OZ5N Auto PLL

geoffrey pike

Back to DC matters at 10.368 GHz, i finally fitted my OZ5N auto pll and this is what happened.
Well it really didn't want to lock up at all, i changed the 82 p at the crystal to 56p. I gave everything some time to warm up and although
the blue LED flashed at 1 sec intervals it just wasn't for locking up.I adjusted the coil for a resting frequency about 200 Hz high and tried again and it locked up OK. I measured the control voltage at 1.04v and readjusted for 1.7v as i thought that this would be better and sure enough when i tried it all again the lock up was within 2 seconds.
So from a cold DB6NT it takes about 2 secs to lock but when the 10 MHz ref is removed and the xtal is up to temp it takes about 10 secs to lock.
I then put it all back together again and got my signal source fro 10.368200 GHz going and tuned in spot on 144.200 on the 290 and it just sits there rock steady T9. So that only leaves azimuth control of the dish as an unknown !.
regards
Geoff
GI0GDP
I measured the crystal frequency on the collector of the first tripler via a 22p cap

Kevin Kerr <kkerr@...>

Is there any chance of pictures of how you installed it. I have a working G2 and am extremely nervous about attacking it with a solderong iron.

The picture on the website is a different transverter.

Kevin Kerr

M1BWS

On 18/07/2016 10:59, geoffrey pike gi0gdp@... [ukmicrowaves] wrote:

Back to DC matters at 10.368 GHz, i finally fitted my OZ5N auto pll and this is what happened.
Well it really didn't want to lock up at all, i changed the 82 p at the crystal to 56p. I gave everything some time to warm up and although
the blue LED flashed at 1 sec intervals it just wasn't for locking up.I adjusted the coil for a resting frequency about 200 Hz high and tried again and it locked up OK. I measured the control voltage at 1.04v and readjusted for 1.7v as i thought that this would be better and sure enough when i tried it all again the lock up was within 2 seconds.
with a soldering ir
I then put it all back together again and got my signal source fro 10.368200 GHz going and tuned in spot on 144.200 on the 290 and it just sits there rock steady T9. So that only leaves azimuth control of the dish as an unknown !.
regards
Geoff
GI0GDP
I measured the crystal frequency on the collector of the first tripler via a 22p cap

geoffrey pike

Hi Kevin,
The pics are too big for attaching so please go to the files section under OZ5N folder
Hope they are of some use
Geoff
GI0GDP

mike G6TRM

Hi Kevin,
Hopefully If I add to the list of those who have modified their DB6TN 10ghz Transverter, it will inspire you a little more to go ahead and try.....
My modifications were very similar to Geoff's...I too have photos. if you think that will help please ask..

One small issue for me was using the option of an external LED, on inspecting the circuit, a current a limiting resistor of 10k was on the board ( not enough to drive a conventional LED). As I had loads of "normal" leds ( not low volt versions) .. I decided to change the 10k resistor (R9) for a more suitable value.. I checked the PIC pin had enough drive, no problem,  I choose a value of    2k2 for 9/10ma of current.
3.3v -1.2v(LED volt drop) = 2.1v/10mA = 2100R,  2k2 selected.  It all works well, nice and bright... before I did the mod I checked what the original circuit would do...I could hardly see the led was on...certainly not in bright sunlight..no good for me...I guess overall current drawn has gone up but is so small as not to be an issue.

hope this helps,

cheers,

Mike G6TRM

The pics are too big for attaching so please go to the files section under OZ5N folder
Hope they are of some use
Geoff
GI0GDP

Andy G4JNT

factor of 10 out
 2.1v/10mA = 210 ohms
Use 220R

'jnt

[...]

Thank you Andy, I stand corrected, 210 ohms indeed it was!!

Mike G6TRM

The pics are too big for attaching so please go to the files section under OZ5N folder
Hope they are of some use
Geoff
GI0GDP

geoffrey pike

I was surprised at the 10k and then equally surprised that my brand new Ebay 5mm blue LEDs worked a treat !
Geoff