Re: Unused Unloved K2RIW Amp

alwyn.seeds1

Dear All,

With NOS valves, both 3CX and 4CX, I have found it helpful to run with heaters only for 24hours before applying high voltage; I understand that the getter on these is at the top of the cathode column and is activated by the heater- it cannot be activated by RF induction, as in glass envelope valves, of course.

I neglected this precaution, once- with one of a batch of NOS Eimac 3CX800A7s. Result, instant vaporisation of high voltage current limit resistor and destruction of valve. Following the procedure described above for the others in the batch, I had no failures.

I’m no valve expert, so experts please correct me, if I’m wrong.

Regards,

Alwyn G8DOH

Alwyn Seeds, Director
SynOptika Ltd.,