Re: VAT ... it looks like it's going to be difficult.

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

I think the thrust of it is mainly to stop the Chinese who have been taking the p155 with VAT for years.  I have never, ever had a parcel delivered from China with a correct value declared. It is always £5 gift, or "commercial sample"  ... collecting it directly on eBay/Amazon etc will solve that, and rightly so.

What I suspect they will do is simply warehouse the goods in the UK, with a low declared value on import, and then pretend to be UK sellers, with a turnover less than the VAT threshold.

I understand why they have done it, and thinking about it, I can see that if they had allowed packages to be sent VAT unpaid and had UPS or whoever collect the VAT, then the Chinese would have just put "value £5" on everything.

For now, I have set up a Mailboxde.com address, I'll try that and see how it works out.

On Tue, 5 Jan 2021 at 14:21, Clint Sharp <cjaysharp@...> wrote:
Looks like the era of easily available cheap components, modules and goods is over, there are a number of Chinese companies setting up warehouses in the UK though, I know of at least two local to me in Manchester but I've no idea how it will affect their prices, I suspect they'll float upwards to meet the mail order guys.

I'm afraid I have zero confidence that a petition will have any effect, the e-petition website is just a sop to people who still believe government is accountable, they just ignore or even laugh at petitions with many tens of thousands of signatures so I don't think one signed by a few hundred or even a couple of thousand hams will even register in their vision.

On Tue, 5 Jan 2021 at 13:54, Dave via groups.io <davidnewman55=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Ron,
I can support it.
Dave G4GLT.

On 5 Jan 2021, at 13:50, Ron <g6bmy@...> wrote:

The only way now is to bombard your MP with emails AND start a petition on the government website for a full debate with inthe commons - not just a decision by a bunch of jumped up prats.

A such I have worded a petition on the wbesite but need 5 persons to support it, via a link I will supply, before the petitio can go live.

Any takers?

Ron, G6BMY

--
Clint. M0UAW IO83

No trees were harmed in the sending of this mail. However, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.