13cm filter

G0FCU

I built a pipe cap filter for 13cm but it has an insertion loss of 12dB when measured. Possibly this is down to my lack of sub-mm accuracy in construction. Does anyone have suggestions for a design that is reproducible, ideally that I could build before Sunday. I couldn't find pipe caps locally so bought from eBay but stupidly only bought one.

Thanks
Simon
G0FCU.

David Redman

If you have plotted the response it's probably very tight i.e. Narrow, hence the  high insertion loss, which means if you have built it correctly the 2 probes are too short.
Search on the Internet for Paul Wades W1GHz info on the correct size end caps for 13cms and higher bands and the effect of probe length v insertion loss and filter response.

Be aware of American end cap dimensions v UK / EU, they are different but manageable.

With your insertion loss on 13cm  I suspect your probes are short by 2 to 3mm and maybe your tune screw is very well inserted into the cavity.

I have made pipecap filters for 9 and 6cm and always use 2.5 or 3mm copper for the base plate with SMA connectors screwed into tapped hokes in the base plate. This way if the probe is too long you can adjust etc

Make sure your soldering of all parts is good and ensure your measurement method is as consistent as possible.

Just my thoughts

Dave
G4IDR

On Fri, 6 May 2022, 18:35 G0FCU, <simon@...> wrote:
I built a pipe cap filter for 13cm but it has an insertion loss of 12dB when measured. Possibly this is down to my lack of sub-mm accuracy in construction. Does anyone have suggestions for a design that is reproducible, ideally that I could build before Sunday. I couldn't find pipe caps locally so bought from eBay but stupidly only bought one.

Thanks
Simon
G0FCU.

militaryoperator

I built a pipe cap filter for 13cm but it has an insertion loss of 12dB when measured. Possibly this is down to my lack of sub-mm accuracy in construction. Does anyone have suggestions for a design that is reproducible, ideally that I could build before Sunday. I couldn't find pipe caps locally so bought from eBay but stupidly only bought one.

Thanks
Simon
G0FCU.

I built one of these with basic tools Simon and it seemed to work ok, cured my interference on 9Cms. Cant'state its loss/swr etc but it seemed to work.

Ben G4BXD

2.jpg
1.jpg

Stefan

Hi Simon and the group

From all my personal experience Pipecap filters are unfortunately a bit lossy specially when you want them narrow band.

I have build many and have stepped away from copper cap filters due being too lossy and also they are poor in stopband rejection,
while they are great in multiplier chains, they in general are unsuitable for input filtering.

But dont let that deter you they are fun to learn and simple to use for any lab setups, most plumbing supply stores should be able to help with spare caps.

Stefan VK4CSD

I built a pipe cap filter for 13cm but it has an insertion loss of 12dB when measured. Possibly this is down to my lack of sub-mm accuracy in construction. Does anyone have suggestions for a design that is reproducible, ideally that I could build before Sunday. I couldn't find pipe caps locally so bought from eBay but stupidly only bought one.

Thanks
Simon
G0FCU.

G0FCU

Hi Dave, Ben and Stefan,

Thanks for the inputs, I've just re-read Paul's paper but now have a much better understanding. I'll try lengthening the probes by a few mm tomorrow.

I've searched for pipe caps on the Screwfix website (and they sell everything for tradesmen) but can't find any or at least any of the needed size hence resorting to eBay.

73 Simon
G0FCU.

On Fri, 6 May 2022, 22:38 Stefan, <comlab@...> wrote:
Hi Simon and the group

From all my personal experience Pipecap filters are unfortunately a bit lossy specially when you want them narrow band.

[...]

Alan Melia

Try search ''end feed pipefittings'' (pg 473 in my paper cat)  part# for 15mm 90441   ''flowmasta''

Alan
G3NY

I built a pipe cap filter for 13cm but it has an insertion loss of 12dB when measured. Possibly this is down to my lack of sub-mm accuracy in construction. Does anyone have suggestions for a design that is reproducible, ideally that I could build before Sunday. I couldn't find pipe caps locally so bought from eBay but stupidly only bought one.

Thanks
Simon
G0FCU.

Stefan

here in AU they are sold as 40mm or 1-1/2 inch copper end cap , I checked screwfix too and they dont stock it.
Maybe in the UK they dont used that size copper pipe