Sent: Sunday, January 24, 2021 at 11:16 AM
From: "Andy G4JNT" <andy.g4jnt@...>
To: "UK Microwaves groups.io" <UKMicrowaves@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] cling film?
A different sort of use, but I used to use cling film and silicone grease along with a tie wrap to hold it in place,  to protect the end of a run of EW90 guide when the dish wasn't connected to it.

Andy

On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 at 11:14, militaryoperator via groups.io <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
As my uw antennas are all temporary, ie I put then up and down only when needed, akin to portable op's but from the home qth, I noticed after the last 23cm use which was in the rain here, got soaked inside but that's another problem, that there was water shorting or very nearly shorting the folded dipole to the boom.

I guess those with permanent setups way up high have other techniques for wx or such.

Has anyone with portable experience, non so far here, tried say cling film over the radiator or a plastic bag etc?

My 23 and 13 are standard Yagi folded dipole type, I'm ok on 9, its a flat panel in an outside protective cover and my 10Ghz ex mil dipole on wg feed did have a plastic cover over it, presumably to stop the ingress of water to the wg but it was cracked so I removed it. A small piece of cling film over the end would stop any ingress I'm guessing.

Anyway, thoughts?

Ben.G4BXD