Scotland Trip

Dave Ackrill <dave.g0dja@...>

I'm off on a business trip for a couple of days, starting with Ayr today (site meeting tomorrow) and moving to Livingstone Wednesday night for a second site visit on Thursday and then back home.

I'm not sure of the area, whether there's any good places to operate or even how long I might have to be on air, but I shall take the 3cm transverter, a couple of dishes and a small 2M/70cm antenna (the SOTA beam) plus a couple of small 2M/70cm handhelds, if there are repeaters that I can use, and the FT817 with me in case there's a chance and a good spot to go to.

I will have the PC and access to the internet, as long as the Vodaphone signals are good enough, but experience tells me that using a PC in the car isn't ideal, so I will have my mobile phone with me on 07595 069056. This is my company number, so will be switched off when I'm in meetings but please respect the fact that I can't talk about Amateur Radio when I'm supposed to be at work. :-)

The gear set up isn't ideal either, as I've yet to sort out a decent way of mounting the dishes with the transveter and the IF radio, but I will do my best with what I have got to hand.

I'll be leaving home about mid-day so I'll look at my emails on here before I go in case anyone has any last minute suggestions for hills to go to that are not too difficult to get onto.

Hope to work someone, somewhere, over the next couple of days.

Cheers - Dave (G0DJA)

Gordon JC Pearce <gordon@...>

On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 10:31 +0100, Dave Ackrill wrote:

I'm not sure of the area, whether there's any good places to operate or
even how long I might have to be on air, but I shall take the 3cm
transverter, a couple of dishes and a small 2M/70cm antenna (the SOTA
beam) plus a couple of small 2M/70cm handhelds, if there are repeaters
that I can use, and the FT817 with me in case there's a chance and a
good spot to go to.
Hi there, I'm new to the list and new to 3cm ;-)

I'm up in Glasgow and I normally have either GB3CS or GB3AY on - AY is
down near Dalry so if you're in or about Ayr you'll get into it no
problem if you want a chat. There's also GB3PA but that's on the "wrong
side of the hill" for you in Ayr. Livingston is in the infamous
"Livingston Dip" where there's a hole in GB3CS's coverage, but you
should be okay with a car-mounted aerial. I'm not really active on 70cm
much, so I can't really comment on the 70cm repeaters.

I'm sure you know that there's GB3TC up near Kilsyth. From my home QTH
I've had only very limited success in hearing its beacon using a Sky LNB
and my TH-F7E with a homebrewed power tee. If I can tidy up the
construction a bit then I might take it out and see if I can hear you.

Gordon MM3YEQ

Dave Ackrill <dave.g0dja@...>

Gordon JC Pearce wrote:

Hi there, I'm new to the list and new to 3cm ;-)
Thanks for the suggestions and advice Gordon, it's been a while since I was in Scotland and I've lost touch with the repeaters.

Unfortunately I wont have a car mounted antenna, but I'll look up the frequencies of the repeaters you mentioned to see what I can hear and work through.

Just finishing packing and starting out on the 5 hour (plus stops) journey...

Cheers - Dave (G0DJA)

Gordon JC Pearce <gordon@...>

On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 11:52 +0100, Dave Ackrill wrote:
Gordon JC Pearce wrote:

Hi there, I'm new to the list and new to 3cm ;-)
Thanks for the suggestions and advice Gordon, it's been a while since I
was in Scotland and I've lost touch with the repeaters.

Unfortunately I wont have a car mounted antenna, but I'll look up the
frequencies of the repeaters you mentioned to see what I can hear and
work through.

Just finishing packing and starting out on the 5 hour (plus stops)
journey...
Well, I'll listen out this evening on AY then, if you're going to
Ayrshire first.

Gordon MM3YEQ