Es'Hail 2

Graham G8HAJ

Hello all,  There's a test signal on the NB transponder at the moment  (11:30am).....Graham G8HAJ

Graham G8HAJ

Peaking 30dB over noise in 12Hz RBW from a 65cm dish  ....Graham G8HAJ

Graham Shirville

Thanks Graham but I am in London at work:(

73
Graham

G3VZV

On 16/01/2019 11:41, Graham G8HAJ wrote:
Hello all,  There's a test signal on the NB transponder at the moment  (11:30am).....Graham G8HAJ

SAM JEWELL

Excellent signal from the beacon in the amateur nb transponder.
The transponder noise floor is 15dB above the out of band noise in 244Hz resolution bandwidth (the default on my RSPPro2 SDR).
That is quite substanial and indicates that we should not worry too much about the ultimate noise figure of the Octagon LNB as the transponder noise floor is likely to set the ultimate SNR we will have on signals.
My measurements show the beacon (or maybe it’s a test signal that is pulsing, so may not have caught the actual peak) at about 30dB above 15Hz resolution bandwidth. It certainly sounds loud, sending its CW identifier.

Well done to all involved in the Es’Hail-2 satellite and in particular the Amsat-DL team.
I didn’t look in the wb transponder passband. Hopefully, all is well with that transponder.
Looks like time to sort out the uplink set up.

Sam, G4DDK

On Wednesday, January 16, 2019, 11:51 am, Graham Shirville <graham@...> wrote:

Thanks Graham but I am in London at work:(

73
Graham

G3VZV

On 16/01/2019 11:41, Graham G8HAJ wrote:
Hello all,  There's a test signal on the NB transponder at the moment  (11:30am).....Graham G8HAJ

Ole OZ2OE

Surprise of the day! Beacon "CQ CQ DE ES2HAIL" - on appx. 10489,650 MHz (non stabilized Octagon OSLO). Measured at 42 dB S/N relative noise in 2,7 Hz BW. Using 80 cm offset dish. Beacon stopped 13:48 UTC. 73 Ole OZ2OE

Den 16. januar 2019 kl. 13.28.44 +01.00, skrev SAM JEWELL via Groups.Io <jewell@...>:

[...]

Graham G3VKV

Hi Mike,
Using a 1.6m prime focus with an inverto PLL LNB, 120ft away
down the garden to clear the house, dish has been there 30yrs
I knew there would be a need for it one day  !!  Proper locked rx soon.
(on the workbench now)
73 Graham  G3VKV

Jules G0NZO

The SNR of the CW beacon, was in the order of 30dB for most of us. So Paul M0EYT tried it with a bare LNB. And it was still readable!

There was also another carrier, outside of the LF end of the passband, whilst the CW beacon test was occuring. Later on it had a few seconds of modulation on. Looked like FM, in the FFT. So not sure if this was an official test?