Re: GPS compass!

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

I was planning to use it to get good initial calibrations on dishes when outportable for 24GHz and up ...

On my boat, I use a "Moitessier Hat" to deliver magnetic and gyro information onto the NMEA bus, via SignalK  ... there are very cheap and simple 9 axis sensor boards for Arduino that could do what you want ...  if you haven't yet delved into the world of SignalK and Open Plotter, its a fun place to start!

I hope to me on MM as usual this summer, mostly on 160m, I have a new to me IC706 going on the boat this year to replace the difficult to operate Icom marine thing.

On Fri, 8 Jul 2022 at 00:07, Richard GD8EXI <perwick@...> wrote:
Robin
            Are you going to attach the GNSS compass antennas to your antenna to just get a read out or are you going to use its output to drive a rotator? Of course in this later case mounting all the antennas on a common frame. In which case you just put it down pointing in any direction and select the required heading and the circuitry does the rest.

This boat has a good magnetic compass with a NMEA 2000 output and I would like to link it to a rotator so as the boat swings at anchor the antenna keeps a constant compass heading.

The top of the range marine GNSS compasses, use 3 antennas in an equilateral triangle usually about 1 metre apart and claim 0.25 deg rms.

NB some GNSS receivers do not work close to high power 23cms transmitters!

73s
Richard
Currently
GM8EXI/MM in IO67SB

On 07/07/2022, 16:06, "Robin Szemeti - G1YFG via groups.io" <robin@...> wrote:

If anyone feels the need, I may have a spare unit available as I was a "little exuberant" in the bidding process ;)   Let me get them back here and check they actually work ...

It goes without saying, if anyone else needs anything collecting from Aunby, just let me know.

On Thu, 7 Jul 2022 at 15:38, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:

Rex VK7MO did a nice article about his DGPS directional baseline generator implementation in DUBUS 3/2019 page 9.

Neil G4DBN

On 07/07/2022 15:30, Andy G4JNT wrote:

Vey neat

Like multi-element DF in reverse.  You know the bearing of the targets (the satellites) so work out the baseline from that.