Re: Bell Hill Beacons

Andy G4JNT

Edited

That is because, Neil, you are on the bad bearing from 'SCX in line with teh ridge.  Bearing to you, 16°  assuming you are IO93NR
The site is on top of a narrow ridge of more or less equal height, that runs for 2km on a roughly 30 degree bearing, and there's a lump of high ground slightly to the W of that which I thinks knocks you out.   So anyone within 10° of that bearing is not going to get the benefit of its otherwise good siting. Especially as we had to lower the mast last year when decent guys were no longer possible  Take off is excellent to the East and West.

On Sat, 9 Jan 2021 at 23:18, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:

I've never understood why is it very rare for me to hear SCX on 3cm, despite hearing the slightly more distant KBQ frequently, about 8 degrees further west and 343 km away.  Path loss appears to be slightly better from SCX. Main difference is that the first obstacle towards SCX is 76km away, and it is a rounded hill rather than the closer and sharper hill 45km away on the path to KBQ.

I think I've only seen SCX via tropo twice, in September 2020. Before that, a few times on rainscatter Eight spots in all.  Contrast with KBQ, only 10km further away, which I've spotted 176 times.  I've listened for SCX just as often. GB3SEE is behind my trees, and I've only seen it a dozen times, but GB3PKT is a regular at a mere 252 km, spotted 120 times, but it was off for a fair slab of time.

I don't even hear SCX via plane scatter, not that there are many planes any more! Reflections from KBQ arrive regularly, so it must be something particularly absorbent in South Yorks or Notts.

Neil G4DBN

On 09/01/2021 21:22, Andy G4JNT wrote:
Yes, on your bearing of 35° from BH, it's unfortunate you're directly in line with the ridge and get no benefit of its being high up on a hill.

On Sat, 9 Jan 2021 at 19:25, neil whiting <neil@...> wrote:
Hi Andy,

I used to use these beacons regularly to check my systems on 2320/3400/5760MHz as I could hear
them almost all the time.
However since the tower height was reduced I can't hear them any more unless conditions are really good
- maybe 5 times a year? A real shame. I'm surprised the height has made so much difference.

73,
Neil  G4BRK

On Sat, 9 Jan 2021 at 11:22, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:
No,  Don't panic - they're all running OK :-)

Just posting to say Thank You to those who have made donations over the last few months towards the upkeep of these bacons - you know who you are.

If you regularly monitor these beacons from Bell Hill in Dorset,  LOC. IO80UU59  , then please consider making a donation to their upkeep and site rental.  With rally stands non-operational nowadays, the easiest way is to go to http://www.g4jnt.com/SCRBG/donate/index.html and hit the big yellow button.  Or a cheque to me QTHR.

For info.   The beacons are:
  GB3SCS 2320.905    JT4G
  GB3SCF 3400.905,   JT65C
  GB3SCC 5760.905,   JT4G
  GB3SCX 10368.905  JT4G
  GB3SCK 24048.905  JT4G
  GB3SCQ 47088.905

All except the two highest frequency ones are GPS Locked to within a few Hz of nominal.