10GHz Feedhorn 60cm offset dish, looking for

Maarten PA0MHE

In my effort building up a terrestrial 10GHz station I'm looking for an X-Band feedhorn for an 60cm offset dish (~44degree -3dB width). This preferable but not necessarily with an N-connector.
Has anyone laying a spare around gathering only dust ?

73's Maarten PA0MHE

Steve G4HTZ

IOJJX do them for €90 ....but sma connection

https://www.i0jxx.com/gb/home/217-feed3off.html

--
Steve G4HTZ
JO01JN60

also known to be active occasionally on 70cms DATV

Mike Willis

You can make one fairly easily out of plumbing fittings, but if you are one of those who has to buy and nobody has a spare the usual suspects can provide. RFHAM, Procom. Passion Radio...
--
Mike G0MJW

Maarten PA0MHE

Hi Mike,

Nothing against home plumbing :) As long a the expected result is good, I saw versions but for that you need a lathe.
Can you please advice a design for such a ~~44degree ?

73's Maarten

Mike Willis

The third hit in google for 10 ghz dish feed is this: http://www.g3pho.free-online.co.uk/microwaves/horn.htm

--
Mike G0MJW

John Quarmby

If you want a coax fed version of the G3PHO feed then you could try P111/112 of this pdf from UKuG Backscatter:

https://www.microwavers.org/files/backscatter/3_Antennas.pdf

I have been using this feed design for 20+ years with good results.

73

John G3XDY

On 09/03/2021 16:58, Mike Willis wrote:
The third hit in google for 10 ghz dish feed is this: http://www.g3pho.free-online.co.uk/microwaves/horn.htm

--
Mike G0MJW

Colin Ranson

Hi John, I must be on your wavelength !  I will soon be constructing same with 22mm tube but with ‘horn’ as pictured. Forget its type.  Its 75mm across the mouth. Any ‘rough’ idea as to gain on its own? Hoping this will work ok with a 60cm (Zone 2) elliptical dish.

Regards  & 73’s  de G8LBS

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

If you want a coax fed version of the G3PHO feed then you could try P111/112 of this pdf from UKuG Backscatter:

https://www.microwavers.org/files/backscatter/3_Antennas.pdf

I have been using this feed design for 20+ years with good results.

73

John G3XDY

On 09/03/2021 16:58, Mike Willis wrote:

The third hit in google for 10 ghz dish feed is this: http://www.g3pho.free-online.co.uk/microwaves/horn.htm

--
Mike G0MJW

I'm making some lensed dielspike horns with a collar to fit a 40mm feedhorn clamp on an offset dish, they have an aluminium body with an SMA connector and a truncated conical Rexolite 1422 lens similar to the ones designed by HB9PZK for QO-100.  The cone angle is calculated to give a 12dB edge taper on a typical 80cm offset dish

They are sealed units and designed to be left out in the rain. I haven't tried doing them with an N connector mainly on cost grounds, but it should be feasible to use an N connector with a reduced SMA base in exactly the same unit, so long as it has a 4.06 mm PTFE sleeve.  You could probably modify any SMA-equipped transition to use one of these N types (perhaps from someone cheaper than H&S!)

This horn is aimed at folks who are building the F6BVA transverter and don't want to use waveguide.  I haven't announced it yet as I'm still optimising the tapers and pin position. Target price is under £30.

Neil G4DBN

Something like this:

with the lenses being similar to those HB9PZKs I made last year

or perhaps just with a long rear taper like these I made:

On 09/03/2021 15:28, Mike Willis wrote:
You can make one fairly easily out of plumbing fittings, but if you are one of those who has to buy and nobody has a spare the usual suspects can provide. RFHAM, Procom. Passion Radio...

Colin Ranson

Looks nice Neil – yo a star !  as my brummy missus would say.  I don’t think I can get away with anything bigger than a Zone 2 elliptical – my house is stating to look like the Mothership in Battlestar Galactica !

73’s    Colin.

[...]

Neil Smith G4DBN

Motivations were:

1) I have a load of Rexolite 1422 that I need to use up

2) Inherently waterproof and spider-resistant.

3) Small enough to fit alongside a similar model on 5.7 GHz with 2 degrees of dish nod to swap bands

It isn't going to be any better than a well-designed W2IMU or Pickett-Potter or corrugated-choke horn in terms of sidelobe suppression, but it is reasonably easy to control sidelobes and set a decent edge taper.

I'll make half a dozen and see how they look on a rotary mount, and then see what sort of sun noise I get when compared with a known horn.

Neil

On 09/03/2021 20:53, Colin Ranson wrote:

[...]

Tim, VK2XAX

And... if you want 24GHz as well, you might ask W1GHZ about the availability of his horns.

http://w1ghz.org/

http://w1ghz.org/new/LPF10.pdf

regards

Tim

--
VK2XAX : QF56if : ITU59 : CQ30 : BMARC : WIA