Re: ic9700?

alwyn.seeds1

Dear All,

Just to say that since my RSGB Convention talk, where I showed the radiated noise (amplitude noise rather than phase noise is the big problem with the 9700) performance of a few different systems, I’ve had quite a few people asking me for advice on the bands and many are keen to improve their signals.

Of course, there will always be some antisocial operators, but I do think they are in the minority.

I use a remote controlled 9700, which I find useful, but would never use it with a PA or for serious contesting.

For me its greatest weakness is the poor A/D accuracy on receive which makes it not much use when a band is busy.

For microwave IF use, I would think the drift would be an issue, unless it is modified to lock the VHF XO.

Regards,

Alwyn G8DOH

Alwyn Seeds, Director
SynOptika Ltd.,