Re: SPI Software

Andy G4JNT

There are a lot of variables to SPI, it is not a properly defined protocol.   Does data change on the positive or negative clock edge;  is it LSB first or LSM first?   Does LE/CE have to be held active for the duration of the data transfer, or is it pulsed at the end?  Is the active edge low going or high going? 
For I/O devices, are there separate IP and OP wires, or is the D line tristate?
Every ine of these can be different
So you see there can be no standard chip or interface, every one has to be customised.   WHich is why a programmable device like a PIC or something else is aways used

On Sun, 14 Feb 2021 at 22:03, G8ZHA via groups.io <g8zha-1=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

AD also do a VHF/UHF version, somewhat cheaper.

I just want some software that will allow me to specify a number of bytes to be sent, then to allow me to load up the bytes and send them.

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io [mailto:UKMicrowaves@groups.io] On Behalf Of Colin G4EML
Sent: 14 February 2021 21:32
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] SPI Software

An interesting chip, SPI is well supported by Arduinos or Pics so controlling it wouldn’t be a problem.  

However at £500 each I think I will give it a miss for a while!.

Colin G4EML

Sent: 14 February 2021 21:15
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: [UKMicrowaves] SPI Software

I wonder if anyone knows if there is any software about that can control a device connected via an SPI bus.

There are small compass modules available that are SPI controlled. Along with various PLL modules.

Also, Analog Devices has released a SPI controlled Filter chip ADMV8818 which maybe useful for amateur use.

Regards, Rich G8ZHA

Join UKMicrowaves@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.