Re: Sockets for soldering into PCB, intended for clasping and releasing one wire only

Colin G4EML

When I was repairing boards we used to call them ‘Harwin sockets’, a single gold plated socket that was soldered directly into a hole in the PCB. Would take a fine wire, resistor lead, or IC pin.
I believe they are Available from Farnell.

Colin G4EML

On 3 Feb 2021, at 10:06, DougF VK4OE <> wrote:

Greetings to all readers!

First of all, does anyone know the electronics industry name given to small single-conductor 'sockets' which are usually soldered into a PCB, designed to mechanically clasp a stiff wire (c. 0.7 mm dia.) and later to release that wire as whatever that wire is connected to is pulled away from the PCB?

I have seen such things in some boards taken from pieces of HP test equipment where there is a small 'daughter' board fitted to the parent board but still able to be removed from it.

Discovering the 'normal' name given to these is a first step towards possibly acquiring some....and the obvious next question is whether anyone knows a current source for this type of item....

Thanks in anticipation,

--Doug Friend, VK4OE.

Join to automatically receive all group messages.