Re: miller lathe?

Raymond Brooks

The question on which mill to get is a tricky one as it depends how big the materials you intend to machine. I remember an article in a model engine mag that pointed out there’s more flat matching than turning when making a locomotive,  the suggestion was that a good milling is more desirable. One solution is a sturdy lathe with a milling table attached to the cross slide as good solution. There are some good used machines available. I have a Colchester student lathe and a Herbert OV mill (1941) both can produce good accuracy with good technique.

On 13 Jun 2021 11:05, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:
I use a Noga-Cool mini mist coolant system most of the time, with soluble oil with anti-fogging additives. Less mess than full flow coolant, but then it needs a compressor. Another money-pit.

I want a CNC mill so I can do compound and arbitrary curves and 3D forms, arrays of holes, non-circular holes and other stuff that is very tricky or impossible on a manual mill. If I want a run of 30 things, I'll push it out to Xometry or similar CNC services, using the putative CNC mill only for prototyping or very short runs.
Neil G4DBN

On 13 Jun 2021 10:19, Dave G6HEF <hardknottdave@...> wrote:
Oh, and don’t forget cooling! I spent about £600 on recirculating cooling for my machines after struggling with material removal at a sensible pace, finish quality and tool life. Soon pays for itself. The finish is now lovely.

--
Raymond G8KPS