Dressing 0.25" Semi Rigid cable

Conrad, PA5Y

Hello I have some N types to put on some PTFE based semi-rigid cable. It has similar construction to RG402 and also has an FEP jacket. The connectors are the correct ones from rf-microwave.com

The tinned braid outer is extremely tough and I need to make sure that I can cut it very clean and square without any distortion. I suspect that a very fine toothed saw of some type will be best.

Any advice?

Regards

Conrad PA5Y

Neil Smith G4DBN

I use a Dremel with a thin cutting disk and a jig with a coax-sized hole and clamp so I can rotate the cutting disk around the coax (or actually vice-versa) and just cut through the braid or tube, but leave the inner undamaged.  At a push it works freehand, but the jig helps prevent disasters.

Neil G4DBN

On 27/07/2016 22:39, Conrad PA5Y g0ruz@... [ukmicrowaves] wrote:

Hello I have some N types to put on some PTFE based semi-rigid cable. It
has similar construction to RG402 and also has an FEP jacket. The
connectors are the correct ones from rf-microwave.com

The tinned braid outer is extremely tough and I need to make sure that I
can cut it very clean and square without any distortion. I suspect that
a very fine toothed saw of some type will be best.

Any advice?

Regards

Conrad PA5Y

John Quarmby

Hi Conrad

I used a sharp knife to scribe round the cable several times, then bent the jacket to crack it apart. That seemed to work well enough for the half dozen or so terminations of 0.25" semi-flex cable I made up a few months ago.

73

John G3XDY

On 27/07/2016 21:39, Conrad PA5Y g0ruz@... [ukmicrowaves] wrote:
Hello I have some N types to put on some PTFE based semi-rigid cable. It
has similar construction to RG402 and also has an FEP jacket. The
connectors are the correct ones from rf-microwave.com

The tinned braid outer is extremely tough and I need to make sure that I
can cut it very clean and square without any distortion. I suspect that
a very fine toothed saw of some type will be best.

Any advice?

Regards

Conrad PA5Y

------------------------------------
Posted by: Conrad PA5Y <g0ruz@...>
------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

GORDONJ REASON <gordonj.reason@...>

Scribe the jacket ... wiggle it to crack it ...... heat it a little , and it will slide off easier ....

the a fine file with a flat , untoothed edge , to remove any burrs ,,,,,,,,,,,

A little rub with wire wool , to remove debri and tarnish , from the solid sheath , coat wth flux to prevent oxidation ....

good to go then ....

On 27 July 2016 at 22:49 "G3XDY g3xdy@... [ukmicrowaves]" <ukmicrowaves@...> wrote:

Hi Conrad

I used a sharp knife to scribe round the cable several times, then bent
the jacket to crack it apart. That seemed to work well enough for the
half dozen or so terminations of 0.25" semi-flex cable I made up a few
months ago.

73

John G3XDY

On 27/07/2016 21:39, Conrad PA5Y g0ruz@... [ukmicrowaves] wrote:
> Hello I have some N types to put on some PTFE based semi-rigid cable. It
> has similar construction to RG402 and also has an FEP jacket. The
> connectors are the correct ones from rf-microwave.com
>
> The tinned braid outer is extremely tough and I need to make sure that I
> can cut it very clean and square without any distortion. I suspect that
> a very fine toothed saw of some type will be best.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Regards
>
> Conrad PA5Y
>

> ------------------------------------
> Posted by: Conrad PA5Y <g0ruz@...>
> ------------------------------------
>

> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links

---

Paul G8KFW

Hi I use the same method as  John G3XDY

Regards  Paul

I used a sharp knife to scribe round the cable several times, then bent
the jacket to crack it apart. That seemed to work well enough for the
half dozen or so terminations of 0.25" semi-flex cable I made up a few
months ago.

73

John G3XDY

On 27/07/2016 21:39, Conrad PA5Y g0ruz@... [ukmicrowaves] wrote:
> Hello I have some N types to put on some PTFE based semi-rigid cable. It
> has similar construction to RG402 and also has an FEP jacket. The
> connectors are the correct ones from rf-microwave.com
>
> The tinned braid outer is extremely tough and I need to make sure that I
> can cut it very clean and square without any distortion. I suspect that
> a very fine toothed saw of some type will be best.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Regards
>
> Conrad PA5Y
>

> ------------------------------------
> Posted by: Conrad PA5Y
> ------------------------------------
>

> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links

---

No virus found in this message.

Nick Atrill <nick.atrill@...>

Hi Neil

I like your idea of the jig any chance of posting a picture

Thanks

Nick G6GFO

[...]

Thanks for the tips, now I will buy a very sharp knife, any recommendations?

Conrad

On 28/07/2016 00:10, 'Nick Atrill' nick.atrill@... [ukmicrowaves] wrote:

[...]

Just the usual sort of Stanley or craft knife.

73

John G3XDY

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

[...]

pa0jme@...

Hi Conrad, I normally use a universal crimpingtool (krimptang) which you can buy in diy markets to crimp lugs to your cables. In the lower part there are a few stripping holes for different wire diameters. These proved very suited for my semirigid work too.
73es Rien PA0JME

Michael Scott

Hi Conrad

A tip which Paul Wade published in MUD a year or so back was to use a small pipe cutter. I have had mixed success with it as it tends to round the edge of the copper which makes removing the waste bit more difficult. With care you can make a dent round the copper and use this as a guide for a knife or fine saw.

73, Mike, G3LYP

Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 10:39 PM
Subject: [ukmicrowaves] Dressing 0.25" Semi Rigid cable

Hello I have some N types to put on some PTFE based semi-rigid cable. It
has similar construction to RG402 and also has an FEP jacket. The
connectors are the correct ones from rf-microwave.com

The tinned braid outer is extremely tough and I need to make sure that I
can cut it very clean and square without any distortion. I suspect that
a very fine toothed saw of some type will be best.

Any advice?

Regards

Conrad PA5Y

g4bao

All you need to do is score it with a sharp scalpel, side cutters, or a small pipe cutter  around the whole circumference then bend it slightly and the outer will break cleanly. Just like cutting a copper pipe
73
John

On 27 Jul 2016 22:39, "Conrad PA5Y g0ruz@... [ukmicrowaves]" <ukmicrowaves@...> wrote:

Hello I have some N types to put on some PTFE based semi-rigid cable. It
has similar construction to RG402 and also has an FEP jacket. The
connectors are the correct ones from rf-microwave.com

The tinned braid outer is extremely tough and I need to make sure that I
can cut it very clean and square without any distortion. I suspect that
a very fine toothed saw of some type will be best.

Any advice?

Regards

Conrad PA5Y

Conrad, PA5Y

Hello Michael a standard B&Q (Gamma for our Dutch readers) pipe cutter has too much lateral play to actually cut with. I used to use them with Heliax. However for scoring a nice clean mark they are good enough. Thanks for the reminder.

Problem is that the 0.25" semi rigid that I am working with has a tinned braid outer not a solid copper jacket and as such is quite easy to deform.

Pipe cutters work great with solid copper outer semi - rigid because sufficient force can be applied to stop any lateral movement of the blade during rotation.

Maybe there is a high quality version of the cheap pipe cutters available.

I don't want to get it wrong too often as it's expensive.

Regards

Conrad PA5Y

Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 10:39 PM

Hello I have some N types to put on some PTFE based semi-rigid cable. It
has similar construction to RG402 and also has an FEP jacket. The
connectors are the correct ones from rf-microwave.com

The tinned braid outer is extremely tough and I need to make sure that I
can cut it very clean and square without any distortion. I suspect that
a very fine toothed saw of some type will be best.

Any advice?

Regards

Conrad PA5Y

mw1fgq

Hi
To strip semi rigid cable I use a pair of Ideal T-strippers such as:-

I grip the semi rigid at the top or smaller diameter end of the tool and rotate so the "teeth" cut into the outer, it doesn't wander and only takes one or two turns to cut into the screen sufficiently to allow me to flex and snap it cleanly. Cheap versions can be found in ordinary DIY shops but it doesn't seem to harm the tool anyway.
John
MW1FGQ

Michael Scott

Hi Conrad

You can get small pipe cutters used by model engineers which are quite rigid and work better than those intended for plumbing work.

Mike

Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 10:39 PM

Hello I have some N types to put on some PTFE based semi-rigid cable. It
has similar construction to RG402 and also has an FEP jacket. The
connectors are the correct ones from rf-microwave.com

The tinned braid outer is extremely tough and I need to make sure that I
can cut it very clean and square without any distortion. I suspect that
a very fine toothed saw of some type will be best.

Any advice?

Regards

Conrad PA5Y

Conrad, PA5Y

Very good Mike, I don't think that there are any model shops left here in Eindhoven, can you point me to a good online model shop that will have them?

Regards

Conrad PA5Y

Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 10:39 PM

Hello I have some N types to put on some PTFE based semi-rigid cable. It
has similar construction to RG402 and also has an FEP jacket. The
connectors are the correct ones from rf-microwave.com

The tinned braid outer is extremely tough and I need to make sure that I
can cut it very clean and square without any distortion. I suspect that
a very fine toothed saw of some type will be best.

Any advice?

Regards

Conrad PA5Y

Conrad, PA5Y

I have tried this with RG402 and the inner gets distorted. Also I don't think that it will work with the 6.35" stuff that I have, it is very tenacious and yet soft enough to deform quite easily. Of the suggestions so for a good sharp mini pipe cutter and sharp knife seems best. I will do it next week and report back.

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

73

Conrad PA5Y

http://cpc.farnell.com/ideal/45-125-341/metric-wire-stripper-0-5mm-to/dp/TL00596

I grip the semi rigid at the top or smaller diameter end of the tool and rotate so the "teeth" cut into the outer, it doesn't wander and only takes one or two turns to cut into the screen sufficiently to allow me to flex and snap it cleanly. Cheap versions can be found in ordinary DIY shops but it doesn't seem to harm the tool anyway.
John
MW1FGQ

ian hope (2E0IJH)

These might be able to help you, http://www.maidstone-engineering.com/, Use them often for my other Hobby garden Railways

Ian
2E0IJH

Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 10:39 PM

Hello I have some N types to put on some PTFE based semi-rigid cable. It
has similar construction to RG402 and also has an FEP jacket. The
connectors are the correct ones from rf-microwave.com

The tinned braid outer is extremely tough and I need to make sure that I
can cut it very clean and square without any distortion. I suspect that
a very fine toothed saw of some type will be best.

Any advice?

Regards

Conrad PA5Y

Michael Scott

Hi Conrad

Sorry for the delay in replying, if I remember correctly, I just Googled ‘Pipe cutter’ and bought one from Amazon! We don’t have many model shops either but we have several model engineering shows each year and I get most of my tools and supplies there.

73, Mike