Re: Resurecting Pulse ...

Chris Bartram G4DGU

Hello Andy

I once, several decades ago, had a job designing RF diathermy equipment, and I was amazed at the ease with which it was possible to generate several hundred watts of 2.45GHz using a cheap magnetron. Locking of 'maggies' has been a topic of speculation for as long as I've been interested microwaves. At that time the PSUs were crude, although I was able to set that company on their path to the use of switchers before I moved-on.

I understand that the 6kW device used by the Bochum group to receive Venusian echoes was a phase locked, as opposed to injection locked, magnetron; it would be interesting to research that one day ... However, with the exception of 2.4GHz it seems likely that the sticking point would be locating a suitable tube tuned to an amateur frequency, unless, of course, somebody wishes to try making one!

73 Chris G4DGU

On 02/06/2020 15:21, Andy G4JNT wrote:
And talking of magnetrons:
There have been a number of discussions in the past about locking microwave-cooker magnetrons, but the consensus was that as they were not very high Q, it would need some tens of watts to injection lock properly.  But now those 'tens of watts' are commonplace.  So for someone with a kW rated circulator and a death wish ...

On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 at 14:21, Chris Bartram G4DGU <chris@...> wrote:
All of this talk of klystrons leads me to wonder what we might have been
able to do had the UK Amateur licence had not been amended to remove the
provision for pulse operation? A medium-sized magnetron, phase locked
and suitably modulated could well make quite an impression, particularly
now that good receivers and DSP are available  ... Please discuss,
dismiss, laugh, or cry as appropriate!

73 Chris G4DGU