GPRS -

Talbot Andrew <actalbot@...>

As one who would still prefer to be using DOS rather than this new Window
thingy on computers........ :-(

Could someone put together a simple step-by-step guide on how to get GPRS
going so any cheap and ancient laptop can connect to the internet from a
hilltop.

Something along the lines of:

Buy such-and-such GPRS card
Buy Vodafone SIM
Plug into laptop
Install software
Tear hair out
Log onto 'KST
Liaise with the world

Its difficult enough changing a modem/dial up connection with micro-soggy
software, and I haven't even dared to try getting into the WLAN Inet route
we set up for contests.

Andy G4JNT

"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not the
intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,
or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error has
misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."

"Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems is
subject to monitoring and auditing."

Brian Flynn GM8BJF

Talbot Andrew wrote:
[...]

I am going through the process at the moment trying to do it reasonably on the cheap. I have aquired a Vodafone mobile connect card on Ebay with I hope will do the job. I will attempt to keep notes of what I do and write it up. (may take some time depending how annoyed I get at the wonderful MS operating system ;-) )

Yhe thinking is that from this range a bit of liaison would be useful.

73s

Brian.
GM8BJF

--
Dr Brian W Flynn
15 Riselaw Crescent

Email brian.flynn@tiscali.co.uk

Phone (44) 0131 447 4043

gm4plm <simon@...>

Andy,

I am not sure if your comment is meant tongue in cheek or actually
serious........ "new windows thingy" ????

Actually to be honest I can set up a datacard in 10 minutes on an XP
machine and I can only do that because the technology has been
designed to be plug n play and the dashboard has been designed to do
so.

I cannot even consider how difficult setting up a GPRS card on a DOS
(cough splutter - DOSwhatttttt?) - can you guess why companies that
provide this HW dont supply DOS programs instead of windows packages!

As for WLAN setting - I am not going to comment further as I assume
your looking for a "bite" !!!!!!

Mutter mutter.........!

Would it be beneficial for me to do a small talk at MMRT about
3G/GPRS cards and technology and setting up a connection???

rgds

Simon DL4PLM

--- In ukmicrowaves@yahoogroups.com, Talbot Andrew <actalbot@m...>
wrote:
[...]

DF6NA Rainer

Hi Simon,

if you provide the UMTS cards (for free!) that's a great idea.

73, Rainer

Yahoo! Groups Links

--
EME Conference 2006 in Wrzburg, Germany:
http://www.eme2006.com/

VHF/UHF/SHF Online Toplist:
http://www.vhf-dx.net/top.html

DF6NA Homepage:
http://www.df6na.de/

Amateurfunk-Flohmarkt:
http://www.afu-flohmarkt.de/

VHF-DX.net:
http://www.vhf-dx.net/

Talbot Andrew <actalbot@...>

Yes, it mostly was, and yes, probably it would be.

"plug-n-play"...  do all the frustrated users of Wondoze really believe that?

BTW!  My 486 running real DOS 5.1 boots up in 21 seconds, runs an excelent circuit diagram drawing package (Orcad 2.1), a perfectly adequate PCB designer for anything I've ever needed to build (EasyPCProX), circuit simulation (AnalyserPro), height and site database which particularly benefits from the 21 second startup.  Also an excelent and fast (albeit 16 bit) programming language which is adequate enough for much real time DSP when using a separate hardware interface (a 56002EVm of which I have three, so can't be bothered with a soundcard).  It will interface to a laser printer perfectly which is more than Win-98 managed, is electrically much quieter and runs cooler.

Seems rather ironic then, that for internet browsing, I have to switch on the other machine, wait 1.2 minutes, type in a password, then wait another 1.7 minutes before even being able to get at any software.  I do have wondoze versions of many of the above packages, and in most aspects cases THEY ARE ALL MORE UNFRIENDLY than the DOS versions.

--- In ukmicrowaves@..., Talbot Andrew
wrote:
> As one who would still prefer to be using DOS rather than this new
Window
> thingy on computers........ :-(
>
> Could someone put together a simple step-by-step guide on how to
get GPRS
> going so any cheap and ancient laptop can connect to the internet
from a
> hilltop.
>
> Something along the lines of:
>
>       Buy such-and-such GPRS card
>       Buy Vodafone SIM
>       Plug into laptop
>       Install software
>       Tear hair out
>       Log onto 'KST
>       Liaise with the world
>
> Its difficult enough changing a modem/dial up connection with
micro-soggy
> software, and I haven't even dared to try getting into the WLAN
Inet route
> we set up for contests.
>
> Andy  G4JNT
>
> "This e-mail is intended for the recipient only.  If you are not
the
> intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy,
print,
> or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error
has
> misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to
this e-mail."

> "Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems is
> subject to monitoring and auditing."

"The Information contained in this E-Mail and any subsequent correspondence"
"is private and is intended solely for the intended recipient(s)."
"For those other than the recipient any disclosure, copying, distribution, "
"or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on such information is"
"prohibited and may be unlawful."

DF6NA Rainer

Hi Andy,

'Plug 'n Play' was a misunderstanding from english/china. You know they can't speak
the letter 'r'. So it must read 'Plug 'n pray' !

73, Rainer

wrote:
> As one who would still prefer to be using DOS rather than this new
Window
> thingy on computers........ :-(
>
> Could someone put together a simple step-by-step guide on how to
get GPRS
> going so any cheap and ancient laptop can connect to the internet
from a
> hilltop.
>
> Something along the lines of:
>
> Buy such-and-such GPRS card
> Buy Vodafone SIM
> Plug into laptop
> Install software
> Tear hair out
> Log onto 'KST
> Liaise with the world
>
> Its difficult enough changing a modem/dial up connection with
micro-soggy
> software, and I haven't even dared to try getting into the WLAN
Inet route
> we set up for contests.
>
> Andy G4JNT
>
> "This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not
the
> intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy,
print,
> or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error
has
> misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to
this e-mail."

> "Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems is
> subject to monitoring and auditing."

"The Information contained in this E-Mail and any subsequent
correspondence"
"is private and is intended solely for the intended recipient(s)."
"For those other than the recipient any disclosure, copying,
distribution, "
"or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on such
information is"
"prohibited and may be unlawful."

EME Conference 2006 in Wrzburg, Germany:
http://www.eme2006.com/

VHF/UHF/SHF Online Toplist:
http://www.vhf-dx.net/top.html

DF6NA Homepage:
http://www.df6na.de/

Amateurfunk-Flohmarkt:
http://www.afu-flohmarkt.de/

VHF-DX.net:
http://www.vhf-dx.net/

gm4plm <simon@...>

There will be a pile of them cheap on ebay the rate we are turning
out new ones!!!!!

sorry if I could get them I would be handing them out!

73 Simon

wrote:

[...]

EME Conference 2006 in Würzburg, Germany:
http://www.eme2006.com/

VHF/UHF/SHF Online Toplist:
http://www.vhf-dx.net/top.html

DF6NA Homepage:
http://www.df6na.de/

Amateurfunk-Flohmarkt:
http://www.afu-flohmarkt.de/

VHF-DX.net:
http://www.vhf-dx.net/

gm4plm <simon@...>

Andy,

you probably think spark transmitters are pretty neat too!

I wont enter too far in responding as as it seems that we are worlds
apart, I can be pleased your not my internal customer! - needless to
say my modern standard Dell notebook boots in 20 secs and interfaces
pretty seamlessly with everything I need, and if you have the right
spec machine it should be this fast!

enjoy your museum piece but for me I was happy to see the back of
DOS in 1990 when I moved to W3.1 - hardly new being 15 years ago!

Bill and M$ may not do everything right but you can't deny what he
had done in the evolution of the PC!

rgds

Simon

wrote:
[...]

_____

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

* Visit your group " ukmicrowaves
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ukmicrowaves> " on the web.

subject=Unsubscribe>

Service
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

_____

Peter Day <peter@...>

gm4plm wrote:

Would it be beneficial for me to do a small talk at MMRT about 3G/GPRS cards and technology and setting up a connection???
rgds
Simon DL4PLM

We are already oversubscribed with offers of talks, Simon... after struggling to fill the programme I've had a rush of offers in the last few days, all just too late as I've now filled in all available time slots... 3 talks on Saturday afternoon and 4 on Sunday (plus UKuG AGM, etc) and a live demo of the MarsRO reception on 8.4GHz!

Thanks everyone... . looks like Martleshamn 2005 is going to be a great weekend.

Anyone reading this who hasnt registered and booked the hotel should do so ... pronto!

73

Peter, G3PHO

Peter Day <peter@...>

gm4plm wrote:
Andy,
I am not sure if your comment is meant tongue in cheek or actually serious........ "new windows thingy" ????
There's nowt wrong with DOS!

Peter Day <peter@...>

Talbot Andrew wrote:

Seems rather ironic then, that for internet browsing, I have to switch on the other machine, wait 1.2 minutes, type in a password, then wait another 1.7 minutes before even being able to get at any software. I do have wondoze versions of many of the above packages, and in most aspects cases THEY ARE ALL MORE UNFRIENDLY than the DOS versions.
Andy

Have you tried Linux Andy?

Peter, g3PHO

Murray Niman <mjniman@...>

- and I have a lightning fast legacy copy of Touchstone 1.7
on MSDOS 6.22 on a spare pentium

Murray :-)

Plug & Play - or should it be Plug and Pray

wrote:
[...]

Uffe Lindhardt <uffe.noucha@...>

Boots ?

My Dell notebook takes less than 2 seconds to leave standby, after
which about 10 applications on two different screens are all up and
running.......

73 Uffe PA5DD

wrote:
[...]

Christophe Huygens <christophe.huygens@...>

Hello Uffe,
you must run either have a *nix system running
or be lucky you have 1 of the few windoze systems
where this actually works without blowing up in yr face.

Enough said, back to radio!

Xtof 4iy

wrote:
[...]

Hobby and craft supply <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w2=Craft+hobby&w3=Hobbies+and+crafts&w4=Ham+radio&c=4&s=84&.sig=Sz5ebNg-ZsVyHTzaR4PnAg> Craft hobby <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w2=Craft+hobby&w3=Hobbies+and+crafts&w4=Ham+radio&c=4&s=84&.sig=_8V4kQCK4PEN_MzUUBx-hQ> Hobbies and crafts <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobbies+and+crafts&w1=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w2=Craft+hobby&w3=Hobbies+and+crafts&w4=Ham+radio&c=4&s=84&.sig=J-__6L1W_lZQ58dekNdHLA>

Talbot Andrew <actalbot@...>

 They are pretty neat - provided they're properly filtered and waveform shaped, and the spark PRF is GPS locked :-)

And, Murray, I'd forgotton the first Touchstone - we got one of the first 386 machines at work, supplied with that software pre-installed on the H/D and couldn't be pirated.  Wonder if the later versions run any faster on 3GHz Pentia while being strangled with the OS.

Lets stop this thread before others complain!

wrote:
> Yes, it mostly was, and yes, probably it would be.

> "plug-n-play"...  do all the frustrated users of Wondoze really
believe
> that?

> BTW!  My 486 running real DOS 5.1 boots up in 21 seconds, runs an
excelent
> circuit diagram drawing package (Orcad 2.1), a perfectly adequate
PCB
> designer for anything I've ever needed to build (EasyPCProX),
circuit
> simulation (AnalyserPro), height and site database which
particularly
> benefits from the 21 second startup.  Also an excelent and fast
(albeit 16
> bit) programming language which is adequate enough for much real
time DSP
> when using a separate hardware interface (a 56002EVm of which I
have three,
> so can't be bothered with a soundcard).  It will interface to a
laser
> printer perfectly which is more than Win-98 managed, is
electrically much
> quieter and runs cooler.

> Seems rather ironic then, that for internet browsing, I have to
switch on
> the other machine, wait 1.2 minutes, type in a password, then wait
another
> 1.7 minutes before even being able to get at any software.  I do
have
> wondoze versions of many of the above packages, and in most
aspects cases
> THEY ARE ALL MORE UNFRIENDLY than the DOS versions.

> Andy

mikeg3pfr@...

In a message dated 06/10/2005 22:34:38 GMT Daylight Time, geoff@... writes:
Exactly how much this has to do with ukmicrowaves I am not sure......
But it might well express the frustration many of us feel with Uncle Bill's "bloatware", which gets bigger and bigger and more and more expensive and demanding of the hardware.

Although using Windoze at the moment, I have a great deal of admiration for the abilities (and even the obscurities) of DOS running on much slower machines than this one. With a little care, thought and decent sofware concepts, it was even possible to make a BBC-B (with 64k of memory) sing songs!

Dormer bien!

73, Mike, G3PFR

Geoff Blake <geoff@...>

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, Peter Day wrote:

gm4plm wrote:
Andy,

I am not sure if your comment is meant tongue in cheek or actually
serious........ "new windows thingy" ????
There's nowt wrong with DOS!
Well I don't quite agree with that, but there is a lot more wrong with
winders.

We have a networked DOS app at the day job, it runs much faster on a
486-25 than in a dos window on either a PIII 866MHz box or a P4 1.6GHz
box.

Look at my sig - most things run as fast and are a lot more stable on a
Sun Ultra60 with two 300MHz processors than on my 1.9GHz AMD Windows box.

Geoff
--
Geoff Blake Please reply to: Using Linux on
Chelmsford geoff (a) palaemon . co . uk Intel & NetBSD

This E-mail and any attachment(s) are strictly confidential
and is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the
intended recipient please notify <postmaster(at)palaemon.co.uk>
and the sender by return and permanently delete the message.

You may not disclose, forward or copy this E-mail or any of its
attachments to any third party without the prior consent of the
sender.

usuallyqrt@...

On 6 Oct 2005 at 21:04, Geoff Blake wrote:

Look at my sig - most things run as fast and are a lot more stable on a
Sun Ultra60 with two 300MHz processors than on my 1.9GHz AMD Windows box.

Having looked at the new dual processors recently I gained the impression they are only of value for
software written for dual processors. Likewise 64 bit processors are only of value for software written for
64 bit. The software in both instances being in abundance not. Perhaps those who know about such
advances can enlighten us as to the value ?

73s John.

Geoff Blake <geoff@...>

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 usuallyqrt@dsl.pipex.com wrote:

On 6 Oct 2005 at 21:04, Geoff Blake wrote:

Look at my sig - most things run as fast and are a lot more stable on a
Sun Ultra60 with two 300MHz processors than on my 1.9GHz AMD Windows box.

Having looked at the new dual processors recently I gained the
impression they are only of value for software written for dual
processors. Likewise 64 bit processors are only of value for software
written for 64 bit. The software in both instances being in abundance
not. Perhaps those who know about such advances can enlighten us as to
the value ?
I am not an expert on these things, but for what it's worth:

64 bit processors themselves handle 32 - or 16 or even 8 bit software
quite happily - rather in the same way Chelsea Tractors are ideal for the
school run.

Using my dual 64 bit processor UltraSparc, I understand that whilst one
processor is updating the X display, the other processor could be
producing the data that will be displayed - or writing to the disk - or
doing something else.

Whereas many windows programs are monolithic, a large proportion of UNIX
style programmes consist of a number of smaller independant programmes
working together to create the whole.

I am using the University of Washington (written) programme "pine" to
compose this email, the editor that actually is producing the text is
"nano", which is an entirely seperate entity.

It is a little like comparing a typical 10GHz T/Rx with a modern all
singing HF tranceiver.

Exactly how much this has to do with ukmicrowaves I am not sure......

Geoff
--
Geoff Blake Please reply to: Using Linux on
Chelmsford geoff (a) palaemon . co . uk Intel & NetBSD
Essex UK g8gnz on Sun Sparc

This E-mail and any attachment(s) are strictly confidential
and is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the
intended recipient please notify <postmaster(at)palaemon.co.uk>
and the sender by return and permanently delete the message.

You may not disclose, forward or copy this E-mail or any of its
attachments to any third party without the prior consent of the
sender.

Steve - WB0DBS

John, I believe you are correct concerning dual processors. If the
software isn't written to take advantage of dual processors, it will
trundle along quite happily using the main processor alone and not
give the user the speed increase they thought they would get. Some
software written for a parallel processing environment will refuse to
run if there's only a single processor present.
Case in point for the first instance - some years ago the Boeing
division here in Wichita, rather than purchase processor time on a
Cray somewhere, purchased an IPSC-2, an Intel Parallel Super
Computer. One of Intel's favorite demo's was having the thing
calculate pi to 128 decimal places in a nanosecond, or some such
nonsense. It had 64 parallel processors and, without nitrogen
cooling, was as fast as the smaller Crays of the day. After spending
a fortune on the hardware, they opted NOT to spend money on
Intel's "How to program your parallel processor machine" training
courses. They turned the programmers loose on it and were apalled at
the poor results. After spending a load of money having Intel send in
a team to troubleshoot the system after remote diags said it was OK,
they were told the problem was the Boeing programmers not programming
for a parallel processor environment. They went through three more
iterations of the same scenario, then decided they had spent their
money foolishly, bought processor time at some university, and sent
the IPSC-2 to the scrap heap. I wombled the power supplies, and later
got the controller pc from their surplus store and used it for quite
some time as my home computer. As it was a government contract, it
was tax dollars that paid for this debacle. Another reason our
military budget is so obscene...

73,
Steve

--- In ukmicrowaves@yahoogroups.com, usuallyqrt@d... wrote:
On 6 Oct 2005 at 21:04, Geoff Blake wrote:

Look at my sig - most things run as fast and are a lot more
stable on a
Sun Ultra60 with two 300MHz processors than on my 1.9GHz AMD
Windows box.

Having looked at the new dual processors recently I gained the
impression they are only of value for
software written for dual processors. Likewise 64 bit processors
are only of value for software written for
64 bit. The software in both instances being in abundance not.
Perhaps those who know about such
advances can enlighten us as to the value ?

73s John.

05/10/2005