Re: VAT ... it looks like it's going to be difficult.

Clint Sharp <cjaysharp@...>

I may be unusual that I rarely ever buy anything worth more than a couple of quid from eBay or non UK sellers so even when the value was misdeclared on the CN22 I'm still comfortably under the old £15 limit and don't feel any guilt for it not having the correct price on it.

Agree it was wide open to abuse (and still will be) but, despite all the complaints about 'them Chinese' abusing the system, I bet *nobody* ever volunteers to pay the extra duty.

On Tue, 5 Jan 2021 at 14:35, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG <robin@...> wrote:
I think the thrust of it is mainly to stop the Chinese who have been taking the p155 with VAT for years.  I have never, ever had a parcel delivered from China with a correct value declared. It is always £5 gift, or "commercial sample"  ... collecting it directly on eBay/Amazon etc will solve that, and rightly so.

What I suspect they will do is simply warehouse the goods in the UK, with a low declared value on import, and then pretend to be UK sellers, with a turnover less than the VAT threshold.

I understand why they have done it, and thinking about it, I can see that if they had allowed packages to be sent VAT unpaid and had UPS or whoever collect the VAT, then the Chinese would have just put "value £5" on everything.

For now, I have set up a Mailboxde.com address, I'll try that and see how it works out.

On Tue, 5 Jan 2021 at 14:21, Clint Sharp <cjaysharp@...> wrote:
Looks like the era of easily available cheap components, modules and goods is over, there are a number of Chinese companies setting up warehouses in the UK though, I know of at least two local to me in Manchester but I've no idea how it will affect their prices, I suspect they'll float upwards to meet the mail order guys.

I'm afraid I have zero confidence that a petition will have any effect, the e-petition website is just a sop to people who still believe government is accountable, they just ignore or even laugh at petitions with many tens of thousands of signatures so I don't think one signed by a few hundred or even a couple of thousand hams will even register in their vision.

On Tue, 5 Jan 2021 at 13:54, Dave via groups.io <davidnewman55=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Ron,
I can support it.
Dave G4GLT.

On 5 Jan 2021, at 13:50, Ron <g6bmy@...> wrote:

The only way now is to bombard your MP with emails AND start a petition on the government website for a full debate with inthe commons - not just a decision by a bunch of jumped up prats.

A such I have worded a petition on the wbesite but need 5 persons to support it, via a link I will supply, before the petitio can go live.

Any takers?

Ron, G6BMY

--
Clint. M0UAW IO83

No trees were harmed in the sending of this mail. However, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.