Date   

Re: The joys of RS - PICs for Keyer Boards

Alan Melia
 


Hi Andy, I suspect some of it is legacy and some is to ease their handling. Yes they could probably buy cheaper from the manufacturers in sticks, but they have a legacy from the TV and radio repair days of selling single items. Having to decant chips from sticks for every order is expensive in time and ESD precautions. So it is more efficient for then to get their supply in unit (or small quantity ) bags. So keep your old sticks to store the spares and hope the sticks are still ESD proof.
 
Alan

----- Original Message -----
From: John Fell
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2021 12:39 PM
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] The joys of RS - PICs for Keyer Boards

Some years ago during the age of work I , as an Engineer for a  reasonably large supplier , had to comply with the voluminous  contract documentation supplied by RS , with regard to item packaging .
This often meant packaging and marking the RS house code identification , barcoding , date stamping etc etc .

Unless the end user complains about the user waste and time wasted with singular packaging , it will linger on .

Somewhere in my junk stores  I  have wire ended Resistors in their individually heat-sealed bags .

73
John
G0API


On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 at 11:45, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:
RS Components are getting worse in their old age.

After wandering up to the Trade Counter this morning to collect the PIC devices, and being told "I had ordered too late", got back home and an hour or so later Parcel Force turned up with the package from RS.  I normally prefer delivery to the trade counter which is just 20 minutes walk away as it doesn't involve waiting-in for P-Farce.   So quite why they converted a "Deliver to Trade Counter"  into "Deliver to Home Address"  escapes me.   Probably down to the fatty protein lump.

Opened up the package to find 50  12F617 PIC devices, all individually packaged one per plastic bag that each had to cut open.  WHY do they do this ?

Anyway, boards assembled, devices programmed and into the post box for this afternoon's collection.



On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 at 09:32, Andy Talbot <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:
I've dispatched five orders so far and have run out of PICs.   Five still waiting.
Placed an order with RS yesterday, but they "claim" it was too late for delivery today , which was untrue as I placed the order at 1300, but whatever...

So should get them tomorrow.

Those who requested the sequential tone version, I captured your emails.  These boards will be marked with a '3' (for KEYER3).    Thought there was a space on the PayPal order form for a Message To Sender, but clearly not. 


Re: The joys of RS - PICs for Keyer Boards

John Fell
 

Some years ago during the age of work I , as an Engineer for a  reasonably large supplier , had to comply with the voluminous  contract documentation supplied by RS , with regard to item packaging .
This often meant packaging and marking the RS house code identification , barcoding , date stamping etc etc .

Unless the end user complains about the user waste and time wasted with singular packaging , it will linger on .

Somewhere in my junk stores  I  have wire ended Resistors in their individually heat-sealed bags .

73
John
G0API


On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 at 11:45, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:
RS Components are getting worse in their old age.

After wandering up to the Trade Counter this morning to collect the PIC devices, and being told "I had ordered too late", got back home and an hour or so later Parcel Force turned up with the package from RS.  I normally prefer delivery to the trade counter which is just 20 minutes walk away as it doesn't involve waiting-in for P-Farce.   So quite why they converted a "Deliver to Trade Counter"  into "Deliver to Home Address"  escapes me.   Probably down to the fatty protein lump.

Opened up the package to find 50  12F617 PIC devices, all individually packaged one per plastic bag that each had to cut open.  WHY do they do this ?

Anyway, boards assembled, devices programmed and into the post box for this afternoon's collection.



On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 at 09:32, Andy Talbot <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:
I've dispatched five orders so far and have run out of PICs.   Five still waiting.
Placed an order with RS yesterday, but they "claim" it was too late for delivery today , which was untrue as I placed the order at 1300, but whatever...

So should get them tomorrow.

Those who requested the sequential tone version, I captured your emails.  These boards will be marked with a '3' (for KEYER3).    Thought there was a space on the PayPal order form for a Message To Sender, but clearly not. 


The joys of RS - PICs for Keyer Boards

Andy G4JNT
 

RS Components are getting worse in their old age.

After wandering up to the Trade Counter this morning to collect the PIC devices, and being told "I had ordered too late", got back home and an hour or so later Parcel Force turned up with the package from RS.  I normally prefer delivery to the trade counter which is just 20 minutes walk away as it doesn't involve waiting-in for P-Farce.   So quite why they converted a "Deliver to Trade Counter"  into "Deliver to Home Address"  escapes me.   Probably down to the fatty protein lump.

Opened up the package to find 50  12F617 PIC devices, all individually packaged one per plastic bag that each had to cut open.  WHY do they do this ?

Anyway, boards assembled, devices programmed and into the post box for this afternoon's collection.



On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 at 09:32, Andy Talbot <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:
I've dispatched five orders so far and have run out of PICs.   Five still waiting.
Placed an order with RS yesterday, but they "claim" it was too late for delivery today , which was untrue as I placed the order at 1300, but whatever...

So should get them tomorrow.

Those who requested the sequential tone version, I captured your emails.  These boards will be marked with a '3' (for KEYER3).    Thought there was a space on the PayPal order form for a Message To Sender, but clearly not. 


Audio Keyer Boards

Andy G4JNT
 

I've dispatched five orders so far and have run out of PICs.   Five still waiting.
Placed an order with RS yesterday, but they "claim" it was too late for delivery today , which was untrue as I placed the order at 1300, but whatever...

So should get them tomorrow.

Those who requested the sequential tone version, I captured your emails.  These boards will be marked with a '3' (for KEYER3).    Thought there was a space on the PayPal order form for a Message To Sender, but clearly not. 


Re: N plug solder for semi rigid

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG
 

That's a good site! They appear to do plugs for .250 semi rigid as well ... very useful!

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 at 21:32, DougF VK4OE <uwaves@...> wrote:

Greetings, Ben.

Try:  https://rfshop.co.uk/n3300-0141-n-connector-male-pin-rg402-solder

Jyebao make quality connectors and their Taiwanese origin should not lead to assumptions that they'll be like those available from suppliers in the huge country to the west of Taiwan.

Cheers and 73,

--Doug Friend, VK4OE.

On 12/01/2021 7:20 am, militaryoperator via groups.io wrote:

Looking on ebay, can't find a UK supplier of N plug for semi-rigid, soldered. 

They all seem Chinese or Crimp.

Where to go?

Ben


--
Robin Szemeti - G1YFG


Re: N plug solder for semi rigid

militaryoperator
 


I see digikey.uk has these ARF2068-ND  082-6124  Amphenol RF  at £7.90 ea.  ??????

Ben

--

-----Original Message-----
From: Robin Szemeti - G1YFG <robin@...>
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Sent: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 21:29
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] N plug solder for semi rigid

Ah, sorry N plug ... Farnell do one, but it is £26 ...


Re: N plug solder for semi rigid

militaryoperator
 


Greetings, Ben.
Jyebao make quality connectors and their Taiwanese origin should not lead to assumptions that they'll be like those available from suppliers in the huge country to the west of Taiwan.
Cheers and 73,
--Doug Friend, VK4OE.

Looked there, wow, £6 shipping cost for one plug. 

Thanks Doug. 

Ben.


Re: N plug solder for semi rigid

DougF VK4OE
 

Greetings, Ben.

Try:  https://rfshop.co.uk/n3300-0141-n-connector-male-pin-rg402-solder

Jyebao make quality connectors and their Taiwanese origin should not lead to assumptions that they'll be like those available from suppliers in the huge country to the west of Taiwan.

Cheers and 73,

--Doug Friend, VK4OE.

On 12/01/2021 7:20 am, militaryoperator via groups.io wrote:

Looking on ebay, can't find a UK supplier of N plug for semi-rigid, soldered. 

They all seem Chinese or Crimp.

Where to go?

Ben


Re: N plug solder for semi rigid

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG
 

Ah, sorry N plug ... Farnell do one, but it is £26 ...

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 at 21:24, Robin Szemeti <robin@...> wrote:

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 at 21:20, militaryoperator via groups.io <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Looking on ebay, can't find a UK supplier of N plug for semi-rigid, soldered. 

They all seem Chinese or Crimp.

Where to go?

Ben


--
Robin Szemeti - G1YFG


Re: N plug solder for semi rigid

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG
 


On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 at 21:20, militaryoperator via groups.io <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Looking on ebay, can't find a UK supplier of N plug for semi-rigid, soldered. 

They all seem Chinese or Crimp.

Where to go?

Ben


--
Robin Szemeti - G1YFG


N plug solder for semi rigid

militaryoperator
 


Looking on ebay, can't find a UK supplier of N plug for semi-rigid, soldered. 

They all seem Chinese or Crimp.

Where to go?

Ben


Re: SSB - Electronic SP-23 Preamp

Anthony Coldman
 

Many thanks to all that responded, I now have the circuit for the MK2 that I needed.

 

Regards Anthony

 

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io> On Behalf Of Pete - GM4BYF via groups.io
Sent: 11 January 2021 19:17
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] SSB - Electronic SP-23 Preamp

 

Just seen your message. I have a circuit diagram somewhere, having repaired mine several times. One thing to notice is that the coaxial relays have insufficient isolation on their own, so the input circuit has an additional isolation relay to earth it when on transmit. I also found that a delay of 0.3s was necessary to protect the output of the preamp and allow time for the relays to change over. Get back to me for more detailed information if required.

73
Pete GM4BYF

On 10/01/21 18:49, Anthony Coldman via groups.io wrote:

I have a SP23MKII mats head preamp, its not working.

 

I wonder if anyone has a circuit for it with the component value, I suspect one of the 2 Gas Fet, but unsure on what they are, they seem to be the same possible MGF1302 but not 100% sure.

 

Does anyone have any information that may help. Its quite an old unit so is there a better replacement device available now?

 

Regards Anthony G7LRQ


--
vry 73
Pete GM4BYF


Re: SSB - Electronic SP-23 Preamp

DF6NA Rainer
 


73, Rainer DF6NA

Am 11.01.2021 um 20:17 schrieb Pete - GM4BYF via groups.io:

Just seen your message. I have a circuit diagram somewhere, having repaired mine several times. One thing to notice is that the coaxial relays have insufficient isolation on their own, so the input circuit has an additional isolation relay to earth it when on transmit. I also found that a delay of 0.3s was necessary to protect the output of the preamp and allow time for the relays to change over. Get back to me for more detailed information if required.

73
Pete GM4BYF
On 10/01/21 18:49, Anthony Coldman via groups.io wrote:

I have a SP23MKII mats head preamp, its not working.

 

I wonder if anyone has a circuit for it with the component value, I suspect one of the 2 Gas Fet, but unsure on what they are, they seem to be the same possible MGF1302 but not 100% sure.

 

Does anyone have any information that may help. Its quite an old unit so is there a better replacement device available now?

 

Regards Anthony G7LRQ


--
vry 73
Pete GM4BYF


Re: SSB - Electronic SP-23 Preamp

Pete - GM4BYF
 

Just seen your message. I have a circuit diagram somewhere, having repaired mine several times. One thing to notice is that the coaxial relays have insufficient isolation on their own, so the input circuit has an additional isolation relay to earth it when on transmit. I also found that a delay of 0.3s was necessary to protect the output of the preamp and allow time for the relays to change over. Get back to me for more detailed information if required.

73
Pete GM4BYF
On 10/01/21 18:49, Anthony Coldman via groups.io wrote:

I have a SP23MKII mats head preamp, its not working.

 

I wonder if anyone has a circuit for it with the component value, I suspect one of the 2 Gas Fet, but unsure on what they are, they seem to be the same possible MGF1302 but not 100% sure.

 

Does anyone have any information that may help. Its quite an old unit so is there a better replacement device available now?

 

Regards Anthony G7LRQ


--
vry 73
Pete GM4BYF


Re: Audio CW / Tone / Chirp keyer

Paul Randall G3NJV
 

Ah OK, so not faff/chaos/balls-up/megamess that is Brexit and the VAT change at all then 
P



Sent from my Galaxy



-------- Original message --------
From: Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...>
Date: 11/01/2021 15:53 (GMT+00:00)
To: "UK Microwaves groups.io" <UKMicrowaves@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Audio CW / Tone / Chirp keyer

I've still got to get pricing to wherever it's going and make out Customs forms.   Hence the contact separately message
Perhaps overseas pricing will have unified - I've yet to check.



On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 at 15:48, Paul Randall G3NJV <paulfrandall@...> wrote:
"NOW ............"


... but Andy, surely nothing has changed for you selling overseas as a private individual except that goods sent to EU now need a customs sticker CN22 for low value items, same as rest of world. 

There is no requirement for you to charge UK VAT unless you are trading as a VAT company and same goes for EU. New regs (for imports to EU) are not implemented in EU for 6 months anyway - confirmed by no change in my ebay sales to EU (ie no VAT collected by ebay). 

Certified checked for apostrophes.
Paul








Sent from my Galaxy


-------- Original message --------
From: Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...>
Date: 11/01/2021 14:25 (GMT+00:00)
To: "UK Microwaves groups.io" <ukmicrowaves@groups.io>
Subject: [UKMicrowaves] Audio CW / Tone / Chirp keyer


The PCBs have now been delivered, and I've made one up to test - works OK.

So sales of PCBs with programmed PICs  can now go live.

UK Purchasers will find a PayPal button on my website on these pages
Price is £9.00 for one. reducing progressively for up to 4
If you want more than 4, contact me.

If you want the NON-CW version, KEYER3  that sends sequential tones, please state this at the of ordering, the price is the same and you can have a mixture of types within the multiple-price.

NOW ............
Due to the faff/chaos/balls-up/megamess that is Brexit and the VAT changes, I can't add direct payment options for overseas purchasers (and this may even include GI, not too sure), so please contact me for more info.

I've got 100 PCBs , have 8 spare PIC devices ready to go with 50 more on order from RS - which should arrive tomorrow, but there could be delays.  

Now, off the post office for padded envelopes and stamps


Re: PRIVATE: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Audio CW / Tone / Chirp keyer

Andy G4JNT
 

OK,   when the chips arrive - hopefully tomorrow. I'll be able to send
The three sequential tone version will be labelled with a '3'



On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 at 16:57, Dave via groups.io <davidnewman55=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello Andy,
I just ordered three of the units. 
I couldn’t see anywhere to say that I would like 2 of the keyed ones and 1 of the non keyed versions.
Many thanks indeed,
David G4GLT. 


On 11 Jan 2021, at 14:57, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:



Missed off my callsign from the order, but "neil@..." is me.

Paid for four.

Ta, Neil G4DBN

On 11/01/2021 14:25, Andy G4JNT wrote:

The PCBs have now been delivered, and I've made one up to test - works OK.

So sales of PCBs with programmed PICs  can now go live.


Re: PRIVATE: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Audio CW / Tone / Chirp keyer

Dave
 

Hello Andy,
I just ordered three of the units. 
I couldn’t see anywhere to say that I would like 2 of the keyed ones and 1 of the non keyed versions.
Many thanks indeed,
David G4GLT. 


On 11 Jan 2021, at 14:57, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:



Missed off my callsign from the order, but "neil@..." is me.

Paid for four.

Ta, Neil G4DBN

On 11/01/2021 14:25, Andy G4JNT wrote:

The PCBs have now been delivered, and I've made one up to test - works OK.

So sales of PCBs with programmed PICs  can now go live.


Re: Audio CW / Tone / Chirp keyer

Andy G4JNT
 

I've still got to get pricing to wherever it's going and make out Customs forms.   Hence the contact separately message
Perhaps overseas pricing will have unified - I've yet to check.



On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 at 15:48, Paul Randall G3NJV <paulfrandall@...> wrote:
"NOW ............"


... but Andy, surely nothing has changed for you selling overseas as a private individual except that goods sent to EU now need a customs sticker CN22 for low value items, same as rest of world. 

There is no requirement for you to charge UK VAT unless you are trading as a VAT company and same goes for EU. New regs (for imports to EU) are not implemented in EU for 6 months anyway - confirmed by no change in my ebay sales to EU (ie no VAT collected by ebay). 

Certified checked for apostrophes.
Paul








Sent from my Galaxy


-------- Original message --------
From: Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...>
Date: 11/01/2021 14:25 (GMT+00:00)
To: "UK Microwaves groups.io" <ukmicrowaves@groups.io>
Subject: [UKMicrowaves] Audio CW / Tone / Chirp keyer


The PCBs have now been delivered, and I've made one up to test - works OK.

So sales of PCBs with programmed PICs  can now go live.

UK Purchasers will find a PayPal button on my website on these pages
Price is £9.00 for one. reducing progressively for up to 4
If you want more than 4, contact me.

If you want the NON-CW version, KEYER3  that sends sequential tones, please state this at the of ordering, the price is the same and you can have a mixture of types within the multiple-price.

NOW ............
Due to the faff/chaos/balls-up/megamess that is Brexit and the VAT changes, I can't add direct payment options for overseas purchasers (and this may even include GI, not too sure), so please contact me for more info.

I've got 100 PCBs , have 8 spare PIC devices ready to go with 50 more on order from RS - which should arrive tomorrow, but there could be delays.  

Now, off the post office for padded envelopes and stamps


Re: Audio CW / Tone / Chirp keyer

Paul Randall G3NJV
 

"NOW ............"


... but Andy, surely nothing has changed for you selling overseas as a private individual except that goods sent to EU now need a customs sticker CN22 for low value items, same as rest of world. 

There is no requirement for you to charge UK VAT unless you are trading as a VAT company and same goes for EU. New regs (for imports to EU) are not implemented in EU for 6 months anyway - confirmed by no change in my ebay sales to EU (ie no VAT collected by ebay). 

Certified checked for apostrophes.
Paul








Sent from my Galaxy


-------- Original message --------
From: Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...>
Date: 11/01/2021 14:25 (GMT+00:00)
To: "UK Microwaves groups.io" <ukmicrowaves@groups.io>
Subject: [UKMicrowaves] Audio CW / Tone / Chirp keyer


The PCBs have now been delivered, and I've made one up to test - works OK.

So sales of PCBs with programmed PICs  can now go live.

UK Purchasers will find a PayPal button on my website on these pages
Price is £9.00 for one. reducing progressively for up to 4
If you want more than 4, contact me.

If you want the NON-CW version, KEYER3  that sends sequential tones, please state this at the of ordering, the price is the same and you can have a mixture of types within the multiple-price.

NOW ............
Due to the faff/chaos/balls-up/megamess that is Brexit and the VAT changes, I can't add direct payment options for overseas purchasers (and this may even include GI, not too sure), so please contact me for more info.

I've got 100 PCBs , have 8 spare PIC devices ready to go with 50 more on order from RS - which should arrive tomorrow, but there could be delays.  

Now, off the post office for padded envelopes and stamps


Re: Audio CW / Tone / Chirp keyer

Colin Ranson
 

Andy,

 

Don’t need one, but well done !

 

Colin.

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Andy G4JNT
Sent: 11 January 2021 14:25
To: UK Microwaves groups.io
Subject: [UKMicrowaves] Audio CW / Tone / Chirp keyer

 

 

The PCBs have now been delivered, and I've made one up to test - works OK.

 

So sales of PCBs with programmed PICs  can now go live.

 

UK Purchasers will find a PayPal button on my website on these pages

Price is £9.00 for one. reducing progressively for up to 4

If you want more than 4, contact me.

 

If you want the NON-CW version, KEYER3  that sends sequential tones, please state this at the of ordering, the price is the same and you can have a mixture of types within the multiple-price.

 

NOW ............

Due to the faff/chaos/balls-up/megamess that is Brexit and the VAT changes, I can't add direct payment options for overseas purchasers (and this may even include GI, not too sure), so please contact me for more info.

 

I've got 100 PCBs , have 8 spare PIC devices ready to go with 50 more on order from RS - which should arrive tomorrow, but there could be delays.  

 

Now, off the post office for padded envelopes and stamps

 

Andy

 

 

2681 - 2700 of 62991