Friedrichshafen

g8zha <g8zha@...>

I am thinking of going to Friedrichshafen next year, with the wife and son, so he can practice his german speaking.

Has anyone got any tips? Probably going to fly, but is driving a viable option?

Rich G8ZHA

Phil Guttridge G3TCU

I drove out this year with my XYL but we stopped overnight about half way as we wanted to visit friends in France. Had some hassle with Calais being closed on the way out so had to get a later sailing to Dunkirk.
We made it part of a touring holiday and came back through Switzerland, Austria and and Italy. Very enjoyable but it meant I missed a couple of contests at the end of June :-(
With a car, you can buy boat-anchor items like big heatsinks that might be a bit of a problem if you're flying.

73, Phil G3TCU

On 22/10/2015 21:55, 'g8zha' g8zha@... [ukmicrowaves] wrote:

I am thinking of going to Friedrichshafen next year, with the wife and son, so he can practice his german speaking.

Has anyone got any tips? Probably going to fly, but is driving a viable option?

Rich G8ZHA

Martyn G3UKV

Hi Rich
Another route a group of us have used a couple of times is fly to Stuttgart (cheap inter-city route), then train to Friedrichshafen. As it's in the same railway section of Germany, the fare is unbelievably cheap. I think it was about 13 each, return, booked as a family/group with 4 of us travelling. You must book at a ticket desk as it costs much more if you use a ticket machine in Stuttgart ! There is a direct underground train between the airport and main railway station. (a few more euro). The train is very comfortable, with varied countryside, letting the train take the strain, and punctual, of course.
73 Martyn G3UKV

On 22/10/2015 21:55, 'g8zha' g8zha@... [ukmicrowaves] wrote:

I am thinking of going to Friedrichshafen next year, with the wife and son, so he can practice his german speaking.

Has anyone got any tips? Probably going to fly, but is driving a viable option?

Rich G8ZHA

Reg Woolley

A lot go to Zurich get train then boat. There is a bus from town to the show site. Thus avoiding driving the morning after you have sampled the local falling over water.

Reg G8VHI

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy A3 - powered by Three

I am thinking of going to Friedrichshafen next year, with the wife and son, so he can practice his german speaking.

Has anyone got any tips? Probably going to fly, but is driving a viable option?

Rich G8ZHA

Pete - GM4BYF

Driving is feasible. Go via the Belgium motorways (free) – fill up petrol at Luxembourg (cheap) and head for the German autobahns initially on the banks of the Rhine. I have done it in one day to Edinburgh  – left  Friedrichshafen at 9am and got back at 1am next morning. Did not involve excessive speed. We did have 3 drivers experienced at driving on the continent. (was there for other non radio reasons).
73

Pete ‘BYF

Sent: Friday, October 23, 2015 12:19 PM
Subject: Re: [ukmicrowaves] Friedrichshafen