remarkable for eBay. It is a PLL variant and it has a 27MHz Xtal and the PLL is a RDA3565ES. I have it running in the shack with a pretty nasty locked USB synth running at 3483.3333. The third harmonic is loud and after an hour the whole thing is pretty stable. I will experiment with an external Xtal signal to see if I can get a 432MHz IF but it is looking promising so far. As it is not 25MHz I cannot use my 100MHz OCXO and a divide by 4. Maybe I will risk a DF9NP 27MHz LO and see what that’s like.

[...]

Richard <richard@...>

from info I've found you should be able to move the Ref freq HF to get 70cms IF, but not LF
Richard