Re: really?

John Quarmby

Gross mismatches eg logging in BST instead of UTC may result in a penalty. Time differences >5 minutes are highlighted in the adjudication process but no points are lost if the  QSO details are correct.

Mismatches of up to 10 minutes are quite common for the reasons already stated, and can also arise when a QSO that was "complete" is re-visited when signals come up in QSB because one station wants to confirm information they are unsure of, they can end up with a new end time in their log, whereas the other station that received everything OK the first time does not make any change to their log entry.

As far as I am aware logging software always records the end time of the QSO.

73

John G3XDY

On 01/09/2022 18:23, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG via groups.io wrote:

" I suspect some get penalised for a mismatch of more than 5 minutes"

I don't think there is any such rule. You are required to log "the time", but I cannot find any reference to whether it is the time of the start of the contact or when it is completed ... nor I can I find any reference to maximum timing discrepancy allowed between logs.

If such rule(s) exist, I would be interested in a link ...

On Thu, 1 Sept 2022 at 18:34, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:
I usually get caught out because I make a contact in the last two
minutes but forget to press enter, so it logs ten seconds late. I
suspect some get penalised for a mismatch of more than 5 minutes in
logging time on long, super-weak contacts, which can take ten minutes or
more. Also perhaps there are some cases where loose talk on KST
indicated that information was passed outside the contact.  The only
time I've felt mildly aggrieved about losing points is where I logged
the wrong received report or serial, but the actual error was that the
other station logged it incorrectly.  Luckily, I'm not invested enough
in contesting to worry about such trifles.  The biggest loss this year
was when I forgot to put in an entry, so anything else pales by comparison!

Neil G4DBN