Re: [UKuG-Committee] UKMicrowave group Subscription - Cheque payments

John Worsnop

Thanks for the feedback folks. Many  have suggested I get up to date and use the cheque scanning App that Lloyds provide with their phone banking App  ;-) so I have downloaded it to my personal phone now and used it with a cheque I just got. Seemed to work once I got used to it. So I propose to use it on a trial basis for a while. 

I should point out, for avoidance of doubt, that, while my phone is password and face-recognition protected, nor are the login details stored on my phone, if my phone gets stolen and UKuG bank details are used to steal your money I will NOT be held personally responsible for refunding it.

I personally do not use mobile banking apps for this very reason due to the physical vulnerability of a handheld device.

If members, or your Committee are unhappy with this I would suggest we either return to the status quo, or use club funds to buy a Smartphone and a PAYG contract purely for this application, as I will not be held liable in any way for the loss of Club funds accessed from data on my personal stolen phone.

John       

On Sat, 6 Jun 2020 at 08:18, Martyn G3UKV <ukv@...> wrote:
Hi John
I support the BATC view (below), echoed by quite a few others posted to date. [be inclusive]
73 Martyn G3UKV

On 05/06/2020 14:16, Noel G8GTZ wrote:

FYI – BATC went through this a couple of years ago when we installed our new web shop and membership system.

Personally I was against keeping the cheque facility but was persuaded otherwise on the basis that it excludes a small but important group of people and it is important to make the hobby as inclusive as possible.

As a result BATC does still take cheques and as a result of COVID we found that you can post cheques to your branch along with a paying in slip – an easy and not time consuming process which we consider worthwhile for a few members who feel more comfortable doing this rather than on-line transactions.

Noel

From: UKuG-Committee@groups.io [mailto:UKuG-Committee@groups.io] On Behalf Of John Worsnop
Sent: 05 June 2020 11:52
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io; UKuG-Committee@groups.io
Subject: [UKuG-Committee] UKMicrowave group Subscription - Cheque payments

Due to the current situation I am unable to get to the bank to pay in cheques. So if you've sent me one recently, don't expect it to clear in the foreseeable future.

I will of course advise the membership secretary that the sub  has been paid if you do. 

You could really help by not paying your £6 (!!) by cheque,  and using our Paypal facility  (ukug@...) or contact me off reflector for UKuG bank details and doing a direct transfer (UK members only)

On reflection I'm of the view it's time, in the 21st Century, to stop accepting cheque payments altogether.

I plan to raise this with the committee in due course.

This currently is only my personal view as treasurer as I have to get in to my car, drive 5 miles in to Cambridge, park up, and walk for 20 minutes (from the only remaining free parking close to Cambridge Centre) to take them to the bank.

I'd appreciate member's feedback on this proposal

John G4BAO

UKuG Treasurer

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Join UKMicrowaves@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.