GM3WOJ streaming audio

Brian Flynn GM8BJF

I have been monitoring the GM3WOJ personal beacon in IO77WS. It is a consistant signal at my QTH in Edinburgh. It is audible above the noise all of the time on a 40cm dish. I would be interested in reports on it as I built it for Chris, WOJ  (He is an HF man but kindly offered to host a beacon on one of his towers.) The frequency is 10368.400 MHz and it sends FSK CW and JT4G. From the signal here I expect that it will get into  the North of England to a site with a clear north take-off.

The antenna is pointed at the Cairngorms which rise to above 1300m.  I suspect the propagation is by knife edge scattering over the tops. The tx antenna is a 35 cm (BSB) dish at a height of 11m AGL. Chris has a clear takeoff south to the hills which are about 80 km from him. The total path length to Edinburgh (my QTH) is 215 km. This all started when I realized that a number of these summits are LoS to both ends of the path between us.

The JT4G is timed off GPS and the frequency is derived from a 10MHz OCXO. Currently it is within 100 Hz of its nominal frequency. I have used the keying scheme suggested by Andy 4JNT and one of his LMX synth PCBs.

I have put some streaming audio of the received signal in my shack at

http://88.104.254.5:5700

or

http://gm3woj.no-ip.org:5700

At times it even moves my s-meter and can be copied without recourse to the JT4G!

Reports please to either me or Beaconspot.

73s, Brian

GM8BJF

Christopher Bartram <cbartram@...>

Great job, Brian. We need more beacons 'on the fringes'. There's a lot which we don't know, or perhaps appreciate about marginal microwave propagation in places other than the North Sea basin ...

Please give Chris my 73. He hasn't always been 100% an HF'er and I've worked him via Ar on 2m (and I think, even 6m during the brief period I was one of the 'original 50' active on that band, many times in the past!

Although I can't hear the beacon with my current set-up here in mid-Wales :-) I'm struck, listening to the streamed audio, by the 'scattered' nature of the signal. It would be interesting to try to separate any knife-edge propagation component from the troposcatter, which, I guess is almost certainly present too. How to do it, I don't know! Does anyone have any bright ideas?

Vy 73

Chris

gm4ogi <gm4ogi@...>

I have had a quick look at the web stream audio provided by Bryan.

The signal from the beacon GM3WOJ/b is as Bryan say constant. I note slight amplitude variation but nothing to suggest any variation due to weather patterns on the sample from today.

One way Knife-edge and troposcatter components can be separated is to look at the Doppler on the signal. Knife-edge diffraction tends to be constant as hills don’t tend to move too much. Therefore one can expect to see some signal broadening that remains essentially constant.  For troposcatter or weather scattering the cw signal is likely to be broadened a little more due to the random amplitude and phase components of the medium. This imparts a smearing or ghosting effect if you look at it using visual display tools and in extreme cases causes the signal to sound more auroral.  Looking closely at the cw part of the signal I can see a little smearing. LF smearing is probably due to FSK identification but there some HF signal smearing suggesting a bit of scatter. The snapshot I have is limited by signal jitter but I will load a picture later that may illustrate the smearing.

Scatter from rain/snow and weather fronts will add additional Doppler offsets and are likely to mask the weaker scatter modes.

Another way of course is to separate the components is by angle. The path between GM3WOJ between GM8BJF is a little over 200km so the “direct path” could be less than 1 degree in elevation and a troposcatter signal may arrive at an angle above 2 degrees. Ultimately the size of the receiving antenna will limit what you can do here. It should be possible to discriminate with a 60cm dish by putting the low level scatter signal into the first dish pattern null

The signal is also likely to change scatter characteristics during the day and not just due to the weather changes.

Having said all that, the beacon is likely to be audible across a wide area of northern Britain using very simple equipment (small horn, satellite lnb and small dish) on a regular basis.

Regards

Nick dl/gm4ogi

Great job, Brian. We need more beacons 'on the fringes'. There's a lot
which we don't know, or perhaps appreciate about marginal microwave
propagation in places other than the North Sea basin ...

Please give Chris my 73. He hasn't always been 100% an HF'er and I've
worked him via Ar on 2m (and I think, even 6m during the brief period I
was one of the 'original 50' active on that band, many times in the past!

Although I can't hear the beacon with my current set-up here in
mid-Wales :-) I'm struck, listening to the streamed audio, by the
'scattered' nature of the signal. It would be interesting to try to
separate any knife-edge propagation component from the troposcatter,
which, I guess is almost certainly present too. How to do it, I don't
know! Does anyone have any bright ideas?

Vy 73

Chris

Richard GD8EXI

Many years ago in conversation with the late Russ G4PBP I offer to host a 10GHz beacon from my house at the southern end of the Isle of Man, an offer that is still open. Russ even had some equipment earmarked for the project.

One ambitious idea was rather than having the dish on a fixed beam heading, have it rotating like a very slow radar scanner, the rotation being locked to GPS time. This would make the beacon useful to far more people and might help answer the questions re different propagation modes on 10GHz.  Are there any lighthouse like microwave beacons operational?

73s
Richard
GD8EXI
Currently GM8EXI/MM  in IO78 square

Andy G4JNT

Sounds a good idea - synchronise the dish rotation steps with the 2 minute cycle of a WSJT transmission an you have a very potent beacon source....

Now, I wonder, how may people have RS232 controllable rotators...

Andy   G4JNT

On 23 June 2014 10:20, Richard Baker perwick@... [ukmicrowaves] <ukmicrowaves@...> wrote:

Many years ago in conversation with the late Russ G4PBP I offer to host a 10GHz beacon from my house at the southern end of the Isle of Man, an offer that is still open. Russ even had some equipment earmarked for the project.

One ambitious idea was rather than having the dish on a fixed beam heading, have it rotating like a very slow radar scanner, the rotation being locked to GPS time. This would make the beacon useful to far more people and might help answer the questions re different propagation modes on 10GHz.  Are there any lighthouse like microwave beacons operational?

73s
Richard
GD8EXI
Currently GM8EXI/MM  in IO78 square

g4bao

Richard,
If you can find a team to make it happen, I'm sure the UKuG would fund the hardware.

73
John
Treasurer, UK Microwave group

On 23 June 2014 10:20, Richard Baker perwick@... [ukmicrowaves] <ukmicrowaves@...> wrote:

Many years ago in conversation with the late Russ G4PBP I offer to host a 10GHz beacon from my house at the southern end of the Isle of Man, an offer that is still open. Russ even had some equipment earmarked for the project.

One ambitious idea was rather than having the dish on a fixed beam heading, have it rotating like a very slow radar scanner, the rotation being locked to GPS time. This would make the beacon useful to far more people and might help answer the questions re different propagation modes on 10GHz.  Are there any lighthouse like microwave beacons operational?

73s
Richard
GD8EXI
Currently GM8EXI/MM  in IO78 square

Andy G4JNT

After RAL, I am now down to seven LMX2541 PCBs as used in the GM3WOJ beacons and there will be no reorder after they are gone.

Unless I misunderstood, John still has some of these PCBs that are available for UKuWG funded projects.

Andy
G4JNT

On 23 June 2014 11:43, g4bao john@... [ukmicrowaves] <ukmicrowaves@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Nick,

Interested in your thoughts on it. I have noticed that the signal picks up in the evenings as it is getting dark.
The wx is pretty settled at present and it will be interesting to see what happens when we get some good going rain! In my experience it rains most of the time on those high peaks!
I will leave the audio streaming, but I need to find some more energy efficient way of doing it as it involves running a PC and my FT736 plus 3cm transverter.

Plan A was to stream IQ data from a dongle/PLL LNB and raspberry pi but the upload speed on my internet couldn't handle it. I need to look further into that.

73s

Brian GM8BJF

gm4ogi <gm4ogi@...>

Hi Brian,

You don’t have to run the full IQ bandwidth so you could reduce the sample rate to match that which meets your requirements.

I’m not sure which SDR software allows IQ streaming data so perhaps you can illuminate me.

The spectrogram in the GM3WOJ/b groups folder is a capture from SDR#. This software allows me full screen views from either audio lines or processed IQ from the dingledangle dongles.

It is quite effective for a quick look and quite useful for its noise reduction at IQ as well as audio. If it had a correlation detection algorithm to recover cw tones to audio it could become quite useful.

Of course the internet streaming delay will mean that live decoding of the JT4G is unlikely.

I think you will find that this time of year will provide signal enhancement of about an hour in the evening and a similar time in the morning. This coincides with the time the wind drops significantly around sunset and sunrise, and no, it is not midge scatter (you need a lot more power for that) J. It would be interesting to see the signal to see if the enhanced by scatter or by refraction – again looking closely at the signal may give a clue.

At least you will be able to tell how hard it is raining and how fast the rain belt is moving. What will be very interesting is the wet snow scatter signal from around Cairngorm at the start of the Haggis season.

May I take this opportunity to thank you and Chris for providing such an interesting signal path and I look forward to reports from the many other stations who will receive it.

73

Nick dl/gm4ogi

Interested in your thoughts on it. I have noticed that the signal picks up in the evenings as it is getting dark.
The wx is pretty settled at present and it will be interesting to see what happens when we get some good going rain! In my experience it rains most of the time on those high peaks!
I will leave the audio streaming, but I need to find some more energy efficient way of doing it as it involves running a PC and my FT736 plus 3cm transverter.

Plan A was to stream IQ data from a dongle/PLL LNB and raspberry pi but the upload speed on my internet couldn't handle it. I need to look further into that.

73s

Brian GM8BJF

SAM JEWELL

Whilst the ex-GB3CEM beacon hardware sounds like a good idea, in fact it  is now the heart of GB3PKT after suitable re-progamming by G4BAO.
No one had suggested any other real use for the HW at the time of Russ' passing and GB3PKT was in great need. A few impractical and ill-thought-out ideas had been briefly mentioned but no one stepped forward to take on the their suggested projects.
Now the beacon sends its signal out east across the North Sea and west across the UK towards Wolverhampton from a really nice location and although we couldn't get the callsign changed to Russ' it does send his name in the CW steam.
Right now it is a good signal on rain scatter and has been heard across much of the UK on its west antenna lobe.

73 de Sam, G4DDK

SAM JEWELL

from the very scattery signal there appears to be some very heavy rain to the west of the GB3PKT beacon at the moment.
73 de Sam

SAM JEWELL

GB3CAM/10 also scattery due west from near Felixstowe. First time I have heard it since I put the 10GHz back on the mast.

Sam

RichardBown <richard@...>

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 20:26:38 +0100
"jewell@btinternet.com [ukmicrowaves]" <ukmicrowaves@yahoogroups.com>
wrote:

Whilst the ex-GB3CEM beacon hardware sounds like a good idea, in fact
it  is now the heart of GB3PKT after suitable re-progamming by G4BAO.
No one had suggested any other real use for the HW at the time of
Russ' passing and GB3PKT was in great need. A few impractical and
ill-thought-out ideas had been briefly mentioned but no one stepped
forward to take on the their suggested projects. Now the beacon sends
its signal out east across the North Sea and west across the UK
towards Wolverhampton from a really nice location and although we
couldn't get the callsign changed to Russ' it does send his name in
the CW steam. Right now it is a good signal on rain scatter and has
been heard across much of the UK on its west antenna lobe.

73 de Sam, G4DDK
That wasn't quite as I remember it Sam , or a few others on this side of
a beaconless West Midlands/Welsh Marches

Best wishes /73
Richard Bown
Email : richard@g8jvm.com
Alt Email : richard.bown@trmg.org.uk
HTTP : http://www.g8jvm.com
nil carborundum a illegitemis
##################################################################################
Ham Call G8JVM . OS Linux Mint 17 x86_64 on a Dell Inspiron N5030 laptop
Maidenhead QRA: IO82SP38, LAT. 52 39.720' N LONG. 2 28.171 W
QRV VHF 6mtrs 200W, 4 mtrs 150W, 2mtrs 400W, 70cms 200W
Microwave 23 cms 140W, 13 cms 100W, 6 cms 0W & 3cms 5W
##################################################################################

g4bao

As I'm always banging on about,  the UKuG will fully fund the hardware for beacons

(see the procedure at http://www.microwavers.org/proj-support.htm)

and will help with Ofcom liaison to get it licensed.

There have been a number of new beacons in the past few years, personal and otherwise where groups have bothered to make the effort, notably in GM and the North.

So the only excuse anyone has for not having a beacon in their area is lack of people prepared to make the effort put one together, find a site and get it licensed.

Don't wait for someone else to do it for you ....

73
John

Alt Email : richard.bown@...
HTTP : http://www.g8jvm.com
nil carborundum a illegitemis
##################################################################################
Ham Call G8JVM . OS Linux Mint 17 x86_64 on a Dell Inspiron N5030 laptop
Maidenhead QRA: IO82SP38, LAT. 52 39.720' N LONG. 2 28.171 W
QRV VHF 6mtrs 200W, 4 mtrs 150W, 2mtrs 400W, 70cms 200W
Microwave 23 cms 140W, 13 cms 100W, 6 cms 0W & 3cms 5W
##################################################################################

SAM JEWELL

Just the usual all mouth and no action plans. Get off your butts and do something.  Stop just keep talking about it.
 The usual ingratitude when someone does something useful

Sam

Nick Peckett <nick@...>

Hi Brian,

Hearing your beacon GM3WOJ for the first time today, basically a weaker version of what your audio feed demonstrates, same scattered type signal, but really weak 41s at best, in and out.

Regards Nick G4KUX

Sent: Monday, June 23, 2014 2:47 PM

Hi Nick,

Interested in your thoughts on it. I have noticed that the signal picks up in the evenings as it is getting dark.
The wx is pretty settled at present and it will be interesting to see what happens when we get some good going rain! In my experience it rains most of the time on those high peaks!
I will leave the audio streaming, but I need to find some more energy efficient way of doing it as it involves running a PC and my FT736 plus 3cm transverter.

Plan A was to stream IQ data from a dongle/PLL LNB and raspberry pi but the upload speed on my internet couldn't handle it. I need to look further into that.

73s

Brian GM8BJF

RichardBown <richard@...>

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 10:23:15 +0100
"g4bao john@g4bao.com [ukmicrowaves]" <ukmicrowaves@yahoogroups.com>
wrote:

As I'm always banging on about, the UKuG will fully fund the
hardware for beacons

(see the procedure at http://www.microwavers.org/proj-support.htm)

and will help with Ofcom liaison to get it licensed.

There have been a number of new beacons in the past few years,
personal and otherwise where groups have bothered to make the effort,
notably in GM and the North.

So the only excuse anyone has for not having a beacon in their area
is lack of people prepared to make the effort put one together, find
a site and get it licensed.

Don't wait for someone else to do it for you ....

73
John

John the UKuwave group offers no assistance to anyone offering to put
up personal beacons.
I was will and started to put my 3cms gear into beacon mode when not in
use, considering I only get about 5 maybe 6 QSOs a year.
I meant building a separate exciter and separate LO, I purchased the
RDDS for the LO and shelved the project due to expense and problems
with the cabling up to the transverter, I can only get up on the roof
when its dry and warm, due to health problems now.
I used the RDDS on 23cms in the end.
My intentions to go into beacon mode were stated on the reflector, so
it was known.
I haven't even had an offer of help.

I guess this post will censored from the reflector as well, thats why
the direct posting as well.

On 24 June 2014 08:50, RichardBown richard@g8jvm.com [ukmicrowaves] <

On 25 June 2014 15:57, RichardBown richard@... [ukmicrowaves] <ukmicrowaves@...> wrote:

John the UKuwave group offers no assistance to anyone offering to put
up personal beacons.
I was will and started to put my 3cms gear into beacon mode when not in
use, considering I only get about 5 maybe 6 QSOs a year.
I meant building a separate exciter and separate LO, I purchased the
RDDS for the LO and shelved the project due to expense and problems
with the cabling up to the transverter, I can only get up on the roof
when its dry and warm, due to health problems now.
I used the RDDS on 23cms in the end.
My intentions to go into beacon mode were stated on the reflector, so
it was known.
I haven't even had an offer of help.

I guess this post will censored from the reflector as well, thats why
the direct posting as well.

RichardBown <richard@...>

On Wed, 25 Jun 2014 16:15:45 +0100
"Andy Talbot andy.g4jnt@gmail.com [ukmicrowaves]"
<ukmicrowaves@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

http://www.microwavers.org/support.htm
Item 3

Item 3 second line of summary, thats a big gamble , too much to fork
out , on the possibility of some help, which 90% of the current
committee would block.

On 25 June 2014 15:57, RichardBown richard@g8jvm.com [ukmicrowaves] <
[...]

Can we adopt a more positive note on this stream. It seems to have been hi-jacked into into back-biting and complaining!!  I thought that a new beacon in the outer reaches would be good! ;-)

Remember it is only a hobby - not a way of life!

I think I will go back to receive only on this and become a SWL again!

Brian GM8BJF