5.7 and 10GHz Cumulative Contest

mikeg3pfr@...

In a message dated 18/09/2007 19:37:50 GMT Standard Time, microwaves@... writes:
I'll be on if I've worked 3B7C on all the HF bands by then :-)

C'mon Peter, you can do better than that as an excuse! :-(. So what?

Apart from the QRO QRM on the HF bands, it's just too easy. Do it on the microwave bands (eme?) and I'd admire your dedication and fortitude....

BTW, I'm missing the Jan (2007) issue of Scatterpoint (corrupted, somehow). Would appreciate a "re-post"!

88 to your Good Lady

Regards, Mike, G3PFR

Peter Day <microwaves@...>

Hi folks,

Dont forget this weekend's contest, the last of the summer cumulatives...

I'll be on if I've worked 3B7C on all the HF bands by then :-)

73

Peter, G3PHO

Peter Day <microwaves@...>

Hi Mike...

On 18 Sep 2007, at 19:46, mikeg3pfr@aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 18/09/2007 19:37:50 GMT Standard Time, microwaves@blueyonder.co.uk writes:
I'll be on if I've worked 3B7C on all the HF bands by then :-)

C'mon Peter, you can do better than that as an excuse! :-(. So what?
No I'm serious! It's much much harder than you think to work a station in the Indian Ocean on all bands 160 to 10 metres on ssb, cw and datamodes ... I can work France much easier than that on 10GHz :-)
I've been having a load of fun on HF for some months now. You'd be surprised how many well known microwavers are doing the same thing.

Apart from the QRO QRM on the HF bands, it's just too easy. Do it on the microwave bands (eme?) and I'd admire your dedication and fortitude....
You need QRO to beat QRO QRM... remember than linear you picked up for me ? :-)

BTW, I'm missing the Jan (2007) issue of Scatterpoint (corrupted, somehow). Would appreciate a "re-post"!
will send it right away, attached to another email

88 to your Good Lady
She's out at th e moemtn but wikll QSP .. and of course we reciprocate to The Lady of Woodstock!

Best wishes,

Peter, G3PHO

mikeg3pfr@...

In a message dated 18/09/2007 21:48:23 GMT Standard Time, microwaves@... writes:
I'll be on if I've worked 3B7C on all the HF bands by then :-)

> C'mon Peter, you can do better than that as an excuse! :-(. So what?

No I'm serious! It's much much harder than you think to work a
station in the Indian Ocean on all bands 160 to 10 metres on ssb, cw
and datamodes ... I can work France much easier than that on 10GHz :-)
I've been having a load of fun on HF for some months now. You'd be
surprised how many well known microwavers are doing the same thing.

> Apart from the QRO QRM on the HF bands, it's just too easy. Do it
> on the microwave bands (eme?) and I'd admire your dedication and
> fortitude....

You need QRO to beat QRO QRM... remember than linear you picked up
for me ? :-)

> BTW, I'm missing the Jan (2007) issue of Scatterpoint (corrupted,
> somehow). Would appreciate a "re-post"!

will send it right away, attached to another email

> 88 to your Good Lady

She's out at th e moemtn but wikll QSP .. and of course we
reciprocate to The Lady of Woodstock!

Best wishes,
It was tongue in cheek, of course! Yes. it's rather sad that so many of our uW colleagues are spending time on the bands below 1G3! I remember well the linear. I just don't have any inclination to run QRO on any band, and I really don't like "hello, ur 599, pse QSL, goodbye" type of QSOs.....or for that matter the "handle this way is"...!!

'nuf gripes and as our French colleagues would say "chaque-un a son gout"

T' missus is out at her art class this morning, so I'm taking the opportunity to catch up on the emails!

73/88, M

Peter Day <microwaves@...>

mikeg3pfr@aol.com wrote:
I just don't have any inclination to run QRO on any
band, and I really don't like "hello, ur 599, pse QSL, goodbye" type of QSOs.....or for that matter the "handle this way is"...!!
It's not much different to swapping 59005 Io93EH in uW contests or R56 R56 on MS or even OOO 73 CUL on eme :-). I do have some excellent ragchew QSOs on HF... had 40 minutes with VU2PAI in India last week... an excellent and informative chat. I also find HF is the only area where I can use CW at a decent speed ( 25-30wpm). Many of our uW colleagues can't send at that speed and lots can't use the mode at all. They dont know what they are missing as it's, IMHO, THE way to do weak signal DX.
'nuf gripes and as our French colleagues would say "chaque-un a son gout"
Absolument mon cher :-)

Peter, G3PHO

mikeg3pfr@...

In a message dated 19/09/2007 16:37:55 GMT Standard Time, microwaves@... writes:
It's not much different to swapping 59005 Io93EH in uW contests or R56
R56 on MS or even OOO 73 CUL on eme :-). I do have some excellent
ragchew QSOs on HF... had 40 minutes with VU2PAI in India last week...
an excellent and informative chat. I also find HF is the only area
where I can use CW at a decent speed ( 25-30wpm). Many of our uW
colleagues can't send at that speed and lots can't use the mode at
all. They dont know what they are missing as it's, IMHO, THE way to do
weak signal DX.

> 'nuf gripes and as our French colleagues would say "chaque-un a son gout"

Absolument mon cher :-)

Agreed, except that uW contests (or Activity Periods - whatever you want to call them!) do take a bit more effort than sitting at home in the "armchair" - as you well know! Having said that, I know what the ravages of time do to one's inclination and, indeed, ability to go onto some high, windy and cold mountain top....so yes, I can sympathise!

Agreed also about CW, although I must admit to not being a great fan of the mode - too cumbersome c/f other modes. I regret not improving my CW skills, but then senility made an early onset! It is, of course the way to weak signal working, although I had a very instructive evening, this evening, setting up a 10G NB rx and Spectran (at the local club) and taking GB3XGH (over a very locally obstructed path) with troposcatter and aircraft scatter for about three hours.... that I really enjoyed! Now that is the ultimate in weak signal reception....

It's a good thing that we have such diversity of skills and the freedom of the amateur licence to follow our individual inclinations. One of these days I'll get some antennas up and go "all band" again!

Regards, 73/88 to J - M