Re: 10Ghz wanted

Martin Phillips G4CIO

I remember using klystrons with a slotted line in first year physics tripos to aid learning about Smith charts. I've always had a soft spot for them!

On 2/6/20 10:59 AM, Andy G4JNT wrote:
Blimey
At skool, A-Level physics, 1974 - 76,  we had a 10GHz klystron source used to demonstrate wave properties.     It was always difficult to adjust, with the high voltage (the reflector IIRC) having to be tweaked to get maximum, or any, output ; it was quite critical.

The teacher had been to a conference / exhibition for science teachers and had seen this new educational microwave source that t=did teh same job but ran from a 9V battery with no tuning needed.  He said he'd try to persuade the governeers to allocate the funds, but I left before he got it.

Having just got G8IMR at that time, I noticed the frequency was very close to an amateur band and did wonder what migh be possible...
It wasn't until a couple of years later that I got onto 10GHz, when Gunns were de-rigeur in Doppler modules.

On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 at 10:47, Martin Phillips G4CIO <martin@...> wrote:
I think I still have a couple of klystrons if you want to go old skool!

On 1/6/20 4:02 PM, militaryoperator via groups.io wrote:

Still interested in any 10Ghz gear available.

Looking at Kuhne it would be about 1058 Euro for his transverter, LNA, 2W PA and Seq4 board.
Quite costly this game, hi. Still, that's only 53p/mW

Ben