IO73

Richard Newstead <g3cwi@...>

I notice from the SOTA reflector that someone will be QRV on 1296
from IO73 next weekend.

Saturday 23rd February 2008

11:50 GW4OIG/P on GW/NW-001 - [edit] 432-ssb;1297-fm
Advance notice - TBC. GW4MD/P on 2m SSB (Posted by G4OIG)

14:45 GW4OIG/P on GW/NW-008 - [edit] 432-ssb;1297-fm
Advance notice - TBC. GW4MD/P on 2m SSB (Posted by G4OIG)

73

Richard
G3CWI

Ray <gm4cxm@...>

That would be two "firsts", IO73 and an FM contact on 23cm!
Richard, can you advise if these 23cm Sota operations are using
horizontal polarisation at all?
73 Ray GM4CXM

--- In ukmicrowaves@..., "Richard Newstead" <g3cwi@...>

--- In ukmicrowaves@..., "Ray" <gm4cxm@...> wrote:

Richard, can you advise if these 23cm Sota operations are using
horizontal polarisation at all?
Sadly I have no idea. They frequently don't seem to manage to contact
anyone as far as I'm aware! You could perhaps post a question on the
SOTA reflector?

http://new.sotawatch.org/

73

Richard
G3CWI

mw1fgq <owen.home@...>

That would be two "firsts", IO73 and an FM contact on 23cm!
Richard, can you advise if these 23cm Sota operations are using
horizontal polarisation at all?
73 Ray GM4CXM
Ray
It varies, some of the few 23cm SOTA operators take a small Yagi or
Biquad along and know to orient it horizontally for us but even 100mW
from a hand held on it's side can work better than you might expect,
I've had many 23cm FM SOTA contacts from here because my location is
good for North Wales, the Lakes and Pennines with 6 in the last 2 days
alone (I had to stop writing this to reply to one!), not exactly DX but
activity is activity so it's worth listening if you know that there's
someone trying from a high spot.
John
MW1FGQ

Chris Bartram <yahoo@...>

What frequency do the guys use, John?

Vy 73

Chris
GW4DGU

mw1fgq <owen.home@...>

--- In ukmicrowaves@..., Chris Bartram <yahoo@...> wrote:

What frequency do the guys use, John?

Vy 73

Chris
GW4DGU
Chris
Always 1297.500 in my experience and I've never known them having to
move away because of other activity. The hand held sets may be a few
KHz off frequency but close enough to let you know that something is
about.
Blwyddyn Newydd Dda o'r Gogledd.
John
MW1FGQ

Chris Bartram <yahoo@...>

mw1fgq wrote:

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda o'r Gogledd.
Ac i ti o'r Sir Gar!

Hwyl!

Chris
GW4DGU

Ray <gm4cxm@...>

Thanks John,
Appreciated.
Ray.

g4blh <g4blh@...>

--- In ukmicrowaves@..., "Ray" <gm4cxm@...> wrote:

That would be two "firsts", IO73 and an FM contact on 23cm!
Richard, can you advise if these 23cm Sota operations are using
horizontal polarisation at all?
73 Ray GM4CXM
At 11:28 18/02/2008, you wrote:

Hi Ray,

Gerald OGI normally only has low power on 23cms (mW).
I have sent him an Email asking what he will be using, will
post it on here when I get the reply.

I was on a SOTA summit today using 1w 23cms FM. I usually
take an 18 ele beam with me (but not today). Had 3 contacts
( 2 SOTA summits and John MW1FGQ in North Wales).

Regards, Mike G4BLH

g4blh <g4blh@...>

Hi Ray,

Gerald OGI normally only has low power on 23cms (mW).
I have sent him an Email asking what he will be using, will
post it on here when I get the reply.
With reference to Gerald GW4OIG potential North Wales SOTA
activations this coming weekend, Gerald has Emailed me the following
info.

"At the moment I have been using the beam horizontal, though I will
be making an adaptor plate before the activation so it can be
used vertically polarised. I will be taking a small 3.2m pole with
me and can drop this to change polarisation if needs be. I think
horizontal polarisation will have the best potential for distance
contacts, but realise not everyone has a beam.

The nominal power will be 280mW from the handheld - no power
amplifier as yet and unlikely to get one sorted by the weekend. I
have plans for a Mitsubishi brick to give be 10 watts or more
eventually."

Regards, Mike G4BLH

Ray <gm4cxm@...>

Thanks Mike, much appreciated.
I will endeavor to leave my 4x 44el's beaming IO73 and the rig on
1297.500 FM in the hope of a contact at the weekend.
73 Ray GM4CXM
IO75TW

150w available but will be backed off for FM!

--- In ukmicrowaves@..., "g4blh" <g4blh@...> wrote:

[...]

Dear All

After back-calculating I have moved my 10G activity time on Snowdon
to 10:45 on Sunday. It was not looking practical to get there by
0930. The WX is currently forecast is for light showers. Rain will
stop play for the microwave gear so I will monitor the forecasts and
will post final details here, either on Saturday night or very early
Sunday morning.

I will have sufficient battery power for about 1 hour of operation
and will be with my son.

Dont panic if you miss me. If 10G catches on with the SOTA crowd,
IO73 will quickly become common again.

73

Richard
G3CWI

wysiwyg73uk <postbox@...>

Hi to All following this thread,

I have joined the group and so can now confirm the plans for Snowdon
and Y Lliwedd tomorrow.

The itinerary is for activation on Snowdon at 10:50, though we will
try to be early if possible and work through this time. Initially I
will be using 5 watts of 70cms SSB from a FT-817 to a 6 element DL6WU
fed by 4.7m of 5D-FB coax. The 23cms equipment that I will be using
is a Standard C710 specified as giving 280mW out (though it seems to
give more according to my power meter - the figure may be a
manufacturer's guaranteed minimum figure). I will have a 15 over 15
beam and will use horizontal polarisation and the feeder will be 4m
of LMR400. The frequency will be 1297.500. QSY if necessary 1297.550.

With regards to Y Lliwedd, the activation will depend on the weather.
The route from Snowdon will be via the scree to the Watkin path and
there to the summit, so visibility will be crucial. If the weather is
poor, Plan B is to descend via the Pyg track, drive across to Tal-y-
Fan (SOTA ref NW-040). I hope to give an update during QSO from
Snowdon.

73 and hope to make some decent contacts,

Gerald G4OIG

wysiwyg73uk <postbox@...>

--- In ukmicrowaves@..., "wysiwyg73uk" <postbox@...> wrote:

The itinerary is for activation on Snowdon at 10:50.....
Sorry, a typo on my first post - the time should read 11:50. Maybe too
keen to get there.

73, Gerald

John Fyrth <jmfyrth1@...>

Hi Gerald & all,
                       I will be /p on sunday from IO94OA70, Garrowby Hill, between York & Bridlington, 243 mtrs asl., on 4mtrs, 2mtrs, 23cms, & 3cms, sorry, no 70 cms, but will monitor 1297.5 fm. Beam heading from Snowdon is 65 degrees. Should be qrv from about 9.00 am, monitoring 144.175 ssb.
               73 Mike G0DPS Leeds.

Geoff Blake <geoff@...>

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, wysiwyg73uk wrote:

Hi to All following this thread,

I have joined the group and so can now confirm the plans for Snowdon
and Y Lliwedd tomorrow.
As is typical, I have the mast and aerials down. I may be able to
get 2m and 70cm up tomorrow, 23cm is doubtful.

Mind you, if the wind tomorrow is like today - the ladders just
blew down - all bets are off.

Geoff
--
Geoff Blake G8GNZ located near Chelmsford, Essex, U.K.
Please reply to: geoff(at)palaemon(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk

See <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>

This E-mail and any attachment(s) are strictly confidential
and is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the
intended recipient please notify <postmaster(at)palaemon.co.uk>
and the sender by return and permanently delete the message.

You may not disclose, forward or copy this E-mail or any of its
attachments to any third party without the prior consent of the
sender.

wysiwyg73uk <postbox@...>

--- In ukmicrowaves@..., "John Fyrth" <jmfyrth1@...> wrote:

sorry, no 70 cms, but will monitor 1297.5 fm.
Hi John,

You might find Paul GW4MD/P on 2m - he should be able to QSP a message
to me by semaphor if the mist allows.

73, Gerald

Ray <gm4cxm@...>

Many thanks Geoff...though a check just now at the UK wind map shows
gusts of over 60mph on Snowdon and the Snowdon webcam at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northwest/sites/webcams/pages/snowdon.shtml
shows a dire outlook. Fingers crossed but I wouldn't be surprised if
the conditions led to cancellation unless you SOTA op's are even
tougher than I already thought you were!
73 Ray GM4CXM

[...]

The activation did take place, and the wind was in excess of 60mph
according to Gerald G4OIG. In view of this, Gerald did the 23cms
activation on the handheld only. I know that he worked John MW1FGQ,
Steve GW7AAV/P in North Wales (using a handheld) and myself Mike
G4BLH/P near Longridge Fell (using a handheld to an 18 element
yagi). I gather that conditions were diabolical and that the beam
could not be deployed.

No doubt we will hear from Gerald on his return home. So, they do
breed tough SOTA summiteers HI.

Regards, Mike

wysiwyg73uk <postbox@...>

Hi All,

I was QRV as Mike has said. I started on the handheld with its whip
and worked John, Steve and Mike. Then I did manage to deploy the 15
over 15, but could only raise it a couple of metres in the 60 - 70mph
wind. I called for quite a while towards the north from about 1205z
for Ray and then towards York to see whether Mike was QRV, but
nothing heard. So near to qualifying the summit on 23cms, yet so
far.....

On moving to 70cms SSB, I faired little better. A comment on 2m FM by
Paul operating as GW4MD/P that he would not be using SSB transferred
itself to my 70cms operation, so it was a very surprised G0LGS who
found me there. I made a further 4 contacts on that band.

Only 8 contacts for the log which is rather disappointing, but in the
face of the dire weather conditions understandable. Worst weather I
have ever experienced in all my life! Maybe I am getting foolhardy in
my old age.

Thanks to everyone that made contact and to those that looked for me.

73, Gerald