Re: 3cm receive only system

Colin G4EML

Dave,

The problem is that the supply of LNBs is very unpredictable. Even those with the same part number often have different insides.

The Octagon LNBS were at one time very popular but QO-100 has caused the supply of those to dry up.

Basically any PLL type LNB will probably do what you want but there is always an element of chance when ordering.  Feed it with 18 V via a Bias T and listen on 618 MHz with a SDR Dongle.

You can get away without modifying if you are happy to cope with quite a lot of drift.  The frequency can be expected to be off  by 100s of KHz at 10GHz with  temperature drift. But it is normally fairly slow so you can still receive beacons OK. If you have a strong beacon to act as a marker it is not too much of a problem to compensate for the drift but if you only have weak beacons then you may struggle to find them.

It is fairly easy to modify most LNBs to feed in an external high stability reference, once you do that they work very well.  I have had one on  my mast without a dish for some years now and I can often hear beacons by rain scatter.

Colin G4EML