10Mhz reference

Tony Gallagher <tony_g_ireland@...>

Hi,
Can anyone recomend a low cost 10Mhz reference for my transverter?

Thanks

Tony

g0mjw <mike.willis@...>

--- In ukmicrowaves@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Gallagher"
<tony_g_ireland@...> wrote:

Hi,
Can anyone recomend a low cost 10Mhz reference for my transverter?

Thanks

Tony
Define low cost?

If you want GPS locked then the G4JNT or G3RUH designs. G4JNTs is
cheaper but you have to build it yourself, price depends on your
junkbox. A commercial reference, GPS locked from James will only cost
you £240.

For a stable not-gps-locked oscillator, I believe Charles at Taurus
still has some of the NEC/TOYO oven references. They are excellent for
the money.

Other options are old second hand HP gear, e.g. frequency counters and
signal generators which often contain an exceptional reference
oscillator that is well aged and very stable.

Mike

Tony Gallagher <tony_g_ireland@...>

Hi Mike,
Thanks for that. I dont really want to spend any more than 100pounds.
Would this be suitable?
http://photo1.bababian.com/usr651933/upload11/20080716/s7YmZfkeAhQs+JeErkhwp_tSqzWvTHbQvMjgR1CsSDX1bB_0eHsf6tA==.jpg

Tony

Chris Ruddy MM0KOS

Hi Tony

I used the VE2ZAZ board http://ve2zaz.net/GPS_Std/GPS_Std.htm with a trimble reciever from GM4ISM and some information for building the unit from GM4ISMs site. Im sure if you email Mark he will be able to supply you with a reciever

Very easy  and good to the pocket also

73 Chris MM0KOS

Geoff Blake <geoff@...>

<tony_g_ireland@...> wrote:

Hi,
Can anyone recomend a low cost 10Mhz reference for my transverter?

Thanks

Tony
Define low cost?

If you want GPS locked then the G4JNT or G3RUH designs. G4JNTs is
cheaper but you have to build it yourself, price depends on your
junkbox. A commercial reference, GPS locked from James will only cost
you £240.

For a stable not-gps-locked oscillator, I believe Charles at Taurus
still has some of the NEC/TOYO oven references. They are excellent for
the money.

Other options are old second hand HP gear, e.g. frequency counters and
signal generators which often contain an exceptional reference
oscillator that is well aged and very stable.
A visit to a rally where you might find something like HP 5328,
5342, 5345 and similar counters may yield a HP10811 standard,
which is probably one of the best available. If you find a counter
with a blown-up front end, you could get a bargain, but check that
nobody else has been there earlier. Some signal generators also
use the HP standard.

Alternatively some surplus Trimble GPSDO were made available via
TAPR last year, but they may be cheaper to import directly to the
UK.

If you are going portable, then the lower power consumption and
quick lock-up time of the G4JNT system may pay dividends.

73 Geoff

--
Geoff Blake G8GNZ located near Chelmsford, Essex, U.K.
Please reply to: geoff(at)palaemon(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk

See <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>

This E-mail and any attachment(s) are strictly confidential
and is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not
the intended recipient please notify
<postmaster(at)palaemon.demon.co.uk>
and the sender by return and permanently delete the message.

You may not disclose, forward or copy this E-mail or any of
its attachments to any third party without the prior consent
of the sender.