Re: Earth stakes

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

You could just save the copper and effort and not bother?

Try measuring the actual impedance of an "earth stake" and it is frequently in the hundreds or even thousands of ohms in stony ground. At best, they help discharge a little static.   On 160m, I radiate a decent signal, and my ground system is bits of wire, fences and associate bits of metalwork that I have been able to press into service. The feed point impedance is quite low, I doubt an "earth stake" would have any benefit at all.

On Sun, 6 Sep 2020 at 18:40, Reg Woolley via groups.io <g8vhi=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hilti drills have an attachment that hammmer earth spikes in. Maybe worth trying your local hire shop. They go in real easy that way.

Reg g8vhi

Sent from Samsung tablet.

-------- Original message --------
From: Martin Phillips G4CIO <martin@...>
Date: 06/09/2020 18:10 (GMT+00:00)
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Earth stakes

A very large SDS drill. They sometimes have them at bargain prices in Aldi. I've got a 1 m x 25 mm one.

On 6/9/20 6:04 PM, g4zod@... via groups.io wrote:
Not quite microwaves, but still radio.
I have been trying to drive in earth stakes for my shack and  HF vertical.
I have tried using a sharped rod and a club hammer to start the hole ,but I am not really succeeding. (I also pour water into the hole to soften things up whilst driving the rod.)
I use 25 mm copper tubes and 10 mm copper coated rods.
Any advice on the best way to get about a Metre into stoney soil?
( The Dragon will not be happy if I dig out large holes on "her garden".
Many thanks.
G4ZOD
Sent from BlueMail