Re: [UKuG-Committee] UKMicrowave group Subscription - Cheque payments

Andy G4JNT

Having your mobile phone stolen with the banking app on it is no worse than having a credit card stolen (with the three-digit printed number on the back now known to them).
I haven't studied the Lloyds banking app in much detail as I have no need to use it, just downloaded it when the bank said it was available. For payments a contactless card is quicker than getting the phone out and entering the PIN.
I don't even use the fingerprint ID option on the iPhone, a 6 digit PIN is scure enough, when it is permanently locked after ten incorrect attempts.

PINs, even short ones, are a surprisingly good security feature so long as delays are increased after a 'few' wrong attempts.   And, of course, the algorithms used to hold them use proper cryptographic techniques.

On Sat, 6 Jun 2020 at 12:39, John Worsnop <johnworsnop@...> wrote:
Thanks for the feedback folks. Many  have suggested I get up to date and use the cheque scanning App that Lloyds provide with their phone banking App  ;-) so I have downloaded it to my personal phone now and used it with a cheque I just got. Seemed to work once I got used to it. So I propose to use it on a trial basis for a while.

I should point out, for avoidance of doubt, that, while my phone is password and face-recognition protected, nor are the login details stored on my phone, if my phone gets stolen and UKuG bank details are used to steal your money I will NOT be held personally responsible for refunding it.

I personally do not use mobile banking apps for this very reason due to the physical vulnerability of a handheld device.

If members, or your Committee are unhappy with this I would suggest we either return to the status quo, or use club funds to buy a Smartphone and a PAYG contract purely for this application, as I will not be held liable in any way for the loss of Club funds accessed from data on my personal stolen phone.

73

John

On Sat, 6 Jun 2020 at 08:18, Martyn G3UKV <ukv@...> wrote:
Hi John
I support the BATC view (below), echoed by quite a few others posted to date. [be inclusive]
73 Martyn G3UKV

On 05/06/2020 14:16, Noel G8GTZ wrote:

FYI – BATC went through this a couple of years ago when we installed our new web shop and membership system.

Personally I was against keeping the cheque facility but was persuaded otherwise on the basis that it excludes a small but important group of people and it is important to make the hobby as inclusive as possible.

As a result BATC does still take cheques and as a result of COVID we found that you can post cheques to your branch along with a paying in slip – an easy and not time consuming process which we consider worthwhile for a few members who feel more comfortable doing this rather than on-line transactions.

Noel