Yahoo group web site very slow?

Noel G8GTZ

Is it just me or do others find any of the Yahoo groups web pages excruciatingly slow – as in almost minutes - to load?  Bizarrely, it seems to load very quickly on my mobile so is Yahoo discriminating against BT ISP subscribers or I am doing something wrong?

73 – Noel G8GTZ

Andy G4JNT

Fine here
BT Internet user

'jnt

On 12 July 2016 at 19:08, 'Noel Matthews' noel@... [ukmicrowaves] <ukmicrowaves@...> wrote:

Is it just me or do others find any of the Yahoo groups web pages excruciatingly slow – as in almost minutes - to load?  Bizarrely, it seems to load very quickly on my mobile so is Yahoo discriminating against BT ISP subscribers or I am doing something wrong?

73 – Noel G8GTZ

mjniman@...

Hi

Noel  - what are you using to view/access?

There is a known issue re iPads but PCs (Chrome etc) should be better...

 - and I am on BTinternet too (where I think the BT DNS has an issue and can be really sluggish with some of the ad/image servers rather than Yahoo itself)

73

 Murray G6JYB

Martin - G8JNJ

Hi Noel,

I have a real problem when using my iPad. Selecting "view as desktop site" from the settings menu within Chrome improves it to the point where it's just about usable.

As others have suggested, the problem seems to be with BT's DNS servers. I'd like to try changing my Infinity router DNS to one of the other public DNS server but BT seem to have removed that option from my HH5 version B.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ

www.g8jnj.net
www.tc2m.info

Noel G8GTZ

Hi – thanks for the heads up that it might be DNS related – I’ve changed the DNS on this PC to Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and the problem is cured – it took over 2 minutes to load the files area earlier today, now it is instant J

73 Noel

Noel  - what are you using to view/access?

There is a known issue re iPads but PCs (Chrome etc) should be better...

 - and I am on BTinternet too (where I think the BT DNS has an issue and can be really sluggish with some of the ad/image servers rather than Yahoo itself)

73

 Murray G6JYB

g4bao

Same problem with Virgin Media ISP, same fix, set DNS to 8.8.8.8

Just exactly what am I doing when I set my DNS to do this?

I think I'm looking for an explanation of DNS here!

73
John

On 12 July 2016 at 21:09, 'Noel Matthews' noel@... [ukmicrowaves] <ukmicrowaves@...> wrote:

Hi – thanks for the heads up that it might be DNS related – I’ve changed the DNS on this PC to Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and the problem is cured – it took over 2 minutes to load the files area earlier today, now it is instant J

73 Noel

Noel  - what are you using to view/access?

There is a known issue re iPads but PCs (Chrome etc) should be better...

 - and I am on BTinternet too (where I think the BT DNS has an issue and can be really sluggish with some of the ad/image servers rather than Yahoo itself)

73

 Murray G6JYB

Noel G8GTZ

Glad to be of help J Try this article - http://www.howtogeek.com/122845/htg-explains-what-is-dns/ and http://www.howtogeek.com/164981/how-to-switch-to-opendns-or-google-dns-to-speed-up-web-browsing/ - I actually think a couple of other sites are faster now as well...

Next problem to solve is why Yahoo puts an extra line break on all my emails!

73 Noel

Noel  - what are you using to view/access?

There is a known issue re iPads but PCs (Chrome etc) should be better...

 - and I am on BTinternet too (where I think the BT DNS has an issue and can be really sluggish with some of the ad/image servers rather than Yahoo itself)

73

 Murray G6JYB

Alan Melia

Hi Noel an interesting comment. I am on the BT server for mail (not BT-Yahoo) I find the on any group web-site the initial welcome page (with a blank picture) appears immediately ....that says not a DNS problem to me.....but wadderIknow :-)) The functions, most obvious by the correct picture banner loading then, takes 85 seconds to appear and respond to clicks. From then on response it reasonable. There is no internet activity during this wait time. There is no variation in this by time of day so it is unlikely to be congestion (I have a 50MB/s line)

Email message distribution seems fine but I get digests, though some other groups show quite long delays distributing postings.

My thought is that Yahoo have removed server hardware bandwidth to make their revenue earning operations seem more attractive for sale (Cynical....what me??) Maybe they just want to discourage Groups.

Alan
G3NYK

Noel G8GTZ

Hi Alan,

That’s exactly the effect I had and is, as Murray comments, probably due to the BT DNS servers taking a very long time to find the Yahoo Ad and image servers – try changing the DNS on one PC from “find DNS automatically” to use 8.8.8.8 and see what difference it makes.

73 – Noel.

[...]

How and where do we do this :

 In Chrome ?
 In IExx  ?
 In PC Setup ?

Andy  G4JNT

On 13 July 2016 at 13:21, 'Noel Matthews' noel@... [ukmicrowaves] <ukmicrowaves@...> wrote:

[...]

It’s done in the PC’s network adapter settings and so will apply to any browser you use – see http://www.howtogeek.com/164981/how-to-switch-to-opendns-or-google-dns-to-speed-up-web-browsing/ for a step by step guide.

Noel