Re: G0MRF downconverter

Colin Ranson

Hi Paul,

I really fail to see where you are coming from. I never suggested for one moment that the IC-706MK2G could transmit and receive at the same time.  All I want is full transceive, marrying up the uplink IF and the downlink IF as being on the same frequency on the radio, obviously the RIT will almost certainly have to be used to some extent.

The signal strength into the transponder can be monitored on the WEB SDR from Goonhilly..... or if that goes down I have a second  dish with stable LNB I can feed into a dongle at 739MHz.

Just out of interest on the uplink I use an SG Labs transverter into an SG Labs 20w amp throttled back to 15w. Uplink antenna is a so called ‘professional Super Cannon’ - a 16 turn helix made for the drone market with my modification of an arrow shaped tab inserted at the first quarter turn for the amp to ‘see’ a proper 50ohm.

The amplifier and 25MHz reference sit on the windowsill the other side of the shack with the helix on the other side of the wall.  As soon as I hopefully get some success with a new 25.788461++++ MHz reference using the Si clock chip I will let everyone know. I am not one hell of a know-all, far from it, I will have to get my good friend Martin Waller to program the ‘NANO’ or even a ‘MICRO’....that’s beyond my 70 year old brain these days.

I’ve just thought, if I do that I will need a bias tee ! 12v for the LNB presently derived from the MRF downconverter.

Best regards to all,

Colin de G8LBS, Ipswich.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10 Pro