Re: WR90-SMA transition update

Neil Smith G4DBN

Hi Jacques, I’ll publish the drawings once I am sure the backshort distance is optimal.
Neil G4DBN

On 10 Sep 2020, at 06:50, Jacques PA3EVZ <Jacques.pa3evz@...> wrote:

Hello Alex,

Is there a drawing with dimensions,
I like it to machine it by my self.

Vy 73 Jacques PA3EVZ
Op 10 sep. 2020, om 07:28, Alex May M1BSX <alexmay@...> schreef:
A thing of beauty! :-)

Very intrigued as to how it was milled and whether you're using an empirical approach to determine the length of the "probe" ?

73s Alex (M1BSX)

Alexander R. May
alexmay.net

On Thu, 10 Sep 2020, 00:01 Neil Smith G4DBN, < neil@...> wrote:

This pic is my first try at machining an SMA coax to WR90 waveguide transition.  Milled it from a lump of 1 3/4 inch aluminium square bar on my ancient Bridgeport.    It needs a bit of trimming to get it bang on frequency as I left the pin a little long. Now I'm waiting for a load of Radiall SMAs to arrive from Mouser.

Neil G4DBN

I modelled it in OpenEMS with a three-inch length of WR90 mated with the oval cavity. Return loss (black) and through loss (red) look promising, I need to check the real thing once I have the probe filed to resonance.

Fusion 360 CAD image