GB3MCB on 23 cms

Lawrence <lawrence@...>

Has anyone checked the frequency of GB3MCB on 23 cms recently?

For some time I have been looking for it without any luck. I assumed it was because it beams NE, which is sideways on to me, and that I use a rather low gain log periodic antenna. This morning I found it but it was not where I thought it would be. The web sites that list it give the frequency as 1296.860 MHz but my radio indicated 1296.845 MHz which was much lower than I had anticipated.

My radio is the IC-910X and earlier this year I had replaced the crystal oscillator with the optional high stability CR-293 (photos of this and of the antenna are on my QRZ entry). I have not calibrated it yet but hope to be able to do soon. I have acquired a Jupiter T GPS receiver and could use the ratio function on my counter to compare the 30.2 MHz with 10 kHz until I build a PLL circuit to give me 10 MHz.

When I have compared my indicated frequency on 23 cms with others it is usually similar and within 1 kHz so I assume I am not too far out. The CR-293 has greatly improved the stability and so got rid of the drift which had been annoying. That was the most important improvement that I had been looking for.

73, Lawrence GJ3RAX

Neil Whiting <neil@...>

Hello Lawrence,

If you look on http://www.beaconspot.eu you can see that the spots show the
frequency has been drifting down over the last few months.
It was last reported on 1296.846, so looks like your frequency is good.
I can't hear it at present so can't confirm.

Try this link - hopefully it will work for you:
http://www.beaconspot.eu/beaconc.php?beaconcall=GB3MCB&bandmhz=1296

73. Neil G4BRK

From: Neil Whiting

> If you look on http://www.beaconspot.eu you can see that the spots show the
> frequency has been drifting down over the last few months.
> It was last reported on 1296.846, so looks like your frequency is good.
> I can't hear it at present so can't confirm.

> Try this link - hopefully it will work for you:
> http://www.beaconspot.eu/beaconc.php?beaconcall=GB3MCB&bandmhz=1296

Thanks for that. I had not thought of looking there so it was appreciated.

I had quoted an approximate frequency that was displayed when the keying gave a
reasonable tone. I can only read Morse when I know what I am receiving and the
speed is very low!

I just tried again and tuned for zero beat when it was not keying. It now shows
1296.845.8 which is very close to the frequency given on that web page. I am now
more confident than I was before that my calibration seems to be as good as I
need it to be as I only use SSB on that band.

I am now hoping to be able to get more QSOs with some of you on 23 cms. I have
worked a few G stations on the band and during VHF NFD was getting a very strong
signal from EI9E/P which I also worked on 6 m, 2 m and 70 cms. Best DX so far
has been DB6NT, out of 6 countries worked, but I am still looking for a GW as
that should be relatively easy if someone is in a good location.

73, Lawrence GJ3RAX

No virus found in this message.

Ralph

I can confirm it is on 1296.846 +/- a whisker
73
Ralph G4ALY

> frequency has been drifting down over the last few months.
> It was last reported on 1296.846, so looks like your frequency is good.
> I can't hear it at present so can't confirm.

> Try this link - hopefully it will work for you:
> http://www.beaconspot.eu/beaconc.php?beaconcall=GB3MCB&bandmhz=1296

Thanks for that. I had not thought of looking there so it was appreciated.

I had quoted an approximate frequency that was displayed when the keying gave a
reasonable tone. I can only read Morse when I know what I am receiving and the
speed is very low!

I just tried again and tuned for zero beat when it was not keying. It now shows
1296.845.8 which is very close to the frequency given on that web page. I am now
more confident than I was before that my calibration seems to be as good as I
need it to be as I only use SSB on that band.

I am now hoping to be able to get more QSOs with some of you on 23 cms. I have
worked a few G stations on the band and during VHF NFD was getting a very strong
signal from EI9E/P which I also worked on 6 m, 2 m and 70 cms. Best DX so far
has been DB6NT, out of 6 countries worked, but I am still looking for a GW as
that should be relatively easy if someone is in a good location.

73, Lawrence GJ3RAX

No virus found in this message.

Keith GW3TKH

Just checked against gpsdo, 1296.8463Mhz.

73 Keith
GW3TKH

From: Keith Winnard

Just checked against gpsdo, 1296.8463Mhz.

Thanks. That makes me about 500 Hz out and I was hoping that I was within about 1 kHz at this stage.

Do you have a good path in my direction? If so, I would appreciate a sked some time.

73, Lawrence GJ3RAX

John E. Beech

I haven't made an accurate measurement but the 6m beacon seemed slightly off frequency last night. Do they all use the
same frequency reference? G8SEQ/P lsles of Scilly.