Re: ERA-02 as a multiplier

Colin Ranson

Andy, I just happened to have two separate 723’s on a piece of veroboard that came with a W1GHz  simple personal beacon for 10GHz. (bought at a uW MRT many years ago) Each one was used to control the bias on the Multiplier MODAMPS.

Just seemed handy to use !   I will of course use something more appropriate like an LDO1117 adj. Or similar when I lay out the PCB.

Colin de ‘LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 24 January 2021 22:30
To: UK Microwaves groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] ERA-02 as a multiplier

Ouch

Still using the 723 regulator?

That thing is so complicated to connect up compared with an LM317.  And, I believe, a lot noisier.   

Isn't it so old that the reference inside it is an actual Zener?  If so, no wonder it's noisy.

I formally learnt about them in 1976 - remember it well.

Andy

On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 at 22:26, Colin Ranson <g8lbs@...> wrote:

Greg,

The Gali-2 is good to 8GHz.......    I ‘rats nested’ one from 1278 – 2556MHz, think I set bias at about 2.2-2.5V with a 723 regulator. Yet to build on a proper PCB.

Regards

Colin de G8LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 24 January 2021 19:36
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: [UKMicrowaves] ERA-02 as a multiplier

Does anyone have experience of using the ERA-02 as a tripler from around 3.5 GHz to around 10.5 GHz? I know they work in triplers up to 3 GHz, but I was wondering whether they have a respectable performance higher up, or whether one needs to use an MMIC that actually has some gain at 10 GHz.

Join UKMicrowaves@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.