RGW & GGW

Ethan Waldo

I've recently been made aware of substrateless ridge gap waveguide (RGW) and groove gap waveguide (GGW) after reading the publication of "Substrate-less Oscillator Module Realized by Gap Waveguide Technology for Millimeter Wave Applications" by B. Ahmadi and A. Banai https://sci-hub.se/10.23919/eumc.2017.8231043.  I'm curious if anyone has experience with these methods or put them in to practice.  I would imagine not having to deal with dialectric loss and capacitance or exotic substrate materials has a lot of advantages at high mmwave frequencies, though I have no idea what tools an amateur could use to model these devices since this is beyond the capabilities of QUCS.  I'm guessing accurate enough micromachining would be a challenge though low-cost albeit slow electrochemical additive manufacturing would be able to achieve the precision needed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-UbDk7LrvU.