From: geoffrey pike via groups.io
Sent: 20 February 2021 17:35
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Matching LDMOS device

Hi Paul,

Yes the input could be done with a resitive padder attenuator or what ever you like but it's a tad untidy but yes you could as the gain in LDMOS is at times quite high,

 OK the coax length for 4:1 output coax transformers is "normally" no shorter than 1/8 wavelength at the design F. You can make it longer but it doesn't really help much but only increase costs.

As you mentioned the 25 ohm cable does a neat job of setting the drain load to the devices, the 12 ohm cable does the same but presents a lower load to a device that can develop the higher power into that. Most of this is for 48 V devices.

Guanella type devices are inherently broadband so you wont get much advantage in changing the coax geometry you would need to look elsewhere to get your boards to work, have you tried them at 144 MHz?

cheers

Geoff

GI0GDP

On Saturday, 20 February 2021, 11:24:27 GMT, Paul Randall G3NJV <paulfrandall@...> wrote:

May I add a couple of related questions, hopefully still on topic? Firstly,  with LDMOS often giving power gains far in excess of what might be required,  is there any need to accurately match the input for max power transfer? Input swr seen by the driver can be controlled by resistive padding?

Second,  when using the familiar series/ parallel coax loops at the output,  I've not been able to find information on the length of coax required. I understand using 25 ohm coax makes a nice match from 50 ohms to 12.5 ohms (or 6.25 ohms per drain) and the relationship between output power, supply voltage and drain impedance, but many designs use 12 ohm coax for higher power, how does this work?

Advice greatly appreciated as I have some very nice LDMOS PA boards built for around 270MHz that I'd like to bring down to 2m by changing the input and output cables.

Regards to all,  Paul.

Sent from my Galaxy