Re: Calculating the impedance of a dielectric rod in free space to get a match to 377 ohms?

Neil Smith G4DBN

Simulation is working fine, but I had a feeling there was an analytical solution to calculate the characteristic impedance of a dielectric rod waveguide in air. Intellectual curiosity getting the better of me in late-night modelling sessions....

The extension rod does seem to reduce the sidelobes a little when it is about 6mm diameter.  I'm more interested in getting the edge taper right, and by adjusting the cone angle, I can get a nicely flattened lobe with a slight dip in the middle.  This is  in a 22 mm diameter tube but with a narrower lobe and no dip. It will be amusing to see if the real thing is anything close to the models