24GHz, 47GHz, and 76-248GHz Contests next weekend, 21st July

John Quarmby

I won't be putting together a formal activity list for this event, as I expect those with the capability to take part are already in touch with each other to coordinate sites etc, so this is just a reminder that the UK Microwave group mm wave contest is next Sunday 21st July, from 0900 - 1700z (1000 - 1800 BST).

73

John G3XDY

Ole OZ2OE

Hi John

Do you know of a location in the southwest that will be activated during the test the 21'th - or could point me to someone who knows?

I will be on holidays in the UK at the time. On the 21'st we shall be leaving a B&B in Oxford in the morning and ending up in Plymouth late afternoon, visiting places of interest - my wife wants to see Stonehenge - so I can have a wish too. If it's more or less on our route it would be fun to check in on one the test sites. Even just for the view from a hilltop.

Unfortunately I cannot bring any of my 24, 47 og 76 GHz equipment with me. Weight limits on Ryanair are quite restrictive.

73 Ole OZ2OE

I won't be putting together a formal activity list for this event, as I
expect those with the capability to take part are already in touch with
each other to coordinate sites etc, so this is just a reminder that the
UK Microwave group mm wave contest is next Sunday 21st July, from 0900 -
1700z (1000 - 1800 BST).

73

John G3XDY

g4bao

I'm not really "in the loop" with the mmwavers as I've only recently got back on the band, but I plan to be QRV on 24GHz (and 10GHz) from home during the contest and co-ordinating via KST.

It would be good if the portable stations could let me know their approximate whereabouts on the Sunday so I can be QRV at the right time. If the info was on this reflector, not direct that would be even better for promoting the higher bands.

Hopefully I can also encourage Roger G4BEL to come on 24Ghz from his home QTH up the road from me JO02BI

Equipment here for 24GHz at JO02cg33

TX 1 Watt at feed
RX 5dB NF at feed
Antenna 60cm dish at 8magl with elevation control

Contact: Skype johng4bao, Twitter @g4bao, landline on the day 01223862480

Please also listen for my beacon GB3CAM IO92WI53 GPS locked on 24048.870 running JT4G and CW. reports via beaconspot.eu please. Dave G4FRE still holds the DX reception record for GB3CAM/24 at 150km, so how about trying to knock Dave off his perch next weekend? A beer on me at the next round table for the group/individual that does!

73
John

I won't be putting together a formal activity list for this event, as I
expect those with the capability to take part are already in touch with
each other to coordinate sites etc, so this is just a reminder that the
UK Microwave group mm wave contest is next Sunday 21st July, from 0900 -
1700z (1000 - 1800 BST).

73

John G3XDY

David Robinson

i am still waiting for my beer for that reception all those years ago

Dave!

On Jul 14, 2013, at 4:38 AM, "G4BAO" <john@g4bao.com> wrote:

please. Dave G4FRE still holds the DX reception record for GB3CAM/24 at 150km, so how about trying to knock Dave off his perch next weekend? A beer on me at the next round table for the group/individual that does!

73
John

Dave <dave@...>

Next weekend is probably not going to be good for me to go out portable.  I've taken two days out this weekend and it's my daughters graduation on the Monday, so I suspect that I'll be involved in getting ready for that.

However, I will put the 24GHz gear on a tripod in the shack.  I can point the dish from about 140 degrees to 240 degree (magnetic bearings) through the window.  Power is only about 94mW out and the RX isn't up to the modern equipment levels, but we'll see if it works.

I will try to put up something for 2M talkback, but please don't expect loud signals as it'll either be a vertical on a temporary mast, or a portable 3 element yagi inside the room.  Sorry, can't get a yagi onto the rotator for a variety of reasons.

The other alternative is  ON4KST, but I realise the limitations of trying to log on and use that system when out portable..

Dave (G0DJA)

I'm not really "in the loop" with the mmwavers as I've only recently got back on the band, but I plan to be QRV on 24GHz (and 10GHz) from home during the contest and co-ordinating via KST.

It would be good if the portable stations could let me know their approximate whereabouts on the Sunday so I can be QRV at the right time. If the info was on this reflector, not direct that would be even better for promoting the higher bands.

Martyn G3UKV

GE All

First item - many thanks to all those at Finningley who organised the RT this weekend - greatly enjoyed & appreciated.
Secondly, I WOULD appreciate postings here from anyone hoping to be on 24GHz next Sunday, as I have no other readily available info. on who may be around, and I would like to operate from more than one site in the Shropshire/W. Midlands area.
If I know who might be on, and their general directions, I can plan a day out to cover as many paths as possible, roving.
Current activity on 24GHz seems to be at its lowest for many years.

BTW, GB3ZME (IO82RP) nominally 24048.910 MHz is operational, but the G8ACE OCXO temp. control bit has gone AWOL, so it serves two purposes as a propagation beacon and site temperature gauge (vs freq. Low on warm or hot days).  Steps are in hand to discipline the miscreant.
73 Martyn G3UKV (also G3ZME/P)

On 13/07/2013 23:10, G3XDY wrote:

I won't be putting together a formal activity list for this event, as I
expect those with the capability to take part are already in touch with
each other to coordinate sites etc, so this is just a reminder that the
UK Microwave group mm wave contest is next Sunday 21st July, from 0900 -
1700z (1000 - 1800 BST).

73

John G3XDY

ian_lamb1958 <ianglamb@...>

I will be operating 24, 47 & 76GHz from Butser Hill, Hants, IO90MX from 09h00z. Talk back 144.175MHz, 100W, horizontal polarisation.

I understand that G8ACE/P and G8BKE/P will be operational on 24, 47 & 76GHz from Povington, Dorset, IO80WP01.

73 .. Ian
G8KQW

--- In ukmicrowaves@yahoogroups.com, G3XDY <g3xdy@...> wrote:

I won't be putting together a formal activity list for this event, as I
expect those with the capability to take part are already in touch with
each other to coordinate sites etc, so this is just a reminder that the
UK Microwave group mm wave contest is next Sunday 21st July, from 0900 -
1700z (1000 - 1800 BST).

73

John G3XDY

John Quarmby

Hi Ole

I hope you have a great visit to the UK, at least the weather is looking good at present.

I don't know of anyone directly on your route that might be active I'm afraid.

I attach an email from Ian G8KQW, you might like to visit  G8BKE/P and G8ACE/P - I suggest you contact Ian direct and he can let BKE/ACE know if you have the time to divert down to the south coast.

73

John G3XDY

On 14/07/2013 08:53, Ole Nykjaer wrote:
[...]

Roger Ray

Plans have yet to be finalised. But, Chris G0FDZ/P and myself G8CUB/P will be on from JO01EP with 24 / 47 /76 / 134GHz. Towards the end of the contest we expect to be on from Wrotham JO01DH. John G4EAT expects to be on for the last hour with 24 / 76GHz.

73

Roger
G8CUB

--- In ukmicrowaves@yahoogroups.com, G3XDY <g3xdy@...> wrote:

I won't be putting together a formal activity list for this event, as I
expect those with the capability to take part are already in touch with
each other to coordinate sites etc, so this is just a reminder that the
UK Microwave group mm wave contest is next Sunday 21st July, from 0900 -
1700z (1000 - 1800 BST).

73

John G3XDY

Keith GW3TKH

I plan to be on 24Ghz from IO81LS19, roving to IO82KA66 (car park) and/or IO81EV03.
Talk back via 144.175Hhz and phone: 07762 885015
Hope to work someone!

73 Keith
GW3TKH

Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 15:12:19 +0100
From: Martyn Vincent
To: ukmicrowaves@...

Hi Peter, Keith, Chris, Roger et al
Been studying potential paths re 24 GHz.
So....
Start at Brown Clee (IO82QL84), around 0930 (UTC). Path to JO01EP maybe ????(with lift!) + IO81LS, IO93FB, IO93AD likely
Rove to Little Wenlock area (IO82RQ60). Paths to IO81LS, IO93AD, IO93AF08 maybe. Middle of day.
Rove to Redhill or New Works (IO82TQ16, IO82SQ01). Paths to Alport, Cat & Fiddle and more.  Later in afternoon. (Say 15:00 ?)

[...]

Apologies for re-send - but Yahoo seems to be delaying this topical msg when earlier mailings are included. So I've cut them right down, back to John's original...

[...]

etc etc