uW Contests 2014

Martyn G3UKV

GE All
Given a bit of thought to the various uWave contests for next year, as requested by John 'XDY recently.

So, flying a kite, I wonder what active microwave users think of making each session only a 2 band pairing? More manageable for portables and some of us at home too.
Also reduce from 5 to 3 sessions per band (best 2 to decide championship over the season). Many have commented there have been too many contests in recent years - but there would be just 11 Sundays/weekends in this scheme (excluding RSGB events). Also Winter months (Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb) would have none (except RSGB UKAC evenings).
Gives more even date spacing per band than this year. Roving rule only to apply to 10 & 24G. (ie drop 5.7G - no one roves on 6cm).

All other aspects continue as this year (i.e. Hours of operating, Certificates and Sections, Scoring etc). Almost identical Sundays/weekends to 2013, which also fit in with the RSGB uWave events which are scheduled to remain the same in 2014.

2014 Thus:-
MARCH 16th - 1.3, 2.3G
APRIL 20th - 3.4, 5.7G
[MAY 3/4 - RSGB All Bands: 10G and 432MHz Trophies]
MAY 25th - 10, 24G
JUNE 1st - 1.3, 2.4 G
JUNE 29th - 3.4, 5.7G
[JULY 5/6 RSGB VHF NFD (inc 1.3G) ]
JULY 13th - 24/47/76 - 1000G
JULY 20th - 1.3, 2.3G
AUGUST 3rd - uWave Field Day 1.3, 10G (plus another band option?)
AUGUST 24th - 10, 24G
SEPTEMBER 28th - 3.4, 5.7G
[OCTOBER 4/5 RSGB All Bands: 1.3 and 2.3 Trophies ]
OCTOBER 5 - 10, 24G

Perhaps different pairings - eg 23/9cm, 13/6cm,  3cm/12mm ?
Others' thoughts ?
73 Martyn G3UKV
(aka G3ZME/P - Telford Group)

Roger Ray

Martyn,

It is a fair idea, but not great. I think if you put 3.4 & 5.7G together you would get few takers.
How about keeping 1.3, 2.3, 3.4G together.  Have 5 cumulatives, 2x 5.7 + 10G, 2x 10 + 24G, & 1 x 5.7, 10, 24G - or is that getting too complicated?

Roger

g4bao

I have to agree with roger about putting 3.4 and 5.7 together. There will be little take up. My idea if you Really want 2 band contests is to combine 23cms with a low activity band  but double the points for the low activity band QSOs.

John

On 16 Dec 2013 21:45, <g8cub@...> wrote:

Martyn,

It is a fair idea, but not great. I think if you put 3.4 & 5.7G together you would get few takers.
How about keeping 1.3, 2.3, 3.4G together.  Have 5 cumulatives, 2x 5.7 + 10G, 2x 10 + 24G, & 1 x 5.7, 10, 24G - or is that getting too complicated?

Roger

Richard Bown <richard@...>

On 16 Dec 2013 21:45, <g8cub@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

Martyn,

It is a fair idea, but not great. I think if you put 3.4 & 5.7G
together you would get few takers.
How about keeping 1.3, 2.3, 3.4G together. Have 5 cumulatives, 2x
5.7 + 10G, 2x 10 + 24G, & 1 x 5.7, 10, 24G - or is that getting too
complicated?

Roger

If you want to put multipliers in, why not x10 for calling CQ, either
directly or from a lower band. and x2 for putting the spot on the
dxcluster, so the paths worked can be seen by all.

Seasonal wishes
Richard Bown
Email : richard@g8jvm.com
HTTP : http://www.g8jvm.com
nil carborundum a illegitemis
##################################################################################
Ham Call G8JVM . OS Linux Mint 15 x86_64 on a Dell Inspiron N5030 laptop
Maidenhead QRA: IO82SP38, LAT. 52 39.720' N LONG. 2 28.171 W
QRV VHF 6mtrs 200W, 4 mtrs 150W, 2mtrs 350W, 70cms 200W
Microwave 23 cms 140W, 13 cms 100W, 6 cms 0W & 3cms 5W
##################################################################################

Martyn G3UKV

Hi John, Roger et al
Thanks for comments. If you look near the end of my previous email, I did suggest alternative pairings, for the reason you (and also John 'XDY himself) give . . .
"
Perhaps different pairings - eg 23/9cm, 13/6cm, 3cm/12mm ?"
This couples the more used bands with the less (wonder why ??) used bands, and puts 10 & 24 GHz bands together, with the possibility of Roving on either or both of these bands, which is reasonably practical, given the revised timings introduced this year.
I like your idea John of 'weighting' scores on the less-used band (ie 9cm, 6cm and 12mm) as an incentive, but that would require combining two (or more) bands scores, which I'm not so sure about. On balance, I think it would be safer at this stage to score each band separately.
Perhaps a trial overall "Microwave Championship" of ALL bands (23cm to light, with 'weighting') in 2015, with a free ticket to the World Tiddleywinks Olympics for the winner ?

Anyway, is there general support for a) reducing the number of contests overall, and b) for only having 2 bands per session ?
73 Martyn G3UKV

On 17/12/2013 09:55, g4bao wrote:

I have to agree with roger about putting 3.4 and 5.7 together. There will be little take up. My idea if you Really want 2 band contests is to combine 23cms with a low activity band but double the points for the low activity band QSOs.

John

On 16 Dec 2013 21:45, <g8cub@...> wrote:

Martyn,

It is a fair idea, but not great. I think if you put 3.4 & 5.7G together you would get few takers.
How about keeping 1.3, 2.3, 3.4G together. Have 5 cumulatives, 2x 5.7 + 10G, 2x 10 + 24G, & 1 x 5.7, 10, 24G - or is that getting too complicated?

Roger

g4bao

I was thinking in terms of ALWAYS pairing 23cms with others to guarantee entries for each and make a second higher band attractive from a competitive point of view.

Then we could have an end of year 23cm league table award, combining all the results plus an end of year "low activity bands" table award

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Martyn Vincent <ukv@...> wrote:

[...]

Phil Guttridge G3TCU

Hi Martyn,

I speak as a member of a group who have spent a decade developing and refining our equipment and practices for the 'Low Microwave Bands' contests.
Most of our QSOs are initially established on 23cm and then 'handed on' to our 13cm & 9cm stations. The antennas for the 23cm station are relatively large and heavy and it needs at least four people to raise the mast.
If the three band contest configuration is disassembled, we would have little motive to get together as a group and our activity would probably decline or terminate.
It is a contest  and part of the challenge is that we need to do well on all three bands. I see making it easier by de-scoping to two bands as a step backwards. Sure, there is scope for two band contests, but in the case of the Low Bands, it ain't broke so it doesn't need fixing.

73, Phil G3TCU (who provides the 23cm station)

On 16/12/2013 18:55, Martyn Vincent wrote:

[...]

Graham Kimbell G3TCT <g3tct@...>

I agree with Roger and Phil
Our group has supported the low band contests from a few portable sites for a few years now and found that 23/13/9cm is fine - we wouldn't find it helpful to split these up or to combine them with any other bands. It could be argued that there are too many of them during the year, but I think the most important thing is to synchronise them with activity on the continent. It's very disheartening to go to the effort of setting everything up at a portable site and find hardly any activity.

PS. Can we have a results page on the web please?
Graham

It is a fair idea, but not great. I think if you put 3.4 & 5.7G
together you would get few takers.
How about keeping 1.3, 2.3, 3.4G together. Have 5 cumulatives, 2x
5.7 + 10G, 2x 10 + 24G, & 1 x 5.7, 10, 24G - or is that getting
too complicated?

Roger

David.Austen@...

Martyn,

I agree with Phil that it would be a great pity to stop the Low Band contests. Most of the portables we work appear to be groups of two or more individuals and the home stations (who have more than one band) are able to switch quickly and easily. So I feel that the premise for changing the Low Band is somewhat flawed.

Simple band pairings will always require one of the lower bands, probably 23cm, or heavy reliance on KST. Use or 2m talkback seems to have dwindled significantly and it's not unusual to establish zero contacts that way during a Low Band these days.

73, Dave G1EHF (who provides the 9cm station)

Richard Bown <richard@...>

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 11:35:30 +0000
Graham Kimbell G3TCT <g3tct@lineone.net> wrote:

I agree with Roger and Phil
Our group has supported the low band contests from a few portable
sites for a few years now and found that 23/13/9cm is fine - we
wouldn't find it helpful to split these up or to combine them with
any other bands. It could be argued that there are too many of them
during the year, but I think the most important thing is to
synchronise them with activity on the continent. It's very
disheartening to go to the effort of setting everything up at a
portable site and find hardly any activity.

PS. Can we have a results page on the web please?
Graham

I dont agree with splitting the low bands either, but if you spot
yourselves on the DXCluster, as I use Dave G7RAUs Live_MUF software
I see immediately a spot on the map where you are and my beam heading
to you, and if you do that rare thing of calling CQ , there's a good
chance I might even find you

> It is a fair idea, but not great. I think if you put 3.4 & 5.7G
> together you would get few takers.
> How about keeping 1.3, 2.3, 3.4G together. Have 5 cumulatives, 2x
> 5.7 + 10G, 2x 10 + 24G, & 1 x 5.7, 10, 24G - or is that getting
> too complicated?
>
> Roger

Seasonal wishes
Richard Bown
Email : richard@g8jvm.com
HTTP : http://www.g8jvm.com
nil carborundum a illegitemis
##################################################################################
Ham Call G8JVM . OS Linux Mint 15 x86_64 on a Dell Inspiron N5030 laptop
Maidenhead QRA: IO82SP38, LAT. 52 39.720' N LONG. 2 28.171 W
QRV VHF 6mtrs 200W, 4 mtrs 150W, 2mtrs 350W, 70cms 200W
Microwave 23 cms 140W, 13 cms 100W, 6 cms 0W & 3cms 5W
##################################################################################

g4bao

Hence my idea of "pairing" every "low activity band" contests with 23cm ones and doubling? points scored for the higher band /bands to make them more attractive

(or did my email get lost due to the recent yahoo problems?)

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 2:51 PM, Phil Guttridge <p.guttridge@...> wrote:

[...]

Graham, you'd be more that welcome to join the UKuG committee and do that. How about it?

The UKuG is sadly lacking in web-savvy people, especially if we were to lose the current webmaster, who is Murray and is VERY busy on other things!!.

73
John

Barry Lewis

Folks,
I entirely object to changing the format and fully support retaining the three Lo-Band bands together in the same events. In addition I don't support any changes to the 5.7/10/24 activites either.

The small /P group I tend to operate in works because individuals concentrate on specific bands leading to a better overall team performance. The team  is required in order to make the whole operation effective and manageable. Excluding specific bands will act as a disincentive for some parties (and we know that a good incentive is required on cold windy days!) resulting in reduced activity.

73
Barry
G4SJH

Tony G4NBS

Can we not get the results published on RSGB contest site? That might also publicise the fact that there are microwave contests outside of RSGB events and possibly help increase activity?

I'm guessing those that haven't heard of this group might not know when the contests are??

Regards
Tony G4NBS

PS. Can we have a results page on the web please?
Graham

Graham, you'd be more that welcome to join the UKuG committee and do that. How about it? The UKuG is sadly lacking in web-savvy people, especially if we were to lose the current webmaster, who is Murray and is VERY busy on other things!!. 73
John

Raymond Brooks

Hi Folks,

I do not entirely object to changing the format, I have been out portable a number of times this year in England & Scotland and not just for contests. Should we be reducing activity on any of the µW bands whilst there is uncertainty on our continued access to the lower bands?

Personally I was looking forward to the 2014, as I have just got an old Suzuki 4X4 ready and kitted out for low band contest to access some remote sites. I was trying to getting a small group together even though we have only low power available at this time.

73

Raymond

G8KPS

Martyn G3UKV

GE All
Thanks for all responses.
As I flew the kite, sticking my head over the parapet, I can safely announce it has gone down like a lead balloon ( I like mixing metaphors ...)
Back to the drawing board. (that's four)
But let's hope for more activity in 2014.

FYI - there were
10, 5 and 6 entries on 23, 13 and 9cm in the April '13 contest, respectively
3, 3 and 2 in the June 2013 leg, and
11, 8 and 7 in the Nov 2012 event (2013 results not yet issued).

Compare these to the entries for Tuesday evening 2013 UKAC sessions, of which there were 11:-
23cm 139
13cm 27
9cm 8
6cm 7
3cm 16
Which probably doesn't prove anything, except if you want to win a trophy or a certificate, 9cm, 6cm (and 24GHz +) are the bands to go for in 2014!

73 - Happy Christmas es DX in 2014
Martyn G3UKV

On 18/12/2013 14:51, Phil Guttridge wrote:

[...]

Martyn, you raise a very valid point. The level of activity in the UKACs (I'm thinking particularly of 23cm) is very encouraging but it leads me to think that many of the participants are unaware of the uk Microwave Group contests. I've exchanged messages with John XDY before about how we can increase awareness. As a first step, why can't we at least have a link to the uW contest calendar from the RSGB VHF Contest Calendar web page? Surely that's not too much to ask?

73, Phil G3TCU.

On 19/12/2013 21:16, Martyn Vincent wrote:

[...]

Dave <dave@...>

These maybe more 'famous last words', but I am hoping to get going on 13cm next year. I have a 2300<>144MHz transverter and a PA that should be good for 30W, maybe more if I can remember the advice from the guy I bought it from at Finningley...

The sticking point is still the antenna.  I have the mesh dish which was very kindly donated that I had hoped would sit between the 23cm and 70cm antennas, but now I've measured it, and guestamated the distance between the two antennas, I don't think that it will.  :-(  So, maybe another Yagi/Uda will need to be built instead...  The mesh dish will still come in useful for any trips out, or maybe for a temporary mounting on top of the garage for 'local' contacts, though.

I wonder who is my nearest 13cm equiped neighbour? I'm guessing GB3MHS and/or GB3ANT will be a good starting point to see if the receiver is working, but I'll probably need to see if there's someone local to experiment with.  I'll be able to detect my signal on an analyser, but there's nothing like actually having someone hear your signal. ;-)

Anyway, that's the plan for 2014, now watch out for someone in the family/work to knock the plan off its rails...

Dave (G0DJA)

But let's hope for more activity in 2014.

FYI - there were
10, 5 and 6 entries on 23, 13 and 9cm in the April '13 contest, respectively
3, 3 and 2 in the June 2013 leg, and
11, 8 and 7 in the Nov 2012 event (2013 results not yet issued).

Compare these to the entries for Tuesday evening 2013 UKAC sessions, of which there were 11:-
23cm 139
13cm 27
9cm 8
6cm 7
3cm 16

Martin A Hall <gorrell77@...>

My story as well!  I started my 13cm system in the 1970's, but it got put on hold - I've had a 'JVL quad loop yagi for a long time.  For the last 2 years I've been trying to find the time to get a more modern version up and running.  I have all the bits - I'm sure 2014 will be the year!  I suspect my nearest 13cm neighbour is a little further away than yours, Dave  :o)

Good luck!

73,
Martin
GM8IEM - IO78HF

But let's hope for more activity in 2014.

FYI - there were
10, 5 and 6 entries on 23, 13 and 9cm in the April '13 contest, respectively
3, 3 and 2 in the June 2013 leg, and
11, 8 and 7 in the Nov 2012 event (2013 results not yet issued).

Compare these to the entries for Tuesday evening 2013 UKAC sessions, of which there were 11:-
23cm 139
13cm 27
9cm 8
6cm 7
3cm 16

Richard Bown <richard@...>

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 20:18:21 -0000
"Martin A Hall" <gorrell77@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

My story as well! I started my 13cm system in the 1970's, but it got
put on hold - I've had a 'JVL quad loop yagi for a long time. For
the last 2 years I've been trying to find the time to get a more
modern version up and running. I have all the bits - I'm sure 2014
will be the year! I suspect my nearest 13cm neighbour is a little
further away than yours, Dave :o)

Good luck!

73,
Martin
GM8IEM - IO78HF
Martin
I suggest you nag Dave GM3WIL to get his 13cms system up and running,
he intends /P operation, he's down at Prestwick. he should have 12 ~15W
and should be able to find a 80 cms offset sat dish somewhere, It may
be worth trying to get someone on the west coast QRV. You should get
some aircraft scatter between you,
I gave him the PA 3 years ago, so may be a push as you get running may
get him out on the hills.