Re: microwave absorbent adhesive polymer?


John E. Beech
 

I forgot we were talking about silicone foam. Contact adhesive won't work very well either. I have some silicone glue
made by DMC which would probably stick it BUT reading the warnings on the label, I think it contains acetic acid which is
not a good idea around electronics, so if you are thinking of using silicone sealer as glue it should be the sort that
DOESEN'T smell of vinegar.

I haven't studied the detail of this project but doesn't this absorber go inside the tin plate box lid? So wouldn't the fridge
stuff be a good option?

de John G8SEQ

-------Original Message-------
From: john <john@g8seq.com>
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] microwave absorbent adhesive polymer?
Sent: Mar 04 '21 10:17

I would have thought contact adhesive such as Evostick, Bostik or Thixofix would be a good option. Snag is you only
get
one chance to stick it in the right place otherwise it is rip it off & start again.

de John G8SEQ

>  -------Original Message-------
>  From: Dave G8KHU <david@fielding-electronics.co.uk>
>  To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io>
>  Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] microwave absorbent adhesive polymer?
>  Sent: Mar 04 '21 08:18
>  
>  Neil
>  Before you order check with Mouser that their material has the
>  pressure sensitive adhesisve tape option - the Mouser description just
>  says mounting is "adhesive". Does that mean it's got the adhesive film
>  or that you need adhesive to glue it in place? The Digikey version
>  does at least says that the adhesive is non-conductive single sided so
>  I'm assuming that this is the factory fitted adhesive sheet . The base
>  number just referes to the material and the laird site lists the psa
>  as an option -
>  https://www.laird.com/products/microwave-absorbers/microwave-absorbing-elastomers-and-films/eccosorb-
mcs/21109145
>  The non-adhesive stuff is a pig for amateur use as nothing seems to
>  stick it reliably, carpet tape falls off and superglue / rtv fail
>  rapidly. The proper adhesive is a two part mix that's fiendishly
>  expensive, comes in a one litre can which has very limited shelf life
>  and has enough skull and crossbones warning symbols to sink a pirate
>  ship. I had to use it once and swore never, ever, again.
>  HTH Dave G8KHU
>  

Join UKMicrowaves@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.