OT: Anyone out there used a 'Kindle'?

Joe McElvenney <ximac@...>

Hi,

I've got a pile of textbooks in pdf format and it would be lovely
to have them in a convenient form such as on an Amazon 'Kindle' or
perhaps the Sony equivalent. The question is, how well do these
things handle schematics, graphics or maths? What are they like to
use in general; as touchy-feely as a paperback?

Of course they are way over-priced but Christmas is only eight
months away. A time when I can buy myself a present without
feeling guilty should folks say, "That's nice. How much was it?".
"Two hundred quid! You must have more money than sense", - a
sentiment I can't generally argue with. The lack of sense, that
is, but not the surfeit of money part.

Cheers - Joe G3LLV

David Wrigley <zen130696@...>

Hi Joe

I've also been looking at that.

My concern with the Kindle is that the transfer mechanism isn't under our control- you have to email Amazon to get pdf's transferred.

I'm now looking at the Sony one.....

David G6GXK

Christopher Bartram <cbartram@...>

David wrote:

I'm now looking at the Sony one.....
Which handles PDF's IIRC. It's on my fantasy Christmas present list!

However, it seems to me that electronic books have a couple of intrinsic
problems. Firstly, they are only really useful away from a computer. Perhaps
it's me, but when I read text books I often have two or three open, so that I
can cross-refer.

Also, E-books suffer from a similar problem to the real thing: they are too
small and easily left on public transport etc. I don't really mind loosing a
ten quid paperback, but I'd start to grieve if I left a UKP200 e-book on the
train!

Given current prices, I wonder if a netbook mightn't be a better solution...

Enough displacement activity - back to the VAT!

Vy 73

Chris
GW4DGU

David Wrigley <zen130696@...>

Hi Chris,

Yes some good points. I have often thought that that computer screen should be as big as a desk top - with the ability to open documents side by side. With a modern high definition screen it is possible to compare two A4 pages side by side on a PC. But unless you have a pretty big screen - you need good eyesight. I've tried it on a 17 inch screen it is just too much of a strain at that definition. I suppose this is the prod I needed to get a 24 inch screen for my PC.

The small screen is a problem but I suppose part of the attraction of its portability. I think I'll wait till they build a dual A4 unit which will open up like a book. with two pages. and also provide for writing on one of them. That should keep my spending down for a few years yet.

Incidentally what about a transponder device which shouts at you if you move more than a metre away from it. I can see that being useful - pick pockets beware!!

Oh- just to keep within the rules - I'd better mention the value to or involvement in microwaves...

regards
David