Re: Serious Apostrophacalyspe

militaryoperator

On Sat, 31 Oct 2020 at 22:58, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:
Apologies everyone!!!!!
In my last email I inserted an incorrect, misplaced and totally-wrong apostrophe.
"The 1970s"  does not take an apostrophe.  They should only be used for possession or to show missing letters.
There's a whole Facebook Group with 5600 members dedicated to correct use of apostrophes https://www.facebook.com/groups/apostropheprotectionsociety
Andy
--

I wouldn't worry Andy given that most newcomers to the hobby, and few older ones, can not even get the correct spelling for the thing that launches their signal into space.

aerial
noun C ]
UK

/ˈeə.ri.əl/
 US

/ˈer.i.əl/
(also mainly US antenna)
structure made of metal rods or wires that receives or sends out radio or television signals

I've seen aereal, arial, aireal, and so on, mostly on FB Group postings. (my spellchecker keeps trying to correct this line!)
It's the sad demise of English, just like the loss of Latin a few decades ago.
quod pertinet ad conserva,  Ben G4BXD