Date   
Re: Wanted | Bird 43 13cm element

malcolm johnson
 

works ok here Dave

73

Malc



From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io> on behalf of Timestep <help@...>
Sent: 18 June 2019 10:32
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Wanted | Bird 43 13cm element
 

Google is your friend:
 
If only, the search is faulty !
 
Dave  G4IUG  Ex G8EAO

Another RAL question re 800MHz filters

Paul M0EYT
 

Hi all, someone at RAL was selling these filters, centered on 800MHz. If they are reading please can they ping me pjm@... - I am hopeful they have more!

thanks and regards,

Paul M0EYT.

Re: Wanted | Bird 43 13cm element

Timestep
 

works ok here Dave

And takes you to ??

Dave

Re: Wanted | Bird 43 13cm element

malcolm johnson
 


From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io> on behalf of Timestep <help@...>
Sent: 18 June 2019 10:38
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Wanted | Bird 43 13cm element
 
works ok here Dave

And takes you to ??

Dave

Wanted Bird 43 433-37 element

Timestep
 


Wanted Bird 43 433-37 element
 
Thanks
 
Dave G4IUG  Ex G8EAO

Re: Another RAL question re 800MHz filters

PAUL NICKALLS
 

Hi Paul,

I think it was the Cambridge group who had them.  They were used on some Gigawave Downconverter.  I think these were part of an OB television system.  They used to have quite a number of these downconverters.  Mine has a different part number - 0612CFLT. 800Mhz.

I have quite a number of tuneable filters around this frequency.  Let me know exactly what you need.

73
Paul G8AQA

On 18/06/2019 11:38, Paul M0EYT wrote:
Hi all, someone at RAL was selling these filters, centered on 800MHz. If they are reading please can they ping me pjm@... - I am hopeful they have more!

thanks and regards,

Paul M0EYT.



Virus-free. www.avg.com

Re: Activity List for the UK Microwave Group mm-wave contests - Sunday 23rd June 0900-1700z

Rob, M0DTS
 

I may go /P at IO94MJ with 24G. Any takers within range?

Still looking for my first dx 2-way qso on 24G.

Rob
M0DTS 


On Mon, 17 Jun 2019, 15:55 John Quarmby via Groups.Io, <g3xdy=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Next Sunday sees the UKuG's major mm-wave event of the year, covering
all bands from 24GHz to 248GHz. I know that maps were being carefully
consulted at the RAL round table yesterday to plot possible paths, so I
hope there will be some good distances worked on all bands.

The rules are here:

https://www.microwavers.org/files/2019-mwrules.pdf

As usual I will assemble an activity list and post it here, Please send
details of your plans by close of play on Friday this week and I will
consolidate them and send out the list on Saturday. Please note that the
exchange for these events asks for 8 character locator information to be
exchanged and logged.

73

John G3XDY

UKuG Contest Manager





Re: Activity List for the UK Microwave Group mm-wave contests - Sunday 23rd June 0900-1700z

G4LDR
 

Hello John,

Weather permitting I will be QRV on the 24, 47 and 76GHz bands. As agreed with others at RAL I'll probably be operating in an area including Salisbury Plain and north west Hampshire hoping to work those concentrating on the higher bands if they get time to come onto the bands that I operate on!

Equipment: 24GHz 45cm dish, 1W; 47GHz 45cm dish, 250mW, 76GHz, 20cm horn, 15mW.

I plan to be QRV throughout the contest period.

73 Neil G4LDR.

Re: Activity List for the UK Microwave Group mm-wave contests - Sunday 23rd June 0900-1700z

John-G8ACE
 

John G8ACE

If its not raining I shall be hanging out of the loft window from the Winchester QTH to initially operate fixed station on 122, 134 and 241 GHz. Then later poor table from Cheesefoot Head when I will also have 76GHz for dish alignments.
The current predication is for moderately high humidity on Sunday adding a mere 30db path loss to quite a short path on 241 GHz so making contacts could get quite lengthy and difficult hence not trying to operate on all six bands.

73 John G8ACE

Re: Activity List for the UK Microwave Group mm-wave contests - Sunday 23rd June 0900-1700z

Roger Ray
 

Activity will be in the Winchester area in the morning on the higher bands. Later in the afternoon, 47 & 76 from a suitable high spot, tbd. 24G is doubtful due to lack of room.
(24G 3W 30cm dish),
47G 50mW 30cm offset dish
76G 50mW 30cm dish
122G 12mW 30cm dish
134G 300uW 150mm horn, 30cm dish rx
241G 120uW 150mm horn, 30cm dish rx

Roger
G8CUB

On 18 Jun 2019, at 15:11, g8aceukmg@... wrote:

John G8ACE

If its not raining I shall be hanging out of the loft window from the Winchester QTH to initially operate fixed station on 122, 134 and 241 GHz. Then later poor table from Cheesefoot Head when I will also have 76GHz for dish alignments.
The current predication is for moderately high humidity on Sunday adding a mere 30db path loss to quite a short path on 241 GHz so making contacts could get quite lengthy and difficult hence not trying to operate on all six bands.

73 John G8ACE



Re: Activity List for the UK Microwave Group mm-wave contests - Sunday 23rd June 0900-1700z

Noel G8GTZ
 

Hi

 

I will be on from around 1pm and will decide where to go based on activity at the time – if Roger is still testing the higher bands, I may go down there to start with.

 

Will have 24GHz and 76 GHz if I can fix the loan kit in time.

 

73

Noel – G8GTZ

 

On Mon, 17 Jun 2019, 15:55 John Quarmby via Groups.Io, <g3xdy=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Next Sunday sees the UKuG's major mm-wave event of the year, covering
all bands from 24GHz to 248GHz. I know that maps were being carefully
consulted at the RAL round table yesterday to plot possible paths, so I
hope there will be some good distances worked on all bands.

The rules are here:

https://www.microwavers.org/files/2019-mwrules.pdf

As usual I will assemble an activity list and post it here, Please send
details of your plans by close of play on Friday this week and I will
consolidate them and send out the list on Saturday. Please note that the
exchange for these events asks for 8 character locator information to be
exchanged and logged.

73

John G3XDY

UKuG Contest Manager




Re: DF9IC 23cm 250W PA copper heatspreaders available

Neil Smith G4DBN
 

I now have a stock of PCBs direct from Henning.  They are on SHF laminate and have PTHs. I also have a few spare MRFE6S9160HS FETs. If anyone isn't feeling up to the exhilarating task of soldering the FETs and PCBs to the spreader, I will be happy to do it for you. Same if you need the ears milling off your bolt-down 50 ohm dump resistor, just pop it in the post and I'll send it back neatly earless.
Contact me off-list to neil@... 

Offset dishes for repeaters in the sky

Richard <richard@...>
 

Looking at the angle of the LNB support arm, I have looked at a few,
Most are fixed or go through the lower edge of the dish.
However the Gilbertini, 100L, is fixed below the rim of the dish.
That gives a little bit more room for the patch antenna.

They are a bit more expensive, but are they worth it.
I noticed someone on the BATC group had one and sold it, he claimed he
had a MER of 8 with it on QO-100, is this good or bad : he didn't say
what bandwidth that was in.
There is a UK seller making claims that its better mentioning the use
of a spectrum analyser.
the two things put together ring alarm bells with me
--
Best wishes /73
Richard Bown

Email : richard@...

HTTP : http://www.g8jvm.com

######################################################################

Ham Call: G8JVM . QRV: 50-432 MHz + Microwave
Maidenhead QRA: IO82SP38, LAT. 52 39.720' N LONG. 2 28.171 W
QRV 6mtrs 200W, 4mtrs 150W, 2mtrs 300W, 70cms 200W,
Microwave 1296MHz 140W, 2320MHz 100W & 10368MHz 5W
OS: Linux Mint 19.1 x86_64 Tessa, on a Dell Inspiron N5030 laptop
######################################################################

Re: Offset dishes for repeaters in the sky

Chris Bartram G4DGU
 

Hello Richard

I have a Gilbertini 1m dish. It certainly worked well on a quick sun noise test at 10GHz.

My comment is that of those consumer dishes I've seen, it is certainly the best characterised, and I get the impression that the person who designed it knew EXACTLY what they were doing.

The performance of a dish relies very much on the design of the feed antenna, and I'd be very sceptical any amateur claims of poor performance. With a non-optimum feed it's possible to make any dish look poor. In my experience, few people realise the extent of the compromises they make when using what are sometimes very popular feeds.

73

Chris

G4DGU

Looking at the angle of the LNB support arm, I have looked at a few,
Most are fixed or go through the lower edge of the dish.
However the Gilbertini, 100L, is fixed below the rim of the dish.
That gives a little bit more room for the patch antenna.

They are a bit more expensive, but are they worth it.
I noticed someone on the BATC group had one and sold it, he claimed he
had a MER of 8 with it on QO-100, is this good or bad : he didn't say
what bandwidth that was in.
There is a UK seller making claims that its better mentioning the use
of a spectrum analyser.
the two things put together ring alarm bells with me

Re: Offset dishes for repeaters in the sky

Colin G4EML
 

Most people use the beacon signal as a reference and quote the MER when receiving it. A MER of 8dB on a 1 metre dish is good.

Fitting the dual band patch to a standard feed arm can lead to it being positioned too close to the dish. This is because most feed arms are designed for a standard LNB with a horn diameter of about 60 mm. The reflector of the patch feed is larger, forcing it to be positioned closer to the dish to avoid fouling on the feed arm. For correct positioning at the focal point it is necessary to modify the end of the arm to give more clearance.

On 19 Jun 2019, at 09:19, Richard <richard@...> wrote:


Looking at the angle of the LNB support arm, I have looked at a few,
Most are fixed or go through the lower edge of the dish.
However the Gilbertini, 100L, is fixed below the rim of the dish.
That gives a little bit more room for the patch antenna.

They are a bit more expensive, but are they worth it.
I noticed someone on the BATC group had one and sold it, he claimed he
had a MER of 8 with it on QO-100, is this good or bad : he didn't say
what bandwidth that was in.
There is a UK seller making claims that its better mentioning the use
of a spectrum analyser.
the two things put together ring alarm bells with me
--
Best wishes /73
Richard Bown

Email : richard@...

HTTP : http://www.g8jvm.com

######################################################################

Ham Call: G8JVM . QRV: 50-432 MHz + Microwave
Maidenhead QRA: IO82SP38, LAT. 52 39.720' N LONG. 2 28.171 W
QRV 6mtrs 200W, 4mtrs 150W, 2mtrs 300W, 70cms 200W,
Microwave 1296MHz 140W, 2320MHz 100W & 10368MHz 5W
OS: Linux Mint 19.1 x86_64 Tessa, on a Dell Inspiron N5030 laptop
######################################################################

Re: Offset dishes for repeaters in the sky

Dave G8GKQ
 

Richard

8dB MER on the QO-100 Wideband beacon is slightly (1 - 2 dB) above average for a 1m dish with a dual-band patch feed illustrated in the accompanying picture on the BATC Forum https://forum.batc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6144. Some optimised horn feeds should be able to achieve better, but as Chris says, there are always compromises.

MER on the beacon is independent of bandwidth.

Dave
G8GKQ

-----Original Message-----
From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io [mailto:UKMicrowaves@groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard
Sent: 19 June 2019 09:20
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: [UKMicrowaves] Offset dishes for repeaters in the sky


Looking at the angle of the LNB support arm, I have looked at a few,
Most are fixed or go through the lower edge of the dish.
However the Gilbertini, 100L, is fixed below the rim of the dish.
That gives a little bit more room for the patch antenna.

They are a bit more expensive, but are they worth it.
I noticed someone on the BATC group had one and sold it, he claimed he
had a MER of 8 with it on QO-100, is this good or bad : he didn't say
what bandwidth that was in.
There is a UK seller making claims that its better mentioning the use
of a spectrum analyser.
the two things put together ring alarm bells with me
--
Best wishes /73
Richard Bown

Email : richard@...

HTTP : http://www.g8jvm.com

######################################################################

Ham Call: G8JVM . QRV: 50-432 MHz + Microwave
Maidenhead QRA: IO82SP38, LAT. 52 39.720' N LONG. 2 28.171 W
QRV 6mtrs 200W, 4mtrs 150W, 2mtrs 300W, 70cms 200W,
Microwave 1296MHz 140W, 2320MHz 100W & 10368MHz 5W
OS: Linux Mint 19.1 x86_64 Tessa, on a Dell Inspiron N5030 laptop
######################################################################

Re: Offset dishes for repeaters in the sky

Richard <richard@...>
 

Thanks Chris
I feel a trip to N. Wales coming up, it also has the advantage of being
light weight as its Al.
It might take a while to be able to do a sun noise test :(
73 Richard

On Wed, 2019-06-19 at 09:35 +0100, Chris Bartram G4DGU wrote:
Hello Richard

I have a Gilbertini 1m dish. It certainly worked well on a quick sun
noise test at 10GHz.

My comment is that of those consumer dishes I've seen, it is
certainly
the best characterised, and I get the impression that the person who
designed it knew EXACTLY what they were doing.

The performance of a dish relies very much on the design of the feed
antenna, and I'd be very sceptical any amateur claims of poor
performance. With a non-optimum feed it's possible to make any dish
look
poor. In my experience, few people realise the extent of the
compromises
they make when using what are sometimes very popular feeds.

73

Chris

G4DGU

Looking at the angle of the LNB support arm, I have looked at a
few,
Most are fixed or go through the lower edge of the dish.
However the Gilbertini, 100L, is fixed below the rim of the dish.
That gives a little bit more room for the patch antenna.

They are a bit more expensive, but are they worth it.
I noticed someone on the BATC group had one and sold it, he claimed
he
had a MER of 8 with it on QO-100, is this good or bad : he didn't
say
what bandwidth that was in.
There is a UK seller making claims that its better mentioning the
use
of a spectrum analyser.
the two things put together ring alarm bells with me

--
Best wishes /73
Richard Bown

Email : richard@...

HTTP : http://www.g8jvm.com

######################################################################

Ham Call: G8JVM . QRV: 50-432 MHz + Microwave
Maidenhead QRA: IO82SP38, LAT. 52 39.720' N LONG. 2 28.171 W
QRV 6mtrs 200W, 4mtrs 150W, 2mtrs 300W, 70cms 200W,
Microwave 1296MHz 140W, 2320MHz 100W & 10368MHz 5W
OS: Linux Mint 19.1 x86_64 Tessa, on a Dell Inspiron N5030 laptop
######################################################################

Re: Offset dishes for repeaters in the sky

Neil Smith G4DBN
 

On 19/06/2019 09:44, Colin G4EML wrote:
Fitting the dual band patch to a standard feed arm can lead to it being positioned too close to the dish. This is because most feed arms are designed for a standard LNB with a horn diameter of about 60 mm. The reflector of the patch feed is larger, forcing it to be positioned closer to the dish to avoid fouling on the feed arm. For correct positioning at the focal point it is necessary to modify the end of the arm to give more clearance. 

Here's one I made earlier, as Valerie Singleton might have said...

The block at the right side plugs into the sawn-off end of the feed arm and gives a bit more clearance, while still allowing the feed to be on the right axis and at the right focal distance.

However, in some cases, it is adequate to use a split adaptor ring with a 22mm offset hole and 40mm OD and nod the dish by a degree or so. That gains around 8mm of extra clearance. Something like this, but with the hole nearer the periphery:

I went a bit mad on the adjustability front with an earlier version for a WA6KBL Pickett-Potter horn which fits in the cut-off end of the arm on my 95cm dish.

Neil G4DBN


Réf. : Re: [UKMicrowaves] Offset dishes for repeaters in the sky

F1CHF
 

hello
nice job
 about the RED cap
is it easy to get one ?
and where ..
thanks
Francois
 
 
 
 
 
-------Message original-------
 
Date : 19/06/2019 11:30:19
Sujet : Re: [UKMicrowaves] Offset dishes for repeaters in the sky
 

On 19/06/2019 09:44, Colin G4EML wrote:
Fitting the dual band patch to a standard feed arm can lead to it being positioned too close to the dish. This is because most feed arms are designed for a standard LNB with a horn diameter of about 60 mm. The reflector of the patch feed is larger, forcing it to be positioned closer to the dish to avoid fouling on the feed arm. For correct positioning at the focal point it is necessary to modify the end of the arm to give more clearance. 

Here's one I made earlier, as Valerie Singleton might have said...

The block at the right side plugs into the sawn-off end of the feed arm and gives a bit more clearance, while still allowing the feed to be on the right axis and at the right focal distance.

However, in some cases, it is adequate to use a split adaptor ring with a 22mm offset hole and 40mm OD and nod the dish by a degree or so. That gains around 8mm of extra clearance. Something like this, but with the hole nearer the periphery:

I went a bit mad on the adjustability front with an earlier version for a WA6KBL Pickett-Potter horn which fits in the cut-off end of the arm on my 95cm dish.

Neil G4DBN


 

Re: Réf. : Re: [UKMicrowaves] Offset dishes for repeaters in the sky

Neil Smith G4DBN
 

That lens is from a Red Eagle Black Buster LNB. The lens can be removed using boiling water to soften the plastic and adhesive.

https://efe-multimedia.de/Red-Eagle-Black-Buster-Rocket-Single-LNB-01dB-fuer-3-Grad-geeignet

The lens is too large to fit 22mm copper pipe though, so I made an adaptor ring from brass:


I think it is better to use a custom-made lens, but the Red Eagle LNBs are very low cost.


Neil G4DBN

On 19/06/2019 11:04, F1CHF wrote:
hello
nice job
 about the RED cap
is it easy to get one ?
and where ..
thanks
Francois
 
 
 
 
 
-------Message original-------
 
Date : 19/06/2019 11:30:19
Sujet : Re: [UKMicrowaves] Offset dishes for repeaters in the sky
 
On 19/06/2019 09:44, Colin G4EML wrote:
Fitting the dual band patch to a standard feed arm can lead to it being positioned too close to the dish. This is because most feed arms are designed for a standard LNB with a horn diameter of about 60 mm. The reflector of the patch feed is larger, forcing it to be positioned closer to the dish to avoid fouling on the feed arm. For correct positioning at the focal point it is necessary to modify the end of the arm to give more clearance. 

Here's one I made earlier, as Valerie Singleton might have said...

The block at the right side plugs into the sawn-off end of the feed arm and gives a bit more clearance, while still allowing the feed to be on the right axis and at the right focal distance.

However, in some cases, it is adequate to use a split adaptor ring with a 22mm offset hole and 40mm OD and nod the dish by a degree or so. That gains around 8mm of extra clearance. Something like this, but with the hole nearer the periphery:

I went a bit mad on the adjustability front with an earlier version for a WA6KBL Pickett-Potter horn which fits in the cut-off end of the arm on my 95cm dish.

Neil G4DBN