A couple of gripes about 1296MHz

GM6VXB

After spending a minimal amount I have managed to get back on 1296MHz with what I
consider an average system. Still some optimization to do, but I am asking myself
should I bother with the activity levels on the band.
This morning logged on to KST and see the usual stations there. 18 logged on at 07:45.
Now log on during a contest or activity period and there will be approximately 60 on. These
numbers are for all EU stations, for 'G' presently five logged on (two showing 'away'), during
contests I would expect to see around thirty 'G's' logged on.
WHERE ARE THEY outside activity periods. Or have they beaten me to it by deciding
there is no 23cm activity outside of contests. This is from observation over the last two
months. Yes, there has been almost no tropo recently but what happens to air scatter
outside contests ?. I presume it does not exist.

Many years ago there were some local(?) nets on 23cm. The nearest station to me was
in Edinburgh 270Km distant. Now no activity unless they have become 'private' nets.

I have two beacons that (from earlier experience) should be detectable here.
BOTH are showing as 'operational' on Beaconspot.eu. One is
definately not QRV (unless other info has not been updated) and the other may or may not
be fully operational according to information on Beaconspot. I know requests have been made
both on here and at the last microwave meeting at Martelsham to update information, so do I
beleive the information on there or ignore a good resource as probably not up to date. I will
not name the beacons on here but suffice to say both are located in Scotland on the East
side.

So today it is too windy to put the antennas up, but I will hear and work the same number of
stations that I hear when the antennas are up, NON and will probably stay that way until the
next contest. Which begs the question, is it worth staying on what I considered an interesting
band many years ago.

Martin, GM6VXB

Neil Smith G4DBN

Having a fixed time slot to get on the band might be a way to drum up some activity, Martin. Myself, I am working away a lot, and when I am home, I have a lot of other projects on the go. As a result, pumping up the mast and searching for a QSO on 23 is not top of my list of priorities. The Thursday evening MGM sessions used to be OK, but are now pretty much hopeless for me as I am rarely at home that night.

I would certainly be up for some regular skeds to do long-term propagation experiments on Monday/Friday/Saturday/Sundays, looking for off-axis scatter perhaps, or at least evaluating the most scattery planes and finding the optimal tx/rx over length and timing for contest exchanges. Keeping the sessions to 30 minutes max and doing a standard set of tests each time would eventually gather a useful body of data, without eating up too much time and energy.

During the day when I'm working from home, I can only do brief operational sessions in coffee breaks and over lunch, and pumping the mast up takes 7 minutes, then 3 minutes to drop it, so I only get 5 minutes operation during the break, hardly worth it. If I had the luxury of a permanently-available antenna, things would be a lot easier.

So, something like "2130z for 30 minutes every Monday and Friday night, using 10 second overs with some MGM aircraftscatter mode on 1296.xxx" might be the basis for a long-term sked which might attract others. Or SSB with 5 second overs during particular plane transits. Or skeds using passive scatter from the ISS, or 10 minute tropo tests or whatever. Someone needs to be the fulcrum of activity and hang in there for months and bug people to get on and operate, like Lyn GW8JLY did last year on 2m SSB. Plenty of DX spots and chatter on KST would also get people interested.

Neil G4DBN

On 02/10/2017 09:25, 'Martin Andrew' martin.andrew@... [ukmicrowaves] wrote:

[...]

Brian Flynn GM8BJF

Hi Martin,

GB3EDN is still on the air. I have just been listening to it. I am now retired and it is at my former work QTH but I still have access to the site. I will be there tomorrow and will check all is well. It is currently running about 5W and only keys FSK CW.

73s

Brian GM8BJF (GB3EDN beaconkeeper)

GM6VXB

Brian,

Yes, I can see a trace on spectran and sometimes hear the CW via airscatter.
But (only a small but) on Beaconspot.EU it is showing as CW and JT4G.
No problem for me as I would have expected to get JT4 decodes before
hearing CW.

While on the beacon subject, GB3ANG 23CM beacon is showing as operational
on Beaconspot.EU but as 'off air' on QRZ.COM. Tried listening for backscatter on ANG
and began to suspect my gear before spotting the information on QRZ.com.
Last information was:

How many other G/GM/GW/GI beacons are or are not QRV ?.
No point having a useful resourse like Beaconspot.EU if information on it is
not correct and up to date.

Maybe being a bit pedantic as it is only a hobby.

Martin, GM6VXB

GB3EDN is still on the air. I have just been listening to it. I am now
retired and it is at my former work QTH but I still have access to the
site. I will be there tomorrow and will check all is well. It is
currently running about 5W and only keys FSK CW.

73s

Brian GM8BJF (GB3EDN beaconkeeper)

Conrad, PA5Y

Hello Martin I have quite literally juts got going on 23cms a few weeks ago. I have been calling CQ with a good 100W in the likely directions to no avail. I would not expect you to hear me of course but certainly up to IO94 or so. There is no one on. I have worked DL7QY a couple of times. Of course this coming weekend will be a very different matter for me I expect, the big contest and in central Europe I should get a good idea of my flat band and AP scatter capability.

I must say that I like the band so far.

I could not agree more regarding the beacons, this beacon status issue is frustrating.

Regards

Conrad PA5Y

On 2017-10-03 14:02, 'Martin Andrew' martin.andrew@btinternet.com [ukmicrowaves] wrote:
Brian,
Yes, I can see a trace on spectran and sometimes hear the CW via
airscatter.
But (only a small but) on Beaconspot.EU it is showing as CW and JT4G.
No problem for me as I would have expected to get JT4 decodes before
hearing CW.
While on the beacon subject, GB3ANG 23CM beacon is showing as
operational
on Beaconspot.EU but as 'off air' on QRZ.COM. Tried listening for
backscatter on ANG
and began to suspect my gear before spotting the information on
QRZ.com.
Last information was:
2016-12-29
17:34
GB3ANG
1296.9530
599
TR
599 in io94 back on!
How many other G/GM/GW/GI beacons are or are not QRV ?.
No point having a useful resourse like Beaconspot.EU if information on
it is
not correct and up to date.
Maybe being a bit pedantic as it is only a hobby.
Martin, GM6VXB
SENT: Tuesday, October 03, 2017 10:55 AM
SUBJECT: [ukmicrowaves] Re: A couple of gripes about 1296MHz
Hi Martin,
GB3EDN is still on the air. I have just been listening to it. I am now
retired and it is at my former work QTH but I still have access to the
site. I will be there tomorrow and will check all is well. It is
currently running about 5W and only keys FSK CW.
73s
Brian GM8BJF (GB3EDN beaconkeeper)
Links:
------
[1]
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ukmicrowaves/info;_ylc=X3oDMTJlOHZtOWY4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzgwOTAxMjEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA4BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTUwNzAzNjE4Ng--
[2]
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ukmicrowaves/members/all;_ylc=X3oDMTJmbDRxMDVmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzgwOTAxMjEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA4BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzE1MDcwMzYxODY-
[3]
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo;_ylc=X3oDMTJkNDg3dmdmBF9TAzk3NDc2NTkwBGdycElkAzgwOTAxMjEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA4BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2dmcARzdGltZQMxNTA3MDM2MTg2
[4] https://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/groups/details.html
[5] https://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/

Pete - GM4BYF

Martin would be very pleased to do some tests with you - but currently masthead preamp is playing up. I am not well sited for the north but do manage to contact GM8IEM on a regular basis via A/S. I would be pleased to do some extended tests both on a direct path and by reflectionn off the Pentland hills. I will be back in touch once am operational again (100W to 57 elements). I can transmit currently so one way contacts are possible and rx limited by lack of masthead is also possible.

73
Pete GM4BYF
On 02/10/17 09:25, 'Martin Andrew' martin.andrew@... [ukmicrowaves] wrote:

[...]

I have sent a message to the admin on Beaconspot.eu to ask if the data can be change. For some reason I am not allowed to change that info. I have also checked to output meter and it is normal. I am not sure of the future of EDN as I will cease to have access to the site in 18 months time. At the moment I am tempted to dismantle it at that point. It has had a good run for its money! The PA module is an old RCA 432 10 W brick feeding a MM tripler. I suspect the both the Brick and MM Tripler have more running hours on them than any others ever made. It has been on since 1978!

I may reinstate the JT4G but I was finding the RDDS problematic for long term operation. I suspect the VCXO needed to have a wider pull-in range.

73s
Brian
--
Dr Brian W Flynn 15 Riselaw Crescent Edinburgh EH10 6HN 0131 447 4043
07969 668 147

Martin A Hall <gorrell77@...>

Hi Brian,

Your work with EDN much appreciated, since it’s the only beacon I can hear regularly from this location on 23cm – and then only via Aircraft Scatter.  I’ll miss it when it goes, since it’s a good check that my gear is actually working.

If you are able to re-instate JT4G I shall be very grateful, since reception is often possible when other modes fail – I’ve captured EDN on tropo on occasion using JT4G when the tones have been inaudible.  There’s also the option of unattended monitoring of conditions when I’m about the house working on other tasks but not able to be in the shack full-time.  However, I do understand the problem with it losing lock from time to time.

Once again, thanks for all the effort you’ve put into this project.

73, Martin

GM8IEM – IO78HF

[...]

Tom GM8MJV

Martin, Just joined this group and in middle of re-building 23 cms PA - Had the same issues with you couple of months back with Scottish beacons - thankfully EDN now back on - but Angus ready did confuse me till discovered status.

Happy to run tests and point your way in contests etc. - should have the PA fixed in next week or so

Tom
GM8MJV (Edinburgh)

John Fell

Perhaps you could join forces and build a beacon /help find a new site for existing ?
The UK Microwave Group have funds that can be applied for to help cover equipment costs .
Sites are the key - try an approach to an existing repeater group or even appeal to a Mc Mobile outfit - I watched the growth of hilltop sites over the 15 years of GM holidays , starting from the late 80's - there's a lot of it about .
Regarding Beacon status , BeaconSpot is maintained on behalf of the UK Microwave Group by Robin G8APZ and is as up to date as the individual Keepers and Users supplied data .
User reports are kept on individual Beacons , so if in doubt about frequency or operational status , looking at the recent spots will give you a good clue to its status .
This resource alone is worth the £6 annual membership of the Group.

If you are attending the Scottish Microwave event on November 4th , I am sure there will be members willing and able to offer advice on Beacon building issues .

73
John
G0API

PS If lack of activity on 1296MHZ is an issue , try EME ....

David GM6BIG

Hi Tom,

Dont know exactly where you are, but a good chance you will get GB3CSB on 1296.875, been on air for around 10 years.
Also GM6BIG/b on 1298.002, although QRP it is omni, been on for around 30 years...
A look at beaconspot will show the locations.

I know EDN has been having a rocky time of it...

Hopefully catch up at the GMRT this year.

Cheers, David

On 08-Oct-17 21:32, tom@tkrh.co.uk [ukmicrowaves] wrote:
Martin, Just joined this group and in middle of re-building 23 cms PA - Had the same issues with you couple of months back with Scottish beacons - thankfully EDN now back on - but Angus ready did confuse me till discovered status.
Happy to run tests and point your way in contests etc. - should have the PA fixed in next week or so
Tom
GM8MJV (Edinburgh)

GM6VXB

John,

Many years ago there was a good site at Mormond hill (IO87 where I worked) that would have been ideal for beacons, there is still a repeater up there (GB3NG) but it is now difficult to access due to change of ownership.
I did ask the local repeater group if there would be room for beacons in the cabinet they have there, but it fell on deaf ears, possibly as riggers would have been needed to setup antennas, and these had to be payed for at cost. I did not pursue any further as other things happening work wise. There is a mast and building that had Moray Firth radio antenna and equipment (now defunct), have tried to contact the owners but never received a reply. Another case of 'give up, lifes too short'.
The only other good sites with a clear view south ( both IO97 and IO87) are occupied by MOD or CAA so it would be difficult to convince them that no interference would occur from a beacon on their sites. Again access could/would be a problem out of hours.
I did have a personal beacon running on 10GHz from home, but no reports received (except mine) so it was taken down and dismantled for useful parts. Do not know why it was not heard as I could detect it from hills near Berwick on Tweed on a lay-by off the A1, a known good spot.

Trying to monitor beacons that were either not on air of not transmitting in the format shown on Beaconspot did cause me a lot of confusuion. Being on the wrong side of beacons (most beam south) means I had to spend a lot of time listening to see if I could hear anything. Then to find the beacon had been QRT for some time was more than a bit annoying. Have a look at stats for GB3ANG. Is it operational ?, yes according to beaconspot. Now look at info on QRZ.COM.
I will be going to the Scottish Microwave event. If time will discuss. Except for keyers I am pretty sure I have most parts to make up a rack mounted beacon for anything from 50MHz to 10GHz.

Martin, GM6VXB

[...]

Thanks David,

Not checked those - will do shortly :-)

Round Table - yes about to fill in registration

Tom

On 08-Oct-17 21:32, tom@... [ukmicrowaves] wrote:
> Martin, Just joined this group and in middle of re-building 23 cms PA -
> Had the same issues with you couple of months back with Scottish beacons
> - thankfully EDN now back on - but Angus ready did confuse me till
> discovered status.
>

> Happy to run tests and point your way in contests etc. - should have the
> PA fixed in next week or so
>
> Tom
> GM8MJV (Edinburgh)

---

I can hear CSB on 23cm most of the time down here in the East Yorkshire flatlands. CSB on 13cm needs a bit of help from aircraft scatter unless there is a bit of tropo enhancement.  Never heard EDN on 23cm, which is odd because the troposcatter path loss ought to be 10dB better than CSB, but I guess the ERP is lower. Maybe I should listen harder....

Neil G4DBN

GM6VXB

Just for info, I dug into my bits box and found an old driver board that moded down to 23cm easily.
Now driving it with PI4 and CW with my call/B and locator.
Will leave it running to 180 degree for a hour or so on 1296.004MHz.
If my interest is peaked then will see what I can throw together to make up an amplifier rather than
run my present 'Homebrew' 2X2C39 amp.

Martin, GM6VXB

[...]

Derek Brown G8ECI

Hi Martin,

I will take a listen for your beacon when I get home this afternoon, the path profile between us, does not look to bad, there's an awful of the North Sea and a bit of North Yorkshire around the Scarborough area, my take off due north is pretty clear, so you never know, if I do hear anything that I think will be the first time I have heard a GM signal from the main part of Scotland on 23cm ( I did work someone last year in Shetland). Currently my 2x2C39A PA is also under rebuild, and I have my antenna system to upgrade, a new 44 Ele Wimo and a taller mast with a proper rotator. Currently just upgrading the 6, 4 & 2 M antenna system, but once I complete that I will get the 70m, 23cm and even 13 cm gear on the stocks.
If any copied will send an email.

73 G8ECI Jo03ai

[...]

Stopped the beacon while I tidy it up a bit.
Was heard at 340Km while running about 80 Watt to a 55 ele Tonna.
Only half power as do not want to overheat the grids on the amp.
Will do another run starting at 18:30 local time and monitor KST.
Same beam heading unless requested otherwise.

Martin, GM6VXB

[...]

Regarding GB3EDN the beacon is sited on the Kings Buildings campus of University of Edinburgh on the south side of the city. The antenna is sited on top of a four storey tower block so is at a good height AGL. (It can be seen on google earth if you know where to look!). The ground rises quite steeply to the south so coverage in that direction is poor It is clear north and east having a good view down the Forth estuary to Scandinavia. The original intention back in 1976 was to give warning of tropo openings in that direction. I have now retired from the University but will have access to the site for the next 18 months at least. When I finally go I will in all conscience have to remove it I am afraid.

Perhaps the matter can be discussed at the GMRT on the 4th of November at the MoC.

73s, Brian GM8BJF (GB3EDN beacon keeper)
--

GM6VXB

Just a thought.
How about seeing if the beacon could be co-sited with
the GM8FFX 10GHz beacon at Porthlethen. Not sure
if there is enough room but as you say, worth discussing
at the GMRT.

Martin, GM6VXB

Gordonjcp <gordon@...>

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 10:19:51AM +0100, 'brian.flynn@tiscali.co.uk' brian.flynn@tiscali.co.uk [ukmicrowaves] wrote:
Regarding GB3EDN the beacon is sited on the Kings Buildings campus of
University of Edinburgh on the south side of the city. The antenna is
sited on top of a four storey tower block so is at a good height AGL.
(It can be seen on google earth if you know where to look!). The ground
rises quite steeply to the south so coverage in that direction is poor
It is clear north and east having a good view down the Forth estuary to
Scandinavia. The original intention back in 1976 was to give warning of
tropo openings in that direction. I have now retired from the University
but will have access to the site for the next 18 months at least. When I
finally go I will in all conscience have to remove it I am afraid.
In a previous job I looked after 460MHz (bloody longwave bollocks) comms
gear on the roof of the library at the Kings buildings site. My first
choice was alongside EDN but apparently mobile phone kit was going up
there and we weren't allowed to use that roof.

Is there no-one else there interested in keeping it on?

--
Gordonjcp MM0YEQ