Sheffield R/ T

Michael Scott

Hi All and the two Peters in particular

Just a note to say how much I enjoyed the two days, and many thanks to all who were involved in the organisation of the event.

73, Mike, G3LYP

Peter Day <microwaves@...>

MICHAEL SCOTT wrote:
Hi All and the two Peters in particular
Just a note to say how much I enjoyed the two days, and many thanks to all
who were involved in the organisation of the event.

Many thanks Mike.. it was great to meet up with you again and especially nice to see you at the intermediate workshop... you could have taught the rest a thing or two!

Best wishes,

Peter G3PHO

Michael Scott

Hi Peter

I learnt quite a bit at the intermediate workshop. I found Bernie's talk on using LNB's very interesting, and actually bought a couple in the flea market on Sunday. I am in the process of rebuilding my 10GHz rig to incorporate a GPS locked LO and hopefully a solid state PA to replace the old TWT and monster PSU. I gave the TWT to Ted Agar a couple of years ago and was pleased to hear from him that it is now in use on his beacon!

73, Mike

> Just a note to say how much I enjoyed the two days, and many thanks to all
> who were involved in the organisation of the event.

Many thanks Mike.. it was great to meet up with you again and especially nice
to see you at the intermediate workshop... you could have taught the rest a
thing or two!

Best wishes,

Peter G3PHO

Peter Day <microwaves@...>

Hello again Mike..

I'm very pleased to hear that you as a veteran microwaver actually gleaned some info from the workshop! I thought Bernie's talks were most informative and a fine example of what can be done on the homebrew scene without resorting to DB6NT modules and the like :-)

Re TWTs.. I sold my 10GHz one many years ago to someone down in Dorset.. don't know if it ever got used. I also gave a 100W TWT for 10GHz (ex G3KEU) to a certain EME group down south... did they ever put it use (John G0API)??

I'm not fond of high voltages in the shack although I have two HF linears that run on 2.4KV :-)

73

Peter G3PHO

Richard Newstead <g3cwi@...>

--- In ukmicrowaves@..., Peter Day <microwaves@...> wrote:

Re TWTs.. I sold my 10GHz one many years ago to someone down in
Dorset..
don't know if it ever got used.
Sadly I suspect that much useful gear is hoarded in garages and sheds
across the UK and is probably destined for the tip when the owner
passes away. This even applies to DB6NT transverters apparently.
Wives, partners and relations are unlikely to spot that a 24GHz
waveguide switch is of value to someone else (for example).

At least some surplus gear saw the light-of-day at Sheffield!

73

Richard
G3CWI

G3at@...

In a message dated 17/07/2008 22:29:11 GMT Standard Time, microwaves@... writes:
Every microwaver and other type of radio amateur should make an inventory of
his shack and equipment and keep the list up to date with suggested resale
prices
Hear Hear Peter

I have an inventory and photographs, not in the case of my demise, but  for insurance purposes.   I  have also told my  XYL (bless Her - I missed our wedding anniversary this week!) who to contact if I suddenly become unavailable they should be able to recognise what has value and what has not.

On a more positive note I agree - I should be more aggressive regarding the bits and pieces that I am NEVER likely to use and hence would be of use to others - umm job for tomorrow??

73s

Simon

Peter Day <microwaves@...>

Richard Newstead wrote:

Sadly I suspect that much useful gear is hoarded in garages and sheds across the UK and is probably destined for the tip when the owner passes away. This even applies to DB6NT transverters apparently. Wives, partners and relations are unlikely to spot that a 24GHz waveguide switch is of value to someone else (for example).
I know of at least one person within four miles of me that fits that description exactly!

Every microwaver and other type of radio amateur should make an inventory of his shack and equipment and keep the list up to date with suggested resale prices and showing where the manuals, etc are kept. That way the XYL stands a chance of getting some money for what she thinks is junk :-). I've told my good lady that the stuff in the little plastic drawers is probably more valuable than much of the gear on the bench!

She also knows that I will haunt her if she throws my stuff in a skip :-)

Having cleared out the shacks of several of my Silent Key friends over the years, I know only too well what a problem it is for those family members left behind. It behoves us all to whittle our gear down to a minimum once we reach the "twilight zone" like me... however anyone who has been to my QTH knows that I have far too much "junk"... I can't bear to give it away or throw it out:-)

73

Peter G3PHO

David Wrigley <zen130696@...>

Come on Peter,

You know darned well that if you get rid if it , you will have a need for that part the very next week!!

73 David G6GXK (emerging from behind a pile of gear)

Peter Day wrote:

Richard Newstead wrote:

[...]

G4FRE

after talking on this subject with Sam in Orlando I have started a
policy of "if it hasnt been used in the last 2 years it goes out", as
some of you may have seen on ebay usa lately

I Wonder what other useful input I will get from him in Dallas next
weekend!

Dave

ww2r

--- In ukmicrowaves@..., G3at@... wrote:

microwaves@... writes:

On a more positive note I agree - I should be more aggressive
regarding the
bits and pieces that I am NEVER likely to use and hence would be of
use to
others - umm job for tomorrow??

73s

Simon

SAM JEWELL

To be fair some items are given five years.....!
Another good credo is 'when at a rally/flea market, if it doesn't solve an immediate problem, don't buy it.'  You don't need it!
It's amazing how useful and money-saving this last one is.....

Sam

--- In ukmicrowaves@..., G3at@... wrote:

> microwaves@... writes:
>
> On a more positive note I agree - I should be more aggressive
regarding the
> bits and pieces that I am NEVER likely to use and hence would be of
use to
> others - umm job for tomorrow??

> 73s

> Simon

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:ukmicrowaves-digest@...
    mailto:ukmicrowaves-fullfeatured@...

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

G4FRE

that one was started at Dayton 5 years ago, and as you say has saved a
lot of money since; probably enough for my sdr1000!

Dave

Another good credo is 'when at a rally/flea market, if it doesn't
solve an immediate problem, don't buy it.' You don't need it!
It's amazing how useful and money-saving this last one is.....

Sam

SAM JEWELL

Another good one is.
If you see it and you REALLY need it. Buy it now, 'cause it won't be there when you come back!

OK. That's home-spun enough philosophy  from me.

Sam