Re: Horn for 3.4GHz

dave G8SFU

If the rules are the same as in our house the boss would say that should go on a skip. My stock answer is "stop swearing".
We don't use the sk.. word here.

If the parts are useful they should be used.

Regards.  Dave.   Sfu

Sent from BlueMail

On 22 Jun 2021, at 18:38, Colin Ranson <g8lbs@...> wrote:

Dave, just retired a big triple toaster, its in the loft.....wonder if the missus will miss it ?

73’s   Colin.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 22 June 2021 16:13
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Horn for 3.4GHz

Also worth a look at toaster element supports. Often about 5inches square.

Dave g8sfu

Sent from BlueMail

On 22 Jun 2021, at 14:53, Raymond Brooks <g8kps@...> wrote:

For Sheet mica look at microwave oven spears.

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io> On Behalf Of KENT BRITAIN
Sent: 22 June 2021 13:09
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io; UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Horn for 3.4GHz

Hi Colin

I usually put the window between the horn and the WG Transition.    Much smaller piece and it's out of the weather.

I like to use a sheet of Mica, but that's for X-Band and higher.  Hard to find Mica sheet big enough for 9cm but the bits for the larger power transistors is OK 

Andy

On Tue, 22 Jun 2021 at 08:28, Gareth G4XAT via groups.io <g4xat=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:

My local repeater GB3JV (DATV) (Petts Wood SE London) is pretty much LOS to me at home, so rather than tie up my Titanium PLL LNB I picked up a NOS Nortel DRO commercial unit. As it needs some form of weather protection I thought I might as well add some gain too. Using this software https://www.raytechx.com/antenna-calc I then designed a 3-D printed 10dBd horn, which came out like the picture. Interior surface finish has been improved by flat filing and I will then cover with aluminium tape. 
A couple of questions....
1. It seems very 'wide' compared to horns I've seen on 10GHz stuff - maybe why its 'only' 10dBd.
2. I have some PTFE sheet, would this be suitable as a gasket to keep the weather out of the LNB cavity, if not would HDPE from a milk carton work?
The horn sizes very quickly got very large (longer print time/too big for the printer) if I upped the target gain figure. I was surprised by this...not like adding a couple of elements to a yagi....
Comments welcome...
Gareth

--
Raymond G8KPS

Join UKMicrowaves@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.